Mexican elections 2018

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2018 08:08 pm
The articles in the foreign press saying Meade's campaign is doomed, and recent polls prompted the PRI (and notably, Peña Nieto's government) to mount an offensive against the Front's candidate, Ricardo Anaya.
Anaya was accused of money laundering, because years ago he sold an industrial warehouse to a phantom company. The problem of the accusation is that Anaya was the seller, and he didn't need to know if the company he was selling to was for real.
Anaya would've been in trouble if the accusers were not the PRI and Peña Nieto's government, whose gigantic corruption schemes are well known, but seldom prosecuted.
We have witnessed a political regression in these days, with the government openly using the powers of the State for mud slinging with factious motives.

We don't know yet the results of this row. I understand, from government sources, that their case is not strong enough. And, after a few days, the excesses -including incredible pressure on media- seem to have backfired.
President Peña, the substitute Attorney General and the Secretary of Governance have now passed to the defensive: "we are not meddling on the electoral process". Meade doesn't seem to have gained anything for this (in fact, the big PRI corruption scandals mildly forgotten are talked about now, again). The question is if Anaya gained ground (on the basis he's been mistreated by the government) or the big winner is AMLO (who has seen the mud slinging while having a soda and some pop-corn).
Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2018 08:14 pm
Bloomberg presented an interesting "poll of polls". It weighs different polls by the accuracy of a pollster’s past surveys from the 2006 and 2012 presidential campaigns, how recently the poll was taken, size and margin of error of the poll.

It now has:

AMLO (Morena) 40.3
Anaya (Front) 31.4
Meade (PRI) 19.3
Zavala (Independent) 5.2
Bronco (Independent) 3.0

Jaguar (Independent) - not shown - 0.8

A link to Bloomberg's Mexican Election page:

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2018 09:23 pm
On the Mexico City elections, a new candidate.
Marco Rascón will contend for the local, tiny (so tiny I almost forgot their existance) Humanist Party, who got 3.2% of the vote in 2015.

Rascón is now a restaurant owner. But he's better known as the creator, in the early 90s, of Superbarrio Gómez, a real-life superhero who wore a wrestler's mask.

Superbarrio in Wikipedia (English):

Here we see Rascón today and the character he created.

Rascón won't matter much in the election, but he'll be fun to watch.

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2018 08:59 pm
Today was the first "fashion show" of the main candidates (the independents went yesterday).
They all gave speeches during the National Banking Convention, which brings together the financial sector.
Meade (PRI) was the obvious winner, in terms of applause. He was playing in his home turf, being Finance Secretary twice.

"The center of prorities is to meet the different needs of different people"
"I have a clear commitment to a responsible magament of public finance
"To fight violence and insecurity we must have a policy of tougher arms control and strengthen the law of Extinción de Dominio (which permits the State to take over all types of assets related to crime)"
"Politics and Public Servants are to be recognized; no one can be above the law"

"We have to move into an economy of knowledge"
"We cannot plan the future with the variables of the present. It's a mistake to think in linear, and not exponential, change"
"We must bet on renewable energy, not in refineries. Cars will be electric by 2024"
"Mexico must move from manufacture to "mindfacture"
"Institutional change is needed to fight corruption, bolster competitiviy and reform the judicial system"
"The Attorney General is the war-room of the PRI campaign"

"I will respect bankers. There's no need to be nervous"
"I'll lower the cost of government; there will be no luxuries, no more taxes, no hikes in the price of gasoline"
"My formula to spend better is to end corruption, which eats 20% of the budget"
"We don't need a new airport in Mexico City; it's extremely expensive"
"If they dare to make an electoral fraud, I'll go home to Palenque, and let's see who's going to tie the tiger".

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2018 02:42 am
sometimes I wonder what has happened to all the world's people. All of us seem to choose 'leaders' on the slim notion of "I like his audacity, or I like his sincerity, or omg he loves God (this is more of an American thing)".......I think we seem to pick the bullshit artist who pumps out our secret bullshit theories,..

I'm sorry if it sounds flip, fbaezer......I don't mean to sound flip....I think I'm just getting depressed over what appears to be vapidness, maybe only to me.
Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2018 12:07 pm
You're right, glitterbag.
All of these guys are bullshit artists, each with his own style.
Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2018 12:50 pm
You need a candidate like Lord Buckethead to help deflate all the pompous windbags.

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2018 08:30 pm
Important news on the race for President.

INE (The National Electoral Institute) has determined that both Jaime Rodríguez (Bronco) and Armando Ríos Piter (Jaguar) were able to surpass the threshold of signatures due to irregularities (duplicate signatures, use of copies of the electoral ID, instead of the ID proper, etc).

This means they're out of the ballot. This, unless the Tribunal -to which both will appeal- decides otherwise.

So the race is now between the coalition candidates Meade (PRI), López Obrador (Morena) and Anaya (Front) and the independent conservative Margarita Zavala.
Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2018 08:37 pm
In another piece of news, Marco Rascón, the candidate for Mexico City of the tiny Humanist Party won the important support of Cuauhtémoc Cárdenas, son of beloved former president Lázaro Cárdenas. Cuauhtémoc Cárdenas was the founder of PRD (he left a few years ago, as AMLO gained track in the party) and first elected major of Mexico City