bronchitis sucks

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 09:26 am
My chest hurts, my head is swimming, I cant stop coughing and I just feel achy all over.
Everything seems too loud and I feel dehydrated even though i am drinking about 5 glasses of water every day.
Crying or Very sad

I am taking calcium and b-12 to help. Im going to go see a doc this afternoon as I am loosing my balance from the infection . I think it is moving to my inner ear.
Any thing else I can take at home to help me feel a little better so I can keep up with Bean until I go to the Doc?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,079 • Replies: 99
No top replies

mac11

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 09:29 am
Tylenol or other pain reliever so your chest won't hurt?

Liquids are the most important. Keep that up for sure.

I'm sorry you're sick!
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 09:31 am
OTC expectorant and/or Yogi Tea Breathe Deep.
0 Replies

sozobe

Oh, I'm sorry shewolf. Being sick always sucks. Being sick and taking care of a kid sucks doubly. Being sick and taking care of a sick kid sucks triply -- she's fine so far?

Glad you're seeing the doc. He'll tell you you need to rest. Can hubby stay home? M-i-l take over?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

ahhh... i forgot that. I do have asprin, i need to go take some. I also have some Ibuprofin, but asprin is a better idea since it will also help drop my fever.
( wah) i feel like i could sleep for months and still not get better. :-(
thanks mac!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 09:33 am
This infection just started saturday. he will be home today at 12 . I didnt think it was going to get this bad so i sent him to work this morning. hehe!
He was going to stay home but I told him that I should be able to make it today Ok and that i would call him when i really needed him. I dont usually get sick so I want him to save his time off for emergencies.
he will enjoy the half day, I will enjoy the Doctor visit. >sigh<
:-)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 09:34 am
ibuprofren will bring down a fever, too.

definitely take that to start with.

i mean standard medical disclaimers, but that's what we do (adults and kid.)
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 09:36 am
true.

And yeah, bean is so far ok. Just grumpy because I am so out of it, I am not playing/reading to her as much as usual.
We have monitored her temp for the past few days.
It hasnt gone over her normal 99.3 so.. ( crossing fingers)
So far So good......
I am going to have my aunt watch her this afternoon when Mr wolf and I head to the doc. I dont want bean going and catching something ELSE in the waiting room. hehe.
There is only room enough for one sick baby in this house and thats ME!!! Laughing
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 09:37 am
Do you have a humidifier? One of the problems with bronchitis is your body overcompensates for the dry air it's breathing by producing more phlegm. If you don't have a humidifier put a teakettle on a slow simmer or run a hot shower and sit in the closed bathroom. It might make you cough more temporarily (like an expectorant) but the humidity will help a lot.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 09:37 am
Sorry to hear this, shewolfnm. Take good care. Smile
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 09:45 am
that is a good idea JB, i never thought of that. When bean takes her nap I will do just that. :-)

thanks msolga.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 09:48 am
I had this two years ago, and delayed getting to a doctor. The cough was so bad, it caused me to pass out. Get to the doctor, and convince him or her that this is indeed serious. Prednisone (sp?) and several inhalers (all prescription)are helpful.

OTC stuff didn't seem very helpful, but Nyquill, or something might let you get some sleep at night. Take this seriously.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 09:48 am
When Bean naps, you nap! That's another thing. Get as much sleep as you possibly can.

Glad someone will be watching her for you when you go to the doc.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 09:49 am
I have asthma so I am a bronchitis veteran. Lots of fluids, an expectorant when you can be up and coughing, and an expectorant/supressant when you need to be sleeping. A humidifier will help a lot. Also, propping yourself up a little at night and sleeping on your back helps with the breathing. If you are very congested, (and you get a chance with someone watching the lil Bean) take a hot shower. That always helps clear me up. Not perfect but better.

And here's a ((((((((((((((shewolf))))))))))))))) to feel better.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 09:51 am
I have had this once before, that is how I know it to be bronchitius.
My doctor has no openings this afternoon, so hubby is coming home and we are going to the minor emergency room. There will be no delaying this doc visit! I remember having coughs that bad too. Though mine never made me pass out, but they did make other unpleasant ' body functions' happen due to the sheer force of the coughs. Embarrassed
It was the most painful thing I have ever experienced in my chest. I never want it to get that bad again.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 09:54 am
This past weekend I did get to nap alot. Between MIL and Mr Wolf I had a relatively easy weekend to try to recoperate. But, it has gotten worse. I didnt think it was going to be so bad.. ( sigh)
Bean will nap here in about an hour maybe hour and a half. I will get a good warm shower going and sit in the bathroom ( this is the one time i amglad it is a small room) and read a magazine or something for about 40 minutes.
Mr wolf should be home by 1. Then it is off to the ER with my sick butt.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 10:50 am
Ug. I called mr wolf and said to come home now.
so he is on his way.. and i will be in the er soon.
Oh god, this feels awful.
I called my friend Jon who is a doc and he said that I shouldnt be surprised if I get placed in a bad for overnight observation?!Shocked
he thinks this may be combination bronchitius / ear infection wich could be a SERIOUS upper respitory infection since it has only gotten this bad in less then 3 days.
WWAAAaaahhhhhhhhhhhh
now i really want to cry and be a baby
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 11:12 am
Ooooh, shewolf - please take care of your self! And please let us know your progress!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 11:31 am
ohhhh, Shewolf.

I hope Mr. Wolf is there right now, taking you to the emerg.

No messin' with OTC stuff. The doc whacked me for that bigtime last year. Told me to go to the clinic if symptoms lasted more than 2 days - no more OTC expectorants/suppressants for me. I learned my lesson about symptom suppression Sad (and so did my manager)

Hurry home, Mr. Wolf.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 10:08 pm
The ER doc was leaning twords pneumonia.
He said that the amount of fluid in my lungs was enough for me to be placed in the hospital for treatment of pneu. instead of bronchitius.
What convinced him to let me go back home today was that I have had NO fever and no throat inflamation.
( sigh )
I have to go back to him in 2 days. He was really nice!
He made a slot for me in his office schedule thursday. I have not met many ER docs who have the time or who WILL make the time to do that. He said that if the fluid in my lungs is worse by then he is going to change the diagnosis and admit me to the hopsital for pneumonia. This bothers me as Mr Wolf doesnt have time from work to do this and MIL just used all her vacation days for added time during christmas. Ug.
I wish i could have gotten sick at a diffrent time!
Mr Wolf is suggesting a nettie pot....??????Anyone familiar with this thinggy? All I know is that it allows you to pour salt water into your nostrils and is supposed to help clear any sinus drainage and may help with chest infections...? Eh? Sounds a little too -new age- for my comfort.. but?
He sent me home with 4 diffrent RX's. oy .. moy.. I hate taking drugs..
So it is off to bed with me. :-(
0 Replies