Iraq...what is going to happen and what will Bush/Rove do?

blatham

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 07:46 pm
Character assassination is the game. Whether of McCain, Max Cleland, Kerry, Richard Clarke, O'Neil, now Reid, whoever is not with them becomes targeted for villification. We'll recall DiIulio's letter to Suskind where he recounted passing Rove's door and hearing the fellow screaming, "We will fuk that fukker like he's never been fukked before!" And the villification spreads out from a thousand points of yuck.

They are bad guys. They are the most dangerous crowd I've seen arrive in any western government in my lifetime.

I'm terrifly pleased to see Dean as the near sure DNC head. The number of folks on the right who have been instrumental in establishing the modern republican machine who use war terminology to describe what they are up to is quite amazing. That is the way they think and act. Folks on the left are a bit late understanding the new rules of this game, but I think Dean is one who has it figured.

Right now I've got two books on Shakespeare on the go, plus Vidal's book on Washington (who, in the midst of serious financial troubles, almost moved to canda...a little datum I didn't know), and David Brock's 'The Republican Noise Machine'. That last one is the one I love to open, but I can't concentrate on it or I'll go totally nuts.

The folks from the right here insist that if dems become too strident it will only hurt them. But the right has gained the power it now has by being absolutely malicious. Scaife and Murdoch are two of the ugliest humans I've bumped into, and they've got a lot of company.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 08:40 pm
Up front here, I quoted DiIulio's observation that this White House was concerned (while DiIulio was working in it) almost totally with appearance and that substantive policy discussions might be counted on one hand.

This AP item points to how this White House actually operates.
Quote:
Karl Rove, the senior political strategist who orchestrated President Bush's re-election campaign, has been promoted to deputy chief of staff, a job that will involve him in most White House policy and not just politics.

Rove will retain his title as senior adviser and will continue to oversee strategy to advance the president's agenda. In addition, he will continue to oversee the offices of intergovernmental affairs, political affairs and strategic initiatives.

But he will add to his portfolio the oversight of all White House policy development and coordination of the Domestic Policy Council, the National Economic Council, the National Security Council and the Homeland Security Council, White House press secretary Scott McClellan said.

The promotion has rankled a few Democrats.

``Empowering Rove in this way shows that Bush cares more about political positioning than honest policy discussions,'' said Terry McAuliffe, chairman of the Democratic National Committee. ``Bush knows that Rove is neither an economic nor a national security expert. He is simply an ideological strategist. ... Clearly, Bush thinks political manipulation matters more than keeping the president honestly informed about the state of the country.''
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 03:09 pm
rove...

i can't stand that guy.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 12:47 pm
On the Venezuela issue...more 'concerns' raised by the administration.
Quote:
Venezuela - Russia Arms Deals Troubles U.S.
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: February 10, 2005

Filed at 5:39 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The State Department said Thursday it is very troubled by Venezuela's arms purchases from Russia, signaling concern that some of the weapons might end up with leftist rebels in Colombia.

The weapons could have a ``destabilizing effect'' on the hemisphere, department spokesman Adam Ereli said. He added that the United States had raised the issue with Russia several times.
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 07:09 am
Venezuela is a small-time player - nobody worries about them. The action is in Asia:

"Asia Times Online has learned that in a highly clandestine operation, the US has procured Pakistan-manufactured weapons, including rifles, rocket-propelled grenade launchers, ammunition, rockets and other light weaponry. Consignments have been loaded in bulk onto US military cargo aircraft at Chaklala airbase in the past few weeks. The aircraft arrived from and departed for Iraq. "
http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/GB15Ak02.html
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 10:29 am
jesus christ...thanks helen, hadn't even heard a hint of this story. (I've put the Ven. issue on another thread).
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 05:55 pm
Noting that the present extra-budget request of 82 billion more for Iraq includes funding for 14 "enduring bases"... http://www.globalsecurity.org/org/news/2004/040323%2Denduring%2Dbases.htm?r=679&id=5311-5631016-m7UdOe5BtDVkwyEoIvLWug

But golly, all this administration wanted was the march of liberty. No intention to stay. Nothing to do with 3/4 of the world's oil supply.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 01:18 pm
That works out to about 8,000 U.S. troops per base. A reasonable number.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 07:15 am
HofT wrote:
Venezuela is a small-time player - nobody worries about them. The action is in Asia:

True but it is still grist for Blatham's mill. Discrimination in these matters is not his forte.

Quote:
"Asia Times Online has learned that in a highly clandestine operation, the US has procured Pakistan-manufactured weapons, including rifles, rocket-propelled grenade launchers, ammunition, rockets and other light weaponry. Consignments have been loaded in bulk onto US military cargo aircraft at Chaklala airbase in the past few weeks. The aircraft arrived from and departed for Iraq. "
http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/GB15Ak02.html

What do you suppose is the intended use of these weapons? My bet would be for the Iraqi security forces themselves. The weapons infrastructure in Iraq is based on these Soviet weapons (and some French ones as well).
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 08:44 am
Write Oliver North, george. He may have some inside information.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 07:15 pm
He may. But we are able to think for ourselves. What do you suppose these weapons are for?

Did you know that the middleweight boxing finals at the Naval Academy in 1967 were fought between Ollie North and James Webb (author and former Secretary of the Navy)? Ollie won.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 09:59 pm
George,

Please pick up your personal messages. We'll be in San Francisco later this month, and would like to have dinner with you and the Mrs. We'll be staying at the Stanyan Hotel across the street from Golden Gate Park. Friday evening, the 29th would be optimum for us. Would like to be in touch to make arrangements, etc.

Ash
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 06:24 am
If you two get together, could you please punch each other in the nose for me?
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 09:08 am
Such hostility! And why, haven't we always been civil to you? Is it ust because we hold widely different political views? Chill out Blatham.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 09:44 am
Liberals claim to be tolerant folk, but it seems very often they are the ones offering violent responses to those that offer views they don't agree with -- throwing pies or salad dressing at them ... punching them in the nose .....
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 09:48 am
I thought he was just kidding around... Shocked
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 10:09 am
McGentrix wrote:

Of course he was, .... and so was I.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 10:12 am
McGentrix wrote:

tsk, tsk, mcg. everyone knows liberals have no sense of humor... :wink:
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 10:51 am
Nah...McG and I often have an odd affinity for each other.

Asherman...you ninny. OK, if no punching, then please at least give each other one of those "sailor's kisses".
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 10:54 am
LOL..........

Bernie is as non aggressive as they come. If you doubt it, just ask him. I thought it was an excellent non violent way to express his annoyance.

Anyway, would you kiss each other on the cheek for me? See what a loving liberal I am?
0 Replies