Portland, Seattle, Vancouver

patiodog

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 09:55 am
I've heard there's good sushi at the Portland airport, but not from a reliable source ;-) .
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 10:00 am
SUSHI!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 10:02 am
You like? I'd recommend some, but I've yet to find any up here worth recommending. Some good sukiyaki to be found in little hole in the wall places in Seattle's International District...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 10:03 am
What's sukiyaki? Yes, please on the recomendations!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 11:03 am
Sukiyaki

Don't know names of addresses of anywhere I go, I'm afraid, and I don't go down to the I.D. as much as I used to (used to work at the Nippon Kan theater down there). Sorry 'bout that. If the place looks small and humble and is full of both Japanese and scruffy NW kids, it's a good sign.

(The world's worst tour guide, am I.)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 11:13 am
Sukiyaki is sort of like a Japanese chow mein. Usually made with thin strips of marinated beef and good vegetables, frequently cooked at the table. Really yummy. Your waitress will pronounce it SKEE yah kee.

I thought of a place you need to see in Portland, Powell's Book Store. It may be the best used book store on the Pacific coast and inhabits several buildings near the University of Portland.

http://www.powells.com/

There is also a home-grown retail and catalog store nearby called Hanna's which has terrific, somewhat costly clothes for children. The main store is near Powell's but there is an outlet in south Portland, Lake Oswego, where you can find really good deals.

http://www.hannaandersson.com
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 11:17 am
Piffka, My wife and I visited Powell's bookstore. It is HUGE! c.i.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 12:18 pm
Pdog - What's the ID? Is it a neighborhood? I use that method for picking ethnic restaurants, usually. Thanks for that link, it looks yummy.

I think I saw a reference to that bookstore! Both the mom's I work for are subscribers to the Hanna catalogues.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 12:20 pm
Wow, patiodog, you used to work in the Nippon Kan theater? Our paths almost crossed--I work in that bldg now, only not for the theater. Often go to Chinatown for lunch with a co-worker who's Chinese and grew up in Seattle. Needless to say, she knows every nook and cranny there and comes up with great ideas for lunch. I'm very lucky!

littlek: ID = International District = Chinatown. Adjacent to Pioneer Square, also worth a walk-through...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 12:21 pm
Any fabric stores in chinatown?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 12:22 pm
Oh, I'll have a lay-over at the seattle airport. One is just for an hour, may not have time to roam, but the other is for over 2 hours. Anything interesting in the airport itself?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 12:31 pm
Seattle: Sushi Review
Seattle: Vegetarian
Seattle: Vegetarian II
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 12:31 pm
Re fabric stores in the ID: Not sure (not my area of expertise) but I can ask around. As for SeaTac Airport, well, an airport's an airport, but you may find some regional touches of interest...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 12:34 pm
Thanks D'Art, I was just looking up ID.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 12:46 pm
Northwest Virtual Map
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 01:02 pm
4 stars for Ai! Eek. I've been there. Poorly rolled, bad texture, and way too warm. Granted, this was for lunch. I Love Sushi in Seattle is pretty good, but not fantastic. (You've gotta go to San Francisco or Santa Cruz for fantastic sushi...)

D'Art -- it's wild that you work in the Nippon Kan building. I designed lights for three or four shows for Stepping Stone Productions (don't bother; they're pretty bad) there a couple of years ago, around about when the earthquake happened. Any cracks from the quake in your office there? The plaster in the theater cracked pretty good in a couple of places, and people were monitoring the building shift. (Beautiful park and public garden up there, too.)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 01:06 pm
Uwajimaya's (Wa gee My uh's) is the largest "department" store in the International District. It sells, food, toys, pottery, clothing & shoes, books, stationery, etc. Fun to browse -- you could easily spend a couple hours there. They might have fabric.
0 Replies

littlek

ok, so no to which restaurant?

I was in SF's japantown a few (10? Man...) years ago. It's when and where I fell head over heels for Japanese food (not sushi).
0 Replies

littlek

thanks Piffka.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 01:08 pm
(No to the place called "Ai!", based on my experience. It's in a neighborhood you probably won't have cause to go to, anyway; not much to do or see in Wallingford.)
0 Replies