bronchitis sucks

mac11

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 10:24 pm
Sleep well, shewolf. I'll be sending healing thoughts towards Austin. (And maybe those drugs will fix you up!)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 11:13 pm
Shewolf - TAKE the DANG drugs! Or I'll fly out there and force them down. I've had practice with this from dosing my dog. Take the meds, sleep, drink.... and why the hell not try the nettie pot. I don't see what good it will do for your chest, but it does make your sinuses feel better. Just make sure to make the water a saline solution.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 11:17 pm
hamburger has to do the saline solution up/down/whatever his sinuses every day to prevent chronic recurrent nasty sinus/bronchial stuff from taking control. it's kept his system in good shape for a few years now - which has been a nice change. i was always worrying about him and his sinuses.

it's not at all a new-agey thing. it's a remedy that's been around in various ways for centuries. and it can work for the right conditions - and it prevents bacterial growth from settling in - creates an unfriendly environment in there

take your meds - try to sleep - get a vaporizer going

take care of yourself!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 11:57 pm
My sister uses a neti pot and here's a link to a website that sells them, but you don't really need one.

Neti pot resource

A neti pot will probably cost $15-20 or more for a stainless steel version and they're sometimes hard to find. Plus you have to keep them clean.

You can easily rinse your sinuses in a more natural way using the palm of your hand and a little salt & water. A doctor recommended this to me and I do this sinus cleansing when I'm ill. Mix about 1/2 cup of warm water with a scant 1/4 tsp salt (as you would for a mild salt water gargle). Cup the palm of your hand and pour a tablespoon's worth of the mix in the natural cup of your hand. Take a deep breath, let it out and then suck that up one of your nostrils, while pinching the other side (I just press mine to the side of my palm... it works perfectly). It will feel weird, like when you're swimming and get water up your nose. The water will drain down your throat or you can spit it out. Repeat with the other nostril. Then repeat in each nostril a couple more times. When you're sick, you may want to do this two or three times a day.

Once you get the hang of this, you can do it all in just a couple of minutes. It is good for your sinuses and will clear them dramatically. The salt is a natural inhibitor for bacteria & viruses, too. If you live near the beach, you can do a similar thing with a shell & clean seawater... if you dare. Very Happy
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 12:03 am
http://asthma.nationaljewish.org/treatments/alternative/nasalwash.php

Here's an official description of a saltwater nasal wash. As you you'll see, if you use the appliances, they recommend that you carefully clean and store everything, don't share, etc., whereas your hand is right there, easily cleaned and then you're done.

I love simple solutions.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 01:01 am
Thanks, piff, listening on this.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 07:33 am
Shewolf, take care of yourself!!!

((((((((((((((((((shewolf))))))))))))))))))
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 09:14 am
Shocked
Oh my god!
Saying it feels wierd is an UNDERSTATEMENT!! ha!
that ... was the strangest experience I have ever had.
It was strange to begin with, trying to inhale water when you naturally dont want to... but the warm water in the nose, then the tingle of the salt... Woohoooo!
But, WOW, it made a diffrence. About an hour afterwords ( im sure you all want to hear this:lol:) I was able to blow my nose and it was -ahem- very productive?! hehe.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 09:16 am
It hurts when I get water up my nose. Burns a lot. Is that normal?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 09:18 am
Kristie - yes, if it's fresh water. We have salt water in our bods, so if you want to intentionaly put water up your nose, make sure there's salt in it. It's the same with your eyes. That's why contact lens wearers use saline solution to wet their lenses before putting them in.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 09:19 am
And, Shewolf, how are you feeling today?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 09:23 am
By the way you can also just buy a nasal spray (saline solution) if the whole snorting up water thing is daunting.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 09:24 am
littlek wrote:
Kristie - yes, if it's fresh water. We have salt water in our bods, so if you want to intentionaly put water up your nose, make sure there's salt in it. It's the same with your eyes. That's why contact lens wearers use saline solution to wet their lenses before putting them in.

ooohhh.....I never thought of it that way.....hm. Cool. I might have to try this remedy as I suffer from sinus problems all the time.

Shewolf looks like she might be back in action! Shocked Yeah!!! http://www.michael-fitz.de/smile/froehlich/caramba.gif
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 09:25 am
sozobe wrote:
By the way you can also just buy a nasal spray (saline solution) if the whole snorting up water thing is daunting.

I have Nasacort and I HATE the way it makes me feel. Nose bleeds and a funny feeling in my head. So the water deal might be the answer. Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 09:25 am
Soz, I keep a saline spray in my bedroom. I doubt it's the same thing, though it does help a lot. I am not entirely sure, as I've never used a nettei pot. But, I have seen a couple people using them and talked to them about the whole deal. I keep meaning to buy one.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 09:27 am
The saline spray isn't medicated -- just regular saline (water and salt). Same stuff as what's being talked about here, just different way of administering it (spray vs. sniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiifffffffff...)

I haven't used it but have used it on sozlet and it helps.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 09:38 am
Nevermind....saw the previous post.

I am an idiot today.

Thanks for the advice guys! Sorry I hijacked your thread Shewolf! :wink:

Edited: Because I found the answer to my question.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 09:39 am
My housemate always used house salt.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 11:15 am
I hope you feel better soon Shewolf!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 11:18 am
shewolfnm wrote:
Shocked
Oh my god!
Saying it feels wierd is an UNDERSTATEMENT!! ha!
that ... was the strangest experience I have ever had.

Laughing ... it is really, really weird. But if you think that's weird, consider the neti pot. Somehow the water goes in one nostril and out the other. (How is that possible????) The saltwater in the hand is an old fisherman's trick.

I hope you feel better soon.
0 Replies