French hyper-sensitivity

Lash

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 04:48 pm
There is much more irrational vitriol all over this place than on this thread.

However, none of it has made me suggest someone's grandmother would like a rape--or to excuse it when someone I liked made such a suggestion.

But, we obviously do things much differently.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 04:51 pm
Lash wrote:
And, you, she and I know FULL WELL who she meant. In her zeal to make a negative remark to me, she overlooked her bud was guilty of the offense--and I had made a delightful funny--in response to the beginning of the "rape introduction", provided by Magus. I merely followed suit, and with quick anti-French wit, I must say.

<the jury sends a note to the judge: "Your Honor, we don't even need to leave the room..."

Yes, Lash - the others' jokes were vile inexcusable attacks, but your joke about how French women were so slutty, they didnt even needed to be raped by our boys! was just delightfully witty and tasteful.

In some world.

Meanwhile, dlowan consistently condemned the joke of "her bud" as well as yours, AND was the only one in this thread after page two to actually seriously respond to questions raised.

Look at how she responded to your quip about wrongs perpetrated by Australia and compare your own reactions to anyone raising stuff done by America.

But no, you're right to be fuming about "the crap" she was just "making up", saying that you had "attacked Stilly for his very offensive comment" - when in fact you'd merely called it, well, er, a "distasteful" comment! What "crap" to be "making up"!

<shrugs>
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 04:54 pm
I only came into this recently.

If Stilly hadn't already apologized by the time I came 'round, I would have condemned it.

Like dlowan did.

I'm happy to condemn it retroactively.

Along with your very tasteless one about how French women were so slutty that they didn't "need" to be raped... which I haven't seen an apology for.

If it was the other way 'round -- you apologized, and Stilly refused, darn tootin' I'd be joining everyone else in condemning it.

<nimh-ish shrug>
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 04:56 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
sozobe wrote:
As Craven said about the larger issue being discussed, sometimes it's not so much defending as pointing out irrational vitriol.
Which was very insightful and wise... but doesn't excuse looking past the far greater of two evils to criticize your favorite adversary. The hypocrisy and team effort to defend it that manifested itself here was more surprising to me than Still's disgusting comment was in the first place.

I think ya'll need to check yourselves, before lashing out any further. Idea

I'm not playing the "which tasteless post are you more offended by" game with you guys.

I have nothing whatsoever to do with the idiocy being played out, so please leave me out of it.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 05:10 pm
Sorry Craven.
Soz, I should have known Nimh would have a better bead on you. Laughing
Lash. I repeat. Your joke caught me off guard and I laughed my a$$ off. Off color at worst. Those placing it in the same category as the truly disgusting remark that followed either don't like you, are covering for their buddy or they are indeed hypersensitive like the thread title suggests. Don't lose a second's sleep over it. I wouldn't. <OCCOM SHRUGGED><too>
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 05:13 pm
"Off color at worst" would work for me, too.

[Edit: I thought you meant off-color humor AT its worst. Just realized you meant that the worst you would call it was "off-color". Whatever. I do agree that the which is worse stuff is dumb.]

Anyway, I always think I can say one thing and leave and it never seems to work that way -- will try to actually leave this silly tar baby now.
0 Replies

Laeknir Scrat

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 06:22 pm
Lash, if I were French, would you include me, along with Francis, among the exceptions of your XIX Century quote?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 06:44 pm
Damn it Soz, I liked it better before the edit. :wink:
0 Replies