Iraq...what is going to happen and what will Bush/Rove do?

blatham

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 09:37 am
Lash wrote:
OK-- <btw, thanks for the clarification> --if you accept Zell as a Democrat, we can refer to Gergen as a Republican...

<smiles>

Lash
That's a completely inappropriate analogy. You wouldn't make it if you were familiar with Gergen's work.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 09:51 am
Blatham-- I do know Gergen. He's much more polished than Zell--but the analogy applies.

They both claim loyalty to the foundational principles of their parties.

They have both criticised their party leadership to excess.

They are both seen by their parties as turncoats.

Just because one has a nasally twang, and seems assured to break out in a fire and brimstone sermon doesn't change their basic similarities.

I used to think a lot of Gergen. It is confounding that just because you and I reach different conclusions, you must accuse me of "not knowing of his work."

That is an incorrect assumption.

<emoticon revealing serene countenance>
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 09:56 am
Not gonna continue this with you.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 09:58 am
Lash wrote:
You Democrat/ liberal types have imbued that man with God-like powers...

Us Democrat/liberal types have imbued the man with Satan-like powers. And underestimated Dubya's prowess to boot. Wake up call...eh?
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 09:59 am
blatham wrote:
Lash wrote:
OK-- <btw, thanks for the clarification> --if you accept Zell as a Democrat, we can refer to Gergen as a Republican...

<smiles>

Lash
That's a completely inappropriate analogy. You wouldn't make it if you were familiar with Gergen's work.

I agree. I have always considered Gergen a thoughtful, pretty much middle-of-the-road, non-partisan. OTOH, Zell Miller is a nut.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 10:03 am
Lash wrote:
Blatham-- I do know Gergen. He's much more polished than Zell--but the analogy applies.

They both claim loyalty to the foundational principles of their parties.

They have both criticised their party leadership to excess.

They are both seen by their parties as turncoats.

Just because one has a nasally twang, and seems assured to break out in a fire and brimstone sermon doesn't change their basic similarities.

I used to think a lot of Gergen. It is confounding that just because you and I reach different conclusions, you must accuse me of "not knowing of his work."

That is an incorrect assumption.

<emoticon revealing serene countenance>

Lash, you could just as easily say:

They are both men.

They both put their pants on one leg at a time.

They both are involved in politics.

Both are American citizens.

------------------------
Get the point?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 10:09 am
Chrissee--

They are both undermining their parties.

Not a whole lotta that going on.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 10:10 am
OK, anyone want to get back on topic?

I think that the administration is trying to lay the groundwork to find an excuse to get out. This a no win situation for Bush, how they are going to try to spin this into soemthing less than one of the most disastrous policies in modern times will be quite interesting to watch and almost worth having to put up with "four more years of hell."
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 10:18 am
which is why we will be out in mid administration. his wont tarnish any "legacy" craap and will give a good lead in for Mcains run for pres. Mcaain will be the Gerald Ford who restores credibilitty to an otherwise tarnished GOP .
So, the civil war in Iraaq will probably be underway by 2007 aat the latest
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 10:20 am
McCain as saviour of the GOP...hasn't this balloon been shot down countless times?
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 10:40 am
farmerman wrote:
which is why we will be out in mid administration. his wont tarnish any "legacy" craap and will give a good lead in for Mcains run for pres. Mcaain will be the Gerald Ford who restores credibilitty to an otherwise tarnished GOP .
So, the civil war in Iraaq will probably be underway by 2007 aat the latest

The civil war is already underway in Iraq. How else would you describe it?

At 73, would not McCain become the oldest first term Presidential candidate?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 12:57 pm
Quote:
One military expert who has been briefed by the Pentagon said on Tuesday that part of the $80 billion would be used to establish more permanent military bases in Iraq, assuming the new Iraqi government permits a long-term American military presence

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/26/politics/26deficit.html?hp&ex=1106802000&en=c7126fc1dd9acc44&ei=5094&partner=homepage
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 01:21 pm
yesterday it was also reported that of the +/- $150b requested (so far) by the admin, only about $2b has been spent. and the guys still don't have the armor.

now they want another $80b ?

i know that a portion of it is for reconstruction and that is going slowly thanks to the "loyal iraqi resistance" (tongue in cheek!), but, where the hell is the money going ??

i think that's a fair question to ask.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 01:35 pm
I'd like to see some accounting for the money they have received thus far as well.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 01:38 pm
I'm still waiting to hear who leaked Valerie Plame.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 01:55 pm
McGentrix wrote:
I'd like to see some accounting for the money they have received thus far as well.

Some good info here:
http://www.defendamerica.mil/downloads/Iraq-WeeklyUpdate-20050112.pdf

The actual "accounting" is somewhere on the DoD website, most likely.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 06:40 pm
dyslexia wrote:
I'm still waiting to hear who leaked Valerie Plame.

Her husband.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 06:45 pm
and you believe that?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 07:53 pm

Wilson lied. About a few things. He deliberately tried to make Bush look like a liar. Plame asked Wilson to debunk Bush's assertions. Under investigation of his "story", it was discovered Bush wasn't lying--Wilson and Plame were.

If people refuse to believe that--there's no use talking about the rest of it.

I believe what was widely reported in a few papers, and broadcast. This article, i.e.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2005 08:01 pm
Columnist Robert D. Novak has said that he learned of Ms. Plame's status through a leak by senior administration officials. So Lash you are suggesting that Novak lied when he said his information came from "senior administration official"?
0 Replies