bronchitis sucks

Piffka

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 11:35 am
Sozobe -- the saline spray is good but doesn't give the same kind of "flush." For the little Sozlet, it would be lots easier to administer and handy for traveling. It's the difference between a light spray and a full-blown (haha) rinse. Very Happy There's a brand called Ocean, which has buffering as well as salt. Depending on the way you turn the bottle, it goes from spray to drip to flow. I never knew a kid who would put up with the "flow" at all. But Ocean gets expensive if you want to use 1/4 cup of liquid per nostril.

I noticed that some of the neti websites describe a mix that includes baking soda. That must be the buffering agent. It seems like a lot of trouble to add if the salt & warm water works OK.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 11:43 am
Piffka - i DID the nettie pot.. that is what was so wierd about it. I was expecting it to just.. you know.. sort of flow down my throat. Instead, it went in one nostril and then out the other and down my shirt. It scared me when I felt my shirt get wet and I had to control the urge to jump back since I was still pouring water...
oy.. Strange..

Today, of course as with any sickness, I feel worse. Some of the stuff im coughing up seems to have a life of its own. As i am sure not everyone has an iron stomach like I do, I will save the details of the snot rags. Laughing I actually developed a fever this morning.
I am feeling achy and just awful. ( Waahhahaha-sob-sob-waaahahahaha)
this is awful.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 11:50 am
ohhhh, get lots of rest, take the meds, take care of yourself.

Can I get you some tea?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 11:54 am
Shewolf, remember what the doc said, if it doesn't get better go back!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 11:59 am
I have to go back to see him thursday no matter what. He is going to monitor the fluids in my lungs to make sure I am ok. But, yeah, between now and then if I feel worse Im going to an emergency room. No questions asked.

Oh yes JB some tea would be WONDERFUL. Nice hot mint tea to help stimulate the circulatory system and get this sickness outta me.

Hmm.. that made me think of my herb cabinet. ... I have many herbs I could be taking to help this also.
Anyone have any suggestions ? Mint will be one I am going to take now. What about chamomile? I know it is good for digestion and relaxation.. ? Think it may help my chest?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 12:00 pm
I'd do ginger chunks stewed in hot water with a little lemon and honey. Chammomile can be a little allergenic. I'd want to stay away from it if I were you.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 12:02 pm
Oh, I misunderstood. Well then, no wonder it seemed so weird. Very Happy Mr. Wolf brought you home a neti pot? What a nice guy!

Are you taking antibiotics? They should kick in by the end of the day today if you started them yesterday. Regular doses of Advil or generic Ibuprophen can be taken with Dayquil. That's what kept me sane when I was sick. The plain version of Robitussin (or a store brand that says it is mostly Guinafen) is also good. My bout with a similar sounding illness started in earnest on December 24th, so I had to go to the Urgent Care clinic... Christmas was not much fun.

Hang in there. I'm sorry you're sick. Sad
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 12:05 pm
Piffka - sorry to hear that!

I'm trying to remember all my herbal lore.....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 12:27 pm
licorice root is good for lung - getting the inflamation down and the mucus moving. My book says barberry is good for reducing bronchial constriction. Slippery Elm is good for coughs. Thyme treats coughs and bronchial discomfort. Anise, asafetida (indian spice) treat bronchitis. Common red clover helps with loosening lung gunk. Sunflower!,

don't use chamomile or mint, they irritate bronchial tract!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 12:31 pm
Thanks, littlek -- I'm fine now. (yay)

Plain ol' black tea with lemon & honey is good. Mr.P made me a lot of Aveda's Comforting Tea... which was comforting and mostly mint, I think. Love it. (Can you imagine buying tea at the hair salon?)

I also had some tea called Gypsy Cold Remedy. It had a bit of licorice flavor.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 12:32 pm
Ok, so Thyme, Anise, (maybe asafetida) and sunflower seeds can be found in a grocery store. Licorice root (which is sweet tasting), slippery elm, barberry would be easy to find in herb store - health food shops. Look for red clovers in the back yard......

I'd try to make a tea with licorice root, anise and thyme and throw in some red clovers if you can find some. You might want to try any of these (or none) with a big bowl of steaming water. Put a towel over your head and breath the steam in.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 12:33 pm
Or just plain ol' lemon and honey. Honey is an expectorant, lemon is... something good.

I bought Gypsy Cold Remedy last night! (I'm coming down with something and I'm fighting it with everything I've got because the last thing I want to do is get sick and get sozlet sick.) Good stuff. I'm feeling much better today, though that could be the Sudafed. :-)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 12:33 pm
That Gypsy Cold Care tea is good, I think I have some.....
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 12:39 pm
sozobe wrote:
Or just plain ol' lemon and honey. Honey is an expectorant, lemon is... something good.

The lemon supposedly thins mucus. It definitely tastes good and adds Vitamin C, at any rate! Very Happy
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 12:50 pm
Uh-oh, Sozobe. Good luck with your self-ministrations. Dang, it is awful to be sick, especially while you're taking care of a child.

Mac -- yep... tasty & vitamin C. I don't know about thinning the mucus, but there used to be a theory that keeping your body in an acidic state was good. I'm not sure if anybody still believes that,

Mostly, I add it because I've always loved the taste of lemons. Nice & sour. Yum.

http://www.kidzworld.com/img/upload/article/a3640i0_cupoftea-185.jpg

All of us -- get well, be well, stay well.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 12:56 pm
littlek wrote:
don't use chamomile or mint, they irritate bronchial tract!

Shocked
oops. I didnt know this. And it is a little late for the mint.. oh well..
I have Grieve's herbal encyclopedia.. and i read it, but it had no mention of aggrivation of the bronchial tract? What herbal book do you have?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 06:58 pm
You need to be really careful about using any herbs that you might possibly have an allergic reaction to (chamomile's probably just about top of that list for a lot people - very common allergen). The allergy - asthma - bronchitis trail is well-travelled Sad

From the Mayo Clinic's selfcare page on bronchitis (I got there from my home away from home medlineplus.gov)

Quote:

These suggestions can help make you more comfortable, speed recovery and prevent complications of acute bronchitis:

* Get plenty of rest.
* Drink lots of fluids.
* Use a humidifier in your room. Warm, moist air helps relieve coughs and loosens mucus in your airways. But be sure to clean the humidifier according to the manufacturer's recommendations to avoid the growth of bacteria and fungi in the water container.
* Take a nonprescription cough medicine. It's best not to suppress a cough that brings up mucus, however, because coughing helps remove irritants from your lungs and air passages. If your cough is keeping you awake at night, use just enough cough medicine so that you can rest, but not enough to suppress your cough completely.
* Avoid irritants to your airways, such as tobacco smoke.
* Wear a mask when the air is polluted, or if you're exposed to irritants at work.

mayo clinic - lotsa links hither and thither on this topic

If you're a health nerd like I am, this page is where it's happening.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/newsbydate.html

It primarily covers latest research results. Not too hooked on traditional Western medicine - interesting coverage on nutrition, research re alternatives.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 07:16 pm
BM
This thread is a fund of useful information. Very Happy I'll be back.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 10:59 pm
the book I was refering to is: A Complete Guide to Vitamins. Minerals and Supplements by H. Winter Griffith, M.D.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 07:53 am
Just an FYI for anyone contemplating the nasal cleansing.

I got myself an ear bulb thingy and made my salt solution. Then following the directions in the link from piffka, shot it up my nostril. It didn't hurt but it was slightly uncomfortable for me. Mine too, went in one nostril and came out the other. (This is because your sinues are all connected.) I felt somehow better when I was through.

So this morning, when I woke up I did it again. I swear this works. I can't believe it but this works better than any nasal spray my doctor has every prescribed and it is completely drug free!

THANKS!!!
0 Replies