What rules would You set for civil behavior?

layman

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 02:38 pm
@Glennn,
Quote:
As on every Friday, a protest march was set to take place...Dozens of villagers surrounded the “villa,” knowing there were soldiers within.

Kinda makes it sound like they were lookin for some trouble, eh? Sounds like one of them found it.
Glennn

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 03:01 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Kinda makes it sound like they were lookin for some trouble, eh? Sounds like one of them found it.

You bring your sorry uninformed ass into this thread lookin' to be set straight? We'll start here:

Let's hear your sorry uninformed ass tell everyone why there's a protest march there every Friday. Yeah, you gonna have do some research now, son. Gonna suck to be you. So tell us the reason for the Friday protests.
Glennn

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 03:13 pm
@layman,
I'm going out for my regular Friday night card session. That will give you a chance to do your ill-timed research so that you'll know what you're talking about and why you shouldn't have talked.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 03:35 pm
Wish you fools would stop.
oralloy

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 07:53 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
You should have let this sleeping dog lie.

Why? I fear no facts.

Glennn wrote:
Here's the story of what happened:

Interesting.

It doesn't alter my assessment that they likely feared that he was a suicide bomber come to kill them.

They probably only fired the rubber bullet because they desperately reached for the closest weapon. The guy is very lucky that they didn't fire lethal weapons at him.

Glennn wrote:
Correct. But shooting a bound and blindfolded man in the leg does.

But the people who you wrongly accused of cowardice were the people who fired upon a perceived threat, not the people who fired a rubber bullet at a bound and blindfolded person.

I also see no justification to accuse cowardice against people who fire a rubber bullet at a bound and blindfolded person. It is a criminal offense for sure. But questions of cowardice seem unrelated to the issue.

Glennn wrote:
It would be if it wasn't committed by the same organization.

Being committed by soldiers from the same army does not change the fact that it was a completely unrelated incident.
oralloy

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 07:58 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
Let's hear your sorry uninformed ass tell everyone why there's a protest march there every Friday. Yeah, you gonna have do some research now, son. Gonna suck to be you. So tell us the reason for the Friday protests.

If you wish to explain the reason for the protests, feel free to do so. I don't see why you are demanding that Layman research this.
Glennn

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 10:17 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
Wish you fools would stop.

Only a fool would wish such a thing.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 10:32 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
It doesn't alter my assessment that they likely feared that he was a suicide bomber come to kill them.

Yeah but ya know, the shooters were in the village and the villagers wisely wanted to know if they were there, cuz ya know, the IDF has been known to shoot at people--even blindfolded people. So a kid looks over a wall to find out whether or not the coast is clear and gets his head rearranged.
Quote:
I also see no justification to accuse cowardice against people who fire a rubber bullet at a bound and blindfolded person. It is a criminal offense for sure.

If they wanted to be perceived as better than cowards, they might have untied him, taken his blindfold off, and challenge him to a one on one fight with the least cowardly among them. But they must have had no interest in being perceived as less than cowards because they opted to keep him tied and blindfolded and then shoot him in the leg. Cuz ya know, that way nobody gets hurt, right? And a good day was had by all but one.
Glennn

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 10:46 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
If you wish to explain the reason for the protests, feel free to do so. I don't see why you are demanding that Layman research this.

It's always better when someone's uninformed ass finds out the hard way that they've been talking out their ass. Also, I didn't demand that he do the necessary research to understand that his uninformed ass is uninformed concerning the reason for the Friday protests. I simply told him to do it. Big difference. So you sho 'nuf needn't pity him since I can't actually force him to do the research and report back to me his discovery that his ass was indeed uninformed.
Quote:
I also see no justification to accuse cowardice against people who fire a rubber bullet at a bound and blindfolded person.

This bears reposting as it exposes the extent to which your bias has warped your values. Shooting a bound and blindfolded man in the leg is pure cowardice besides being the criminal act of a sadistic person.
oralloy

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 11:32 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
So you sho 'nuf needn't pity him since I can't actually force him to do the research and report back to me his discovery that his ass was indeed uninformed.

I expect that you are the only one here who has read up on this incident, so technically all of the rest of us are uninformed about it.

But all he did was note that the Palestinians were asking for trouble. That seems a reasonable summary of all Palestinian behavior. I don't see the problem with what he said.

Glennn wrote:
This bears reposting as it exposes the extent to which your bias has warped your values.

My bias is for the truth. It does not conflict with my values.

Glennn wrote:
Shooting a bound and blindfolded man in the leg is pure cowardice besides being the criminal act of a sadistic person.

Not by my reckoning. I don't see how the question of cowardice enters into the equation at all.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 19 Jan, 2018 11:36 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
If they wanted to be perceived as better than cowards, they might have untied him, taken his blindfold off, and challenge him to a one on one fight with the least cowardly among them. But they must have had no interest in being perceived as less than cowards because they opted to keep him tied and blindfolded and then shoot him in the leg. Cuz ya know, that way nobody gets hurt, right? And a good day was had by all but one.

So are we both cowards for posting on this messageboard? After all, instead of posting on this messageboard we could instead be out doing some insanely dangerous activity (mountain climbing without a rope for instance).

All sorts of safe activities could be deemed cowardice if they are compared with risky activities.

Perhaps people who wear seatbelts in automobiles should be denounced for cowardice.
centrox

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2018 04:37 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Perhaps people who wear seatbelts in automobiles should be denounced for cowardice.

I've been doing that for years. And motorcyclists who wear those pantywaist helmets. Hell, I run with scissors every day, just because I can, and no goddam liberal pinko snowflake cheese eating leftist is gonna stop me.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2018 09:55 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
So are we both cowards for posting on this messageboard?

No, only the one who uses this message board to defend cowards.
Quote:

Sure. Everyone knows that wearing a seatbelt is just as cowardly as shooting a bound and blindfolded man in the leg. I mean, that kinda just goes without saying.
oralloy

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2018 06:36 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
No, only the one who uses this message board to defend cowards.

I don't know. It's pretty cowardly of you to post messages when you could be out BASE jumping.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BASE_jumping
glitterbag

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2018 08:31 pm
@oralloy,
Although I seldom understand why you insist on writing such spaghetti brained things I must take a moment to thank you for reminding why I should never read ANYTHING you post. I’m sure you believe the fantasies you post, God bless, but I just can’t read this stuff anymore....it makes me so freaking sad for you.
roger

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2018 08:37 pm
@glitterbag,
I thank you for following the discussion about civil behavior.
layman

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2018 08:42 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Talkin for my own damn self, Rog, my idea of "civil behavior" comes from the civil war. Like Sherman, with his "scorched earth" march to the sea, ya know? Also known as "total war."
oralloy

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2018 08:49 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
Although I seldom understand why you insist on writing such spaghetti brained things I must take a moment to thank you for reminding why I should never read ANYTHING you post. I’m sure you believe the fantasies you post, God bless, but I just can’t read this stuff anymore....it makes me so freaking sad for you.

Did you notice that you were unable to point out a single factual error in anything that I wrote?

You didn't notice that, did you?

Well, now that I've pointed it out, maybe ponder that fact for a moment and see if you can draw any conclusions from it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2018 08:49 pm
@layman,
That wasn't civil. It was military.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2018 08:52 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

That's true. While she certainly objected to my post, she didn't subject me to any horrible name-calling.

I find this sort of disagreement from people far preferable to the kind where I am bombarded with name-calling.

EDIT: In fact, now that you pointed it out, I just decided to thumb UP her post to me (and your post too).

I certainly don't agree with her assessment of my facts. But three cheers for disagreement without name-calling.