Portland, Seattle, Vancouver

patiodog

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 10:43 am
Seriously? Marymoor? Magnusson? That place up by the Edmonds ferry where they can run way out into the slowly deepening sound. (And that frequently features families gathering mussels that dogs have pissed on and that I fear are ending up in restaurants.) And 't'other wee ones, like Northacres and Woodland Park and that one out at the end of Ballard, you know, whatchamacallit, that thee small in stature for this town are still a damn far sight better than anything going on in any other city I've seen.

(They end up taking away that big one down by the narrows airport? Emergency landing space, I think the justification was...)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 11:07 am
Nasty mussels. I would never consider eating them. I was at what seemed like a tiny park just north of the Edmonds ferry a few months ago.... is the dog walk just past that, going north?

I thought Marymoor was closed and anyway it is so far. Magnusson allows loose dogs? Woodland Park has a dog run?? End of Ballard? I guess I'll have to check a website. One of our favorite days was taking our other chow to Seattle, to visit the International District. She loved, loved, LOVED the smells on the street.

Yes. They took away my beautiful walk at the airport. I now go to the beach below the Tacoma Narrows Bridge and was fussed at by a man for having my dogs off leash. (I fussed back. He can go anywhere to walk.... and we are on a deserted beach and of course, he is shaking a stick at the dogs, who immediately think he wants to play, being stupid puppies.) The beach is, of course, at a slight angle, which makes my right hip ache when it's on the downhill side. (An old sports injury, I think.) Plus the tides are tricky and people have been caught and needed to wade in spots.

It has been awful losing the airport. The justification was they are getting $10 million dollars from the Federal Government to dome over the road and fill in the unevenness of the approach (this airport is the longest of its kind already, in the entire state). We had a lawyer say that dog walkers are transients and wouldn't be at risk, but it has been fenced off. For a while they had concertina wire but that was taken down.

I cannot explain it to my dogs. We drove by yesterday and the windows were down so they could smell it... they got so agitated and Penny, at 45 pounds, NOT a small dog, tried to climb onto the back ledge to watch it disappear into the distance. I'd say that they cried, but they didn't. They did however get very quiet. I was glad to get them to our destination, Doc Weatherwood's old beach frontage that he donated to the county parks department.

Okay, sorry for the digression...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 11:18 am
There's a good dog run in Ballard, too, I believe.

If there is to be a gathering in Seattle where beer is consumed, I'd love to partake! I know good places in several neighborhoods.

Ales I like: LaConner IPA, Diamond Knot IPA, Leavenworth IPA. All great, all hoppy, all from small, local breweries.

Re the Underground Tour: I guess it can be fun; I didn't mean to demean the experience...The Pike Place Market is definitely worth a walk through, and I second the suggestion re Fremont, though it's starting to lose its charm as it becomes more corporate...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 11:21 am
In my original post I mentioned a good old restaurant in the Market... the one with three levels that looks old and funky. Do any of you Seattleites know the name... Lowe's or something like that? It has a glass wall and always seems to be a little steamy?

Littlek -- going to the San Juans is incredible. If you possibly have time... whew. Orcas and the views from Mt. Constitution. The very coolest way is to fly in, of course, but then you don't have a car and you need a car, or else strong legs and a bike... nah, you NEED a car. San Juan Island and that big old park on the point... American Camp??? Fabulous.

Here's a map:

http://www.guidetosanjuans.com/maplg.gif
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 11:24 am
Hi D'A! Yep -- lots of beer. I'm not a huge beer drinker myself, a little goes a long ways with me, so I am frequently the designated driver. Have you ever been to the Tides Tavern?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 11:25 am
The Athenian (at the Market) has great views of the bay, as does Lowell's. I'm more familiar with the former. A decent place for lunch, a good bar, and redolent of the old Market...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 11:48 am
There's an excellent chowder place (okay, you're a Bostonian, but bear with me) about a half-mile's walk north of the Market. Chowder in a bowl, great view of the sound, tables outside if the weather's good, and very cheap...

Side notes:
D'Art -- to say Fremont is losing its charm is the understatement of the year. I moved into the neigborhood a mer 3.5 years ago and have watched Adobe Plaze go up on the water, then that building across the way and the health club, seem battles between the health club and the Fremont Sunday Market (c'mon: stairmasters or neighborhood institutions?), seen the great old building with the great old Dubliner get moved and the new, shiny Dubliner go in. Grrrrr..... Everywhere I've lived so far in my life it's the same. I show up, and the place turns into a strip mall. Sorry folks: it appears that I bring it with me.
Piffka -- Marymoor's had 40 lovely acres, including riverside swimming, for as long as I've had the dogs. It costs a buck to park now, but it's well worth it. Magnusson's still being renovated, but it's also very large and there's a swim beach on the lake at the end of it. Only about 5 (maybe 7 or 8) acres at Woodland Park, and pretty muddy, but it's got some big oak trees and was very convenient when I was living on Phinney Ridge...

Okay, sorry 'bout that, 'Kay.
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 12:46 pm
Hi D'artagnan.... Sounds Great, for the beer-type meeting place!! Seattle has some great pubs!!

Hi patiodog.... We rescued a Border Collie in November, and the rescue group has several 'get-togethers' in Marymoor Park each year. We're really looking forward to going there with our dogs. What's the chowder place that's north of the Market? I love a good bowl of chowder!!

Hi Piffka.... oh, poor doggies, to lose their off-leash park.... but, the beach sounds like lots of fun!!

Last summer, we tried to find the off-leash park in Ballard, but couldn't find it.... we ended up at the off-leash park in Woodland Park.... our "Jack" had a great time playing with the other dogs!!

Very Happy
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 01:09 pm
Don't know of the Tides, Piffka, where is it? Sounds like a good place.

Patiodog--I know what you mean re places losing their charm as soon as one moves there. Only it's happening everywhere, so don't take it personally. Fremont, when I first came to Seattle 20+ years ago, reminded me of Eugene, where I'd lived most recently. It retains some of that charm, but it's eroding. I heard about the gym's fight with the outdoor market. It's a perfect example of what's going wrong in Fremont! I think gyms are a blight in every neighborhood. In Capitol Hill a Gold's Gym replaced a movie theater. !@#*&!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 01:23 pm
^!@&^@!#$&^!

(Dunno the name of the chowder place. It's not short on NW kitsch; I've just kind of stumbled on long walks along the water down to the market. Really more about the view and the bread and the price than the chowder itself...)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 02:33 pm
That's the great thing about dog parks... the other dogs to play with. We are bereft, truly. The beach is not nearly as good, PaL, though it is better than nothing. We have to be extremely careful of the tides. Good workout for the dogs though, jumping all the downed driftwood.

Lowell's! That's it. I had the best couple of Bloody Mary's there earlier this month, sitting at a great waterside table on the second floor. Here's a website:

http://travel.roughguides.com/planning/journalEntryFreeForm.asp?JournalID=1678&EntryID=2033

D'A, you like the Athenian? I think it is prettier. We used to love Place Pigalle, but it has been turned into a fancy restaurant, not the raunchy bar it used to be, full of all sorts of strange characters.

The Tides is the great old tavern of Gig Harbor, whose city fathers frown on too much alcohol being sold and so have always limited liquor and tavern licenses. Fun if you have a boat, or better, a friend with a boat, as you can tie up and come in for pizza, etc. The only other tavern of note in town is the Hy-U-Hee-Hee, which is not as good IMO, nor is it on the water.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 03:10 pm
Piffka: I like the Athenian, and it's a great place to bring visitors. I could do without the frosted mugs for beer, but I guess there's something quaint about it. One oddity is that you can't pay for booze and food on one bill. Food goes on the bill, but booze must be paid for when you're served it.

Haven't been to Gig Harbor, but now I must check out The Tides!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 03:25 pm
Please do! It is particularly nice on a warm day when you can get a table on the deck and watch everybody float by! (And keep an eye on your own boat, if needed.) Also v. amusing to watch those who may have had too much to drink try to get back into their boats.

I will try the Athenian next time I'm at the Market, though I was quite fond of Lowell's.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 06:32 pm
Omilord - my head is spinning. You're all so wonderful! So, what about P&L's idea for a gathering? Or would that be too much?
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 07:04 pm
Hi lil'k.... Yes, a Seattle Gathering!!! Great Idea!!!

Let's ask D'artagnan to make the decision about the location.... He says he knows some good beer-type places....

D'artagnan... OK???

Should we keep specifics in private emails?? This is a very public website.... Our celebrity status as A2K'ers could attract mobs of TV crews and reporters!!! Laughing

D'artagnan, if you ever go down to Tacoma, try 'The Harmon' on Pacific Avenue, by the University of Washington Tacoma Campus. They brew their own beer right there. Very Tasty!!! Hmmmm.... it's 5:00 here... quitting time.... a beer is sounding pretty good!!!

Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 07:07 pm
yes, email or PM.....
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 08:01 pm
Oh littlek, I'm soooo jealous!! Ever since I met Peace and love and Piffka and seattlefriend, I've wanted to get to WA. It WILL happen before too much longer! Enjoy your trip and please write a detailed report when you return. (Pictures!!!)

Stoat, I'm so glad you've been teased out of hiding!! It's good to see you.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 09:07 pm
hold on - hold on - what if I was teased or bribed to drive over for this gathering? Naaa - you thing I would really do that?? Sounds good but........
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 12:57 am
Speaking of Seattle Friend, Diane, just where the devil is she? Surely she's been invited many times over.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 01:11 am
A secretive lot, these north-westerners!!!

I've followed with great interest the arrangements for the Boston gathering, Florida gathering, New Mexico thingy, and the London meet! I've even tentatively agreed to meet pueo in Sydney, and Piffka's friend Janet!

Why the big secret? Waaaaah! Us out of towners feel excluded! I might just have been planning to fly in on my way to somewhere..... Confused

AS the bunny would say, and regularly does.... HAAAARRRRRUUUUMMMMPPPPHHHH!!!!
0 Replies