Iraq...what is going to happen and what will Bush/Rove do?

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 07:42 pm
blatham wrote:
The government has just been named.

In charge of oil?

Chalabi.

NO FREAKIN' WAY !!!!!!

i just looked it up blatham, you're right it says that defense and oil will be "acting ministers" w/ chalabi as acting for oil.

well. that certainly worked out well for l'il ahmed, didn't it ?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 09:29 pm
Worked out well for the US, oil interests, and the neoconservatives too...a symbiotic relationship all the way round. Well, not maybe all the way round. There are those 100,000 dead Iraqis.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 01:07 am
blatham wrote:
Worked out well for the US, oil interests, and the neoconservatives too...a symbiotic relationship all the way round. Well, not maybe all the way round. There are those 100,000 dead Iraqis.

yeah, i know what your feelings are about that. i'm not happy about it either.

however, i'm much more bummed out about the 1500+ dead and the 12,000 wounded, maimed and fubar'd young americans that have taken it for the team. all thanks to the bush agenda. actually, i don't believe he has the brains to come up with this **** on his own. but since his handlers always insisted that he's his own man, and nobody tells him what to think... well, i guess the responsibility for this mess lies squarely on his overly emphasized big man shoulders.

welcome to your legacy, little george. ya shoulda listened to your daddy and left iraq the hell alone.

sorry blatham. i'm particularly pissed off about this crap tonight...
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 05:16 am
dtom

Hopefully, historians will be left with enough unshredded paper and un-erased hard-drives such that we can understand properly what role Bush actually had in this administration.

But to start another day badly, how's this?
Quote:
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-sudan29apr29,0,6605677.story?coll=la-home-headlines

"Freedom is on the march"
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 05:25 am
And, on the Blair government pre-war legal advice from the attorney general...
Quote:
Lord Goldsmith's legal opinion reveals the full extent of the attorney's concern about the risk of Britain being hauled before international courts which would even scrutinise allegations of war crimes by British troops.

It warns that British troops must use no more force than necessary to get Iraq to disarm. The attorney also makes it plain to Mr Blair that, in law, regime change could not be an objective of military action - a problem which did not concern the Bush administration.

His warnings to Mr Blair were not shown to the cabinet, which saw only Lord Goldsmith's later parliamentary answer, stripped of any of his earlier caveats.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,1472977,00.html
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 06:49 am
blatham wrote:
There are those 100,000 dead Iraqis.

I know you mean well, but spouting these erroneous claims just makes you seem easily swayed by the liberal media.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 07:41 am
Quote:
By ELISABETH ROSENTHAL,
International Herald Tribune

Published: October 29, 2004

PARIS, Oct. 28 - An estimated 100,000 civilians have died in Iraq as a direct or indirect consequence of the March 2003 United States-led invasion, according to a new study by a research team at the Bloomberg School of Public Health at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 08:02 am
Quote:
The WP fronts a look at Iraq's constantly failing electrical grid, where after investing at least $1.2 billion over the past two years the average daily output is still lower than prewar levels. A recent poll found that Iraqis ranked the lack of electricity as their biggest problem, ahead of crime. Now that the new Iraqi government has taken over, U.S. officials insist they are not responsible for fixing the electricity and are only supporting local officials in the task.
http://slate.msn.com/id/2117831/

As I suggested earlier, responsibility (and blame) will be shifted away from the US.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 08:06 am
Quote:
U.S. Recruits a Rough Ally to Be a Jailer
By DON VAN NATTA Jr.

Published: May 1, 2005

Seven months before Sept. 11, 2001, the State Department issued a human rights report on Uzbekistan. It was a litany of horrors.

The police repeatedly tortured prisoners, State Department officials wrote, noting that the most common techniques were "beating, often with blunt weapons, and asphyxiation with a gas mask." Separately, international human rights groups had reported that torture in Uzbek jails included boiling of body parts, using electroshock on genitals and plucking off fingernails and toenails with pliers. Two prisoners were boiled to death, the groups reported. The February 2001 State Department report stated bluntly, "Uzbekistan is an authoritarian state with limited civil rights."

Advertisement

Immediately after the Sept. 11 attacks, however, the Bush administration turned to Uzbekistan as a partner in fighting global terrorism. The nation, a former Soviet republic in Central Asia, granted the United States the use of a military base for fighting the Taliban across the border in Afghanistan. President Bush welcomed President Islam Karimov of Uzbekistan to the White House, and the United States has given Uzbekistan more than $500 million for border control and other security measures.

Now there is growing evidence that the United States has sent terror suspects to Uzbekistan for detention and interrogation, even as Uzbekistan's treatment of its own prisoners continues to earn it admonishments from around the world, including from the State Department.

...and attempt to escape responsibility and international (and US) laws on torture through using others to do the dirty work.

...and maintain relationships with authoritarian and anti-democratic regimes when it suits their purposes, 'freedom on the march' notwithstanding.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 12:24 pm
more on permanent bases in Iraq
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,1490063,00.html
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 12:55 pm
Quote:
A source at the Iraqi defence ministry said: "We expect these facilities will ultimately be to the benefit of the domestic forces, to be handed over when the US leaves."

You did read that last bit there, right?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 12:58 pm
I did. Unfortunately, I've learned that people do not always say truth.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 01:02 pm
*sigh*
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 01:21 pm
blatham wrote:

As I see it, you seem to believe that's the case unless the US government suspects them of being a terrorist ....
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 01:35 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
blatham wrote:

As I see it, you seem to believe that's the case unless the US government suspects them of being a terrorist ....

I like you. Stop being so fukking dull.

At the very beginning of the war, a US general let slip to some reporter that the US was considering a number of large and permanent US bases in Iraq. I noted this at the time on one of the early US, UN, Iraq threads. The strategic value is obvious.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 01:41 pm
blatham wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

I like you. Stop being so fukking dull.

I have repeated that several times now, haven't I. Okay ... I'll try and move on. :wink:
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 01:53 pm
I don't believe they were using the same definition of "permanent" that you are though Blatham.

Permanent means buildings vs. tents. plumbing instead of barrels. concrete instead of sandbags.

You are thinking it means "For US use only". It doesn't, although I do not find the thought of a continued US prescence in the mideast unappealing. I'd like to see it more along the lines of what we have in Germany instead of what we have near the DMZ in Korea.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 02:24 pm
McGentrix wrote:
I don't believe they were using the same definition of "permanent" that you are though Blatham.

Permanent means buildings vs. tents. plumbing instead of barrels. concrete instead of sandbags.

You are thinking it means "For US use only". It doesn't, although I do not find the thought of a continued US prescence in the mideast unappealing. I'd like to see it more along the lines of what we have in Germany instead of what we have near the DMZ in Korea.

It was a 'him' rather than 'them'. And it referred to US owned and operated installations, and he meant permanent, 'permanent' being the word he used. What was uncertain, he said, was the size of the footprint they would keep in place.

One can at least make some sense of THIS strategy, in terms of geopolitics and resources. Osama and his crowd were, we'll recall, pissed initially about US military presence in Saudi Arabia. At the time (and still) various regimes including the Sauds are in real danger of being overturned by popular local extremism. The US, frankly, wouldn't give a damn but for the essential oil supply and their relationship with Israel. And outside of the powerful and incredibly effective Israeli influence on American policy-makers, it's likely the US wouldn't give much of a damn about Israel if it were situated elsewhere, say mid-Africa.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 09:04 am
Quote:
Doubts about the withdrawal of coalition troops from Iraq were raised last night after the Cabinet Office rejected calls for an audit to be published on the readiness of Iraqi forces to take over their own security.

The request to publish the report by the retired US General Gary Luck was made under the Freedom of Information Act by Sir Menzies Campbell, the acting leader of the Liberal Democrats. But it was rejected on the grounds that it would "impact negatively upon the UK's international relations".

MPs said the report suggested that the withdrawal of some coalition troops later this year would be a gesture to relieve pressure in the US and Britain for the pull-out to begin, but that Iraqi forces were not ready for a large-scale reduction in US and British troops....
full article
0 Replies