thanks, pdog.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 01:09 pm
Man, you're fast.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 01:11 pm
pd, "Ai" in Japanese means "love." Wink c.i.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 01:13 pm
Hmm. I didn't.

Having warned you away from Wallingford, though, there is a sushi place there -- Musashi's -- that I've never made it to because the wait is always very, very long and neither the gf or I are big on waiting, and I think they only take cash, and neither the gf or I have much of that, either. Very good reputation, Musashi's has...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 01:41 pm
What about Maneki's? I used to go there for my birthday dinners. I love tatami rooms.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 02:08 pm
Now, to put a twist on the sushi thing. I'd definitely want to find a place that serves japanese food - not just sushi. I can't usually find enough on a sushi menu to eat sushi alone. I want sauteed spinach, I want age dofu, I want I want I want. Actually. There's agreat japanese restaurant (Roka) a block from my house, but I always figure (despite rave reviews) that there are places in the West that excede Roka's good traits.

thanks, Cic, it's good to know how to say love in many languages.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 04:03 pm
Musashi's? Just what are they slicing that stuff with. Reminds me of an old Tadashi Yamashita demo - watermelon, not fish.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 04:49 pm
Miyamoto Musashi was a skilled samurai in Japan. c.i.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 05:05 pm
It's a very, very small restaurant. I hate to imagine. (And am pushing Jon Belushi from my brain...)
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 06:53 pm
Patiodog, sorry to take so long to reply re the Nippon Kan bldg: I wasn't there yet during the quake, but I understand it was scary for those who were. Some cracks, but nothing substantial. The location is fantastic, and I love walking through the park and public gardens to get to the ID. We're going to move to a new site at 401 Broadway in a year or two, and I know I'll miss the place...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 06:56 pm
It's a great building. Have you had a chance to look at the old photos on the walls in the theater? Pre-interment sumo matches and kabuki plays and formal gatherings and whatnot. very cool, though not very well taken care of, to say the least.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 10:24 am
Haven't been in the theater when it was lit enough to see much, unfortunately. But I did venture in there once when we were trying to find the basement. The dark theater was a bit spooky, very atmospheric. There are terrific photos of the old ID in the Panama Hotel, which is just south of Nippon Kan. Also very atmospheric, but not spooky...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 10:28 am
Panama Hotel. I'll have to check it out next time I'm down there.

(Once nodded off at the light board in that theater and woke up with the very brief notion that it might have ghosts. A very old Japanese man was standing on the other side of the booth glass, looking at me. Turns out he was just there to meet somebody who had stepped out for a moment and he'd gone a-wandering...)
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 11:13 am
There must be a lot of history in that theater. Any idea when it was built?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 12:09 pm
I think I heard somebody mention that our next Western Gathering will be in Seattle. I hope somebody is taking note of all the good place to visit, because I'm a "good probable' to join the A2K group in Seattle. c.i.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 12:37 pm
There's been some definite talk about it, c.i. I hope it does happen. Chances care, if this bears fruit, it will be announced in this thread.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 12:50 pm
(According to this brief article, it was built in 1909, inactive starting in 1942, and reopened (with bad electrics -- take it from me) in 1981.)
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 12:50 pm
To meet my friend C.I. - kool
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 01:16 pm
Thanks for that history of the Nippon Kan Theater, patiodog (and the others, as well). Nice that the place was preserved during that long hiatus. Now I'm wondering how the part of the bldg I work in fits in with the theater. Was it always the same bldg?

Of course, in Seattle, a bldg is old if it's been around for 90 years. The history of white folks in this city is rather brief...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 01:21 pm
Short, brutal, intolerant, and filled with bad plumbing, it's been.

But we continue to digress. Poor 'k can't get a word in ;-) ...
0 Replies