French hyper-sensitivity

dlowan

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 12:59 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
You guys are full of it. I laughed aloud when I read Lash's joke, and subconsciously bristled when I read Still's. Only hyper-partisanship could explain finding hers more offensive. Rolling Eyes You gentle souls should be ashamed of yourselves for the mob-mentality necessary to juxtapose the respective offensiveness. Double-Rolling Eyes

I am unsure who you mean found Lash's more offensive.

Both were extremely offensive. Personally I found Stilly's more so, simply because it was more personalized. However, I understand the disgust which fuelled his anger.

I think it likely that most readers would have more understanding of Stilly's (for which he has apologized) because it followed Lash's "joke".

I am surprised you found it funny Bill - but there you go - I would think only "hyper-partisanship" could possibly make you laugh aloud at either. And only hyper-partisanship could make you think that naming the offensiveness is about "mob-mentality".

Anyhoo - I hope this thread has moved permanently on from this low.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 01:38 am
Joe Nation wrote:
Ah, but we are squeaky clean to certain minds, dlowan.

We have, for example, the best health care system in the world. In the world, mind you, it's just that some cannot fathom how to take advantage of it.

Our democracy is in such good shape that only just over half the folks here even participate in it by voting, (I should add something here about how our electoral process is pristine, using the most up to date compiling systems to assure the sanctity of the voting booth, but some may bring up the recent unpleasantness in Ohio and Florida. And we are much more interested here in preserving the sanctity of marriage rather than the vote, but I digress.)

We are the richest country in the world and we intend to make sure that the richest of us stay the richest by lowering their taxes while cutting benefits for the soldiers, airmen sailors and marines who do their bidding.

We are so sure that our system of economics is sufficiently strong that we are now deficit spending ourselves into what could be described as a Mariana Trench of debt and have achieved the lifelong dream of also being the world's greatest debtor. Hey, two mints in one!!

We know that all the American children would understand the reference to the Mariana Trench because we have the greatest education system IN THE WORLD except when conservatives want to knock the teacher's unions then they have to do a sort of yogic-jujitsu perambulation -"our teachers are lousy but our kids know everything.-- except don't mention evolution and ..." .. maybe we should leave this for another time.

What else? Well, we do know better and it's not by instinct or some other of those so-called natural phenoms, no, we know better because we, and we say this as humbly as we can, we are led by God. God talks to our beloved leader sometimes six or seven times a day. Does God talk to your leader that many times a day? We think not.

Top that, oz.

Joe(I'm proud to say that I hear voices too.)Nation

Lol!! Actually, Joe, I am sure I could find besotted and blinkered Australians (and citizens of every other country) well able to match you hyperbolic boast for hyperbolic boast!!!

My SENSE is that the US is a country with more of a flavour of hyper-nationalism than the other western countries I have been to - but I have only been to the UK, USA, Canada, Singapore and Japan - oh, and OZ of course, (and I think Japan at least as over the top - probably a lot more) - but all countries are, I think, very prone to to suffer from this affliction.

(Australians at international sporting events often make me want to die of shame for instance.)
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 01:40 am
BS Deb. Examine the chain of events and then tell me again that coming to Still's defense for his disgusting comment can be explained by anything other than partisan loyalty.

First gungasnake wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
I have noticed that whenever anyone says something negative about France, there is always some hyper-sensitive loon who indignantly pipes up with something like, "It's the greatest country in the world!", or "Why don't you leave the poor French alone!".

I once had one of my German language professors tell us that the French gene pool never really recovered from WW-I, i.e. that the French had been in better shape prior to that than they ever have been afterwards.
This, was offensive to me and was worthy of censure.

Then Magus wrote:
...which goes toward supporting the contention that rape and pillage are not neccessarily positive influences upon the breeding stock
This, I don't believe had anything to do with U.S. GIs.

Then Lash wrote:
US GIs hardly needed to rape those French floozies.

They had an easier time fighting off the Germies.
This is funny. Her joke implies that French women were so promiscuous and thrilled by the mighty U.S. GIs that they were harder to fight off than the Germans. This, is not a joke about rape at all.

Then Mr Stillwater wrote:
I'm also sure when the Red Army took over Slaviostok and took turns raping your Grandma she would have prefered GI's, they washed regularly at least.
This, is utterly disgusting. Where I come from, men don't say sh!t like this to woman with impunity… let alone have the extra-sensitive types like you rush to their aide. For anyone to read this progression and then single out Lash's comment as the one worthy of censure, they have to be reacting to the author, not the words. Idea
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 01:51 am
Actually, Bill - if you read what I said I made a general comment about people descending to the level of jokes about rape.

Your prejudice makes you assume I spoke only to Lash.

When she attacked Stilly for his very offensive comment - I pointed out the sequence - which I consider not irrelevant. I do not think anything excuses either Stilly's or Lash's comments - but Stilly did not snap in a vacuum.

Bill - you and Lash can assert that hers was not a joke about rape until the cows come home. Whatever. It was an extraordinarily offensive comment. If you do not see that, so be it - I give not a toss.

Yes - this thread was set up to do exactly what it has done - cause offense and offensiveness to breed like pups.

If you choose to see offense only on one side, fine - again I give not a fig.

If you see grossly revolting jokes about French women as funny, so be it. I am surprised, as I said, at this in you - but I am not your mother. I do, however, expect to see both yopu and Lash laugh amicably when next someone refers to American people as sluts and whores who hardly need to be raped. You won't be laughing at my jokes on the subject, though, I do not intend ever do say such things - I think them disgusting.

I can and will call offensiveness when I see it - I have done so.

I have also done what I can to turn attempts to attack my country into reasoned discussion - instead of descending to the tone of these stupid threads.

This squabble is clearly fruitless, so this will be my last word on the parts of this thread that have sadly sunk so low.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 02:03 am
That's still BS Deb. If Lash and your roles had been reversed in this conversation, my reaction would have been identical. At worst, Lash's joke was in poor taste and against no one in particular. What Still wrote was mean-spirited with no humor implied whatsoever and was obscenely personal. Stop being his friend for a second and fair up. Rolling Eyes If the 4 of us were in the same room when he said that to either of you, I wouldn't warn him more than once.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 08:40 am
I am going to make an apology too. Like Stilly did.

Mine is for getting drawn into discussing the offensive material at any length - I think, in the end, this actually just spreads it further, and dwells on the most unpleasant parts of this/any thread - and gets to be like a tarbaby in terms of attracting new people to a problem and keeping people stuck once there..

I had meant to discuss it no further - but stupidly let myself get drawn in by Bill's post - (not blaming Bill here - I made the decision to respond) - and here we are, in another dumb to and fro that isn't good for anyone, or for the level of debate on the site - but increases already high levels of vitriol.

I had planned to delete my last post for these reasons - but Bill had already responded, so It would have been unfair to do so I think.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 09:04 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
You guys are full of it. I laughed aloud when I read Lash's joke, and subconsciously bristled when I read Still's. Only hyper-partisanship could explain finding hers more offensive. Rolling Eyes You gentle souls should be ashamed of yourselves for the mob-mentality necessary to juxtapose the respective offensiveness. Double-Rolling Eyes

That is very funny, O'Bill. You do realize you are talking about hyper-partisanship to two Australians and a Slovak, lol. Anyway, be offended at what you please. So will we. Nobody needs lessons in what to take offense in, thankyouverymuch. I assure you it has nothing to do with political parties.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 09:29 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Who do you mean by "you guys"? Were you including me in this little lecture?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 10:17 am
Dag, I probably could have chosen a better word, but I wasn't suggesting party loyalty.
Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary wrote:
partisan
1 : a firm adherent to a party , faction, cause, or person; especially : one exhibiting blind, prejudiced, and unreasoning allegiance

Following Deb's lead, I'm bowing out of this useless battle too. Since Still's already apologized for his deplorable comment, I see little profit in continuing to point out the folly in ya'lls defense of it .

(Kicky, you were born full of it and require no special conditions. :wink:)
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 10:54 am
O'Bil, you crack me up. I am getting a PhD in political science, I should know what partisanship is. That's precisely why i said what i said. enuf said, outta here.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 11:00 am
Confused I agree. You should. But if you disagree with the dictionary; you apparently don't.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 11:03 am
once again, i don't need lessos from you. dictionary is right, you, in my honest opinion, are wrong.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 11:05 am
That's fair. Wrong, but fair. :wink:
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 11:06 am
whatever.
0 Replies

gav

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 01:48 pm
A very interesting thread - very entertaining Very Happy
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 02:27 pm
dagmaraka got the last word in ....... does that mean she won?

http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/misc/look.gif
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 03:12 pm
Are you trying to start trouble, Tico?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 03:14 pm
Usually your job, ain't it Kickycan't?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 03:22 pm
Laughing

Yes ... yes, I am.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2005 03:33 pm
Oh great.

Every time I find something positive or hopeful that suggests some sense or relative beneficialness of the American Right (like I just did posting about Rice's remarks yesterday in dlowans thread), I turn the corner into a thread like this to be confirmed in a deep conviction that American Conservatives are so absolutely full of sh*t that I will never want to be associated with any of 'em.

As far as the topic of this thread is concerned, it was dealt with right on the first page, first by Pan's post and then by Thomas's. Two of them said everything worth saying.

And compliments to Walter for showing a sense of humour in the face of inanity, and to Dlowan for showcasing how one can also react when a wrong in one's country is pointed out - by acknowledging it if need be, discussing it honestly, openly and self-critically, and proposing appropriate follow-up action to undertake for those in one's own country and the foreigners expressing criticism.

You know, as in instead of going into some hysterical frenzy about "oh those bloody foreigners are condemning us again, how dare they, the cowardly pathetic no-gooders, its none of their frigging business and I'm sick of this global alliance against us!"

Roll, roll, roll your eyes
Merrily round we go ...
0 Replies