Reconnected with first love....and devastated

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2018 11:13 am
Four years ago, I met up with my first love after 30 years. We were both married but realized that our feelings were still the same and decided to leave our families and be together. It really felt like a single day had not gone by. Our relationship was always a long distance one as we live in different cities, but we started meeting every couple of months and phoning/chatting online daily. It was the first time either of us had cheated on our spouses and it never felt like cheating…it just felt natural. I was so happy, like never before in my life. He has always been my soulmate and he says I am the only woman he has ever really loved in his life.

The initial arrangement was he would come over to where I live and try to get a job while I supported both of us. On the day he decided to come over, 10 months ago, he backed off, said it was over in spite of him loving me, as it could lead nowhere. I begged him to reconsider and eventually he agreed to us being together again and decided to find a job so we could be together on a more equal basis.

However, I felt very insecure about what had happened and was acting needy and putting pressure on him. On his part, maybe because he felt very anxious himself about his own issues, he was not so loving and outgoing.....long silences, many times he refused to speak to me and went radio silent for weeks after a fight. Lately, our conversations were no longer so carefree, but revolving around our outstanding issues, with me constantly pressing him about whether he had news on the job, about his feelings and intentions towards me etc….he was always assuring me that he wanted us to be together, always saying he loved me and that he was doing all he could for us to be together as we should be…..but less and less outgoing and communicative…..

A month ago we had an argument over the same issues and he suddenly said it was over between us. I started writing long emails to him explaining my feelings and reactions, apologizing for putting too much pressure on him and obsessing about things, saying I love him and asking to talk….I know he reads all of my e-mails instantly but he never responds…..It hurts so much going to no contact from being into so close contact with him for the last 4,5 years. I can't bear the idea that if he does not relent, I may never speak or see him again. The worst is I don't understand why. Was it the pressure from me? Was it that he was not so very honest about his plans to find a job and leave his wife, or maybe things didn't go as he wanted them to...or what? Even so, why did he do this so suddenly and without explaining why?
I wish he would just speak to me and explain what's on his mind.

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2018 12:05 pm
@elenikostas,
First you say you both decided to leave your respective spouses, but at the end you indicate that he never left his wife. Did you leave your husband? (Sounds like you might have, but I'm not sure based on your post.)

In any case, this is what you get when you have an affair. In nearly every post on here the woman talks about how the man swears he doesn't love his wife or he is going to leave his wife for her. And guess what? In nearly every case he never leaves. Face it, you are his piece on the side. That is probably all you ever were.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2018 12:50 pm
Really, it sounds like he has gone under the covers.

You can assume that he has had second thoughts and is with his wife; in fact, probably never left.

He sure does owe you an explanation - but what if you don't get it?

Are you going to be alright?

Did you leave your husband?

elenikostas

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2018 08:23 am
@PUNKEY,
Neither of us left. We were planning to for the last 3 years. No, I don't think I will be alright. It's not a simple affair. It goes back a whole lifetime. I need him in my life. I miss him as a friend, as a soulmate.
Mame

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2018 08:40 am
@elenikostas,
doesn't sound like he feels the same way, does it?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2018 10:55 am
@elenikostas,
elenikostas wrote:

Neither of us left.

why haven't you left your husband?

doesn't he deserve to be with someone who wants to be with him?

__

and really, if I was the other guy, I wouldn't leave my family, job, home if the other person hadn't taken the steps to leave their family and started to set something up for me in the place I'm considering moving to
elenikostas

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2018 11:26 am
@ehBeth,
I left for six months....waiting for him....cooked dinner on the day I was expecting him....when he backed off...ask before accusing
ehBeth

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2018 12:21 pm
@elenikostas,
elenikostas wrote:

Neither of us left.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2018 12:36 pm
@elenikostas,
Quote:
I left for six months....waiting for him....cooked dinner on the day I was expecting him....when he backed off...
And this only reinforces what I wrote earlier. You were simply his piece on the side. He never had any intention of leaving his wife for you. If he had, then he would have.

I feel really sorry for your husband and his wife. They deserve better.
0 Replies