Mexican elections 2018

roger

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2018 10:43 pm
@roger,
Now that I think about it, you, Bernie (blatham), and are the only ones left of that group that are still posting here.
fbaezer

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2018 09:41 pm
@roger,
It's a shame. And it's also sad that some of them passed away.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2018 09:46 pm
The precampaign to be the candidate for Mexico City governor is almost over.

There was a debate and all the candidates were very soft on each other.

Chertorivsky campaigned throughly around the city, had a lot of ads in social media, proposed to legalize mariguana home gardens for self consumption, to move city government agencies to the East side of the city -where most people live- when the new airport is finished, sports programs for the youth, etc etc.
He also tried to act like some one from the 'hood, he even changed his tone to sound more "popular".
Only at the end he started to critisize Barrales.

Ahued campaigned at the beginning, but faded. Went from open spaces to more cozy ones.

Barrales, instead, started late, preferred to go to her party's strongholds, managed to gather a multitude of women, and stressed her campaign on civil and human rights.

The (non-official) poll I have read says:
Barrales is better known (87% vs 74% Chertorivski and 47% Ahued)
Chertorivski has a more favorable political image: +11.6 (the difference between those who have a good opinion of him and those who have a bad one), against Ahued's +6.6 and Barrales -10.7%
Chertorivski is a bit more competitive than Barrales against Morena's candidate Sheinbaum, but they all lose by a double digit margin.
Barrales is more prone to be preferred by PRD members (57%) and PAN members (49%)

https://lasillarotarm.blob.core.windows.net.optimalcdn.com/images/2017/12/15/precandidatos_prd_especial-focus-0.04-0.3-480-345.jpg
Ahued, Barrales and Chertorivski

The latest poll has:

Morena (Sheinbaum) 32%
Front (Chertorivski) 23% (Barrales) 22%
PRI (Mikel Arriola) 8%
Independent (González Zirión) 2%
Undecided 35%

Sheinbaum started her campaign with a god motto: "Innovation and hope", and bettering the city's collapsed mobility; she will stress on the fact that she's a scientist. I think that's a better strategy than playing 'hood..

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTH_6YOUN5z1Sv72tDF9Y8fp_o_nBiHtfvweRyvoD2Tv4dNs8qw
Claudia Sheinbaum

Poor Mikel Arriola is a very nice guy, but he's accumulating negative opinions because of the mere fact that he's the PRI candidate.
His campaign, I must add, works only for an ideological minority: he'll change "20 years of bad left-wing governments".
The city is evidently better now than 20 years ago.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/97/Mikel_Andoni_Arriola_Pe%C3%B1alosa_-_2015_%28cropped%29.jpg/220px-Mikel_Andoni_Arriola_Pe%C3%B1alosa_-_2015_%28cropped%29.jpg
Mikel Arriola

I hope the pictures tell you something about the candidates.

In any case, I think each Mexico City (pre)candidate is better than his presidential counterpart.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2018 09:54 pm
As for the Presidential campaign, President Peña Nieto has started to have his opinions heard.

He said yesterday that to pardon the criminals (of the drug cartels, as AMLO has suggested) is treason to Mexico. Today, that he understands there is social anger, but said that "if the anger reflects in future (electoral) decisions, we'll have anguish".
In Mexico, it's not common for the President to comment on the elections. He's supposed to be above the parties (but obviouly, he is not).

A picture of the 3 candidates, so you know their faces:
http://www.nacion321.com/files/article_main/uploads/2017/12/11/c6d4eb15f1e84_position2_retina.jpg
Left to right: AMLO, Meade and Anaya
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2018 12:50 pm
@fbaezer,
Margarita Zavala's brother started a campaign in change.org to strip John Ackerman of his Mexican nationality and expell him from Mexico, because "he's a Russian agent".
Mexicans can be xenophobes, too.

A cartoonist started another campaign in change.org to expell Juan Ignacio Zavala from Mexico "por pendejo".
The cartoonist's initiave is gathering signatures at a faster pace.

Tough Meade's spokesman, Javier Lozano, now refers to AMLO as "Andrés Manuelovich".
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2018 02:17 pm
This is the newest presidential poll by Consulta-Mitofsky.

https://www.eleconomista.com.mx/export/sites/eleconomista/img/2018/01/17/pp_int_consulta1_170118.png_656169512.png

The independents' breakdown goes like this:

Margarita Zavala 4.9
Jaime Rodríguez El Bronco 3.3
Armando Ríos Piter El Jaguar 1.8

27.8% declares to be undecided.

Women voters favor Anaya; men voters favor AMLO
Young and old voters favor AMLO; middle age voters favor Anaya

ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2018 02:22 pm
@fbaezer,
need those independents to pick up the pace!
fbaezer

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2018 03:03 pm
@ehBeth,
I actually think El Bronco and Zavala are worse than any of the parties' candidates.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2018 04:20 pm
@fbaezer,
fbaezer wrote:

The Russians are coming!
They want to influence the Mexican election, says the Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/democracy-post/wp/2018/01/11/a-mexican-presidential-candidate-is-getting-an-unexpected-boost-from-trump-and-putin/?utm_term=.93aac4107d05

I said it first, but in Spanish:

http://www.cronica.com.mx/notas/2017/1050350.html

(RT's American-Mexican John Ackerman is known here as John Wankerman Wink )

So, if Moscow were to favor one presidential candidate who would it be?
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2018 04:22 pm
@fbaezer,
fbaezer wrote:
When he talks about "pirrurris" or "whites", AMLO is pressing the "revolutionary nationalism" button. And also the economic-social resentfulness button, especially with the mestizo lower-middle class who feels left behind.

I've also heard the term "quirrurris." Is it used in the same way as "pirrurris"?
fbaezer

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2018 05:00 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

So, if Moscow were to favor one presidential candidate who would it be?

The Washington Post's article implies it would be AMLO, through the "Ackerman connection". No proof of anything, though.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2018 05:03 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

I've also heard the term "quirrurris." Is it used in the same way as "pirrurris"?

Maybe that's the Northeners' way of saying it.
But if it's "la quirrurris", it is a demeaning way of refering to the female lover of a married man.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2018 06:25 pm
The Front's poll is in:

Alejandra Barrales will be their candidate for Mexico City, as expected.

I guess Claudia Sheinbaum (Morena) is exultant.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2018 08:48 pm
This on Twitter.

Sheinbaum and her "Russian plot comrades" celebrate that the Front's candidate is Barrales, not Chertorivski:

https://media.giphy.com/media/3orieUX9lN6RAZAYeY/giphy.gif
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 23 Jan, 2018 09:46 pm
A bit of news to keep everyone up to date.

AMLO's field has two notable additions.
One is former soccer star Cuauhtémoc Blanco, who will run for governor of Morelos, propelled by the party of Christian Evangelicals. He was mayor of Cuernavaca, with another party. And did a terrible job. But he's a star.
The other is senator Gabriela Cuevas, formerly of PAN, and very outspoken against AMLO. She was not granted a place in the ballot by her party, so she switched sides. The fact is that she wants to keep the presidency of the Inter-Parlamentary Union (an international organization of the parliaments of 178 sovereign states; virtually everyone but the USA)-
These 2 additions have caused concern among left-wing supporters of AMLO. But, concern or not, they still adore their leader. Some, who months ago praised his congruence, now praise his pragmatism.

AMLO took the Russian factor with humor and referred to himself as Andrés Manuelovich.
Some of his fascist followers did not, and sent a vicious anti-semitic social media attack against León Krauze, a journalist who published a piece about the Russian meddling in Mexican elections on The Washington Post.

--

The Federal government is trying to prevent a major showdown between them and the governor of Chihuahua (Javier Corral, PAN), who accuses the Federation of withholding money for the State because of his prosecution of former (PRI) governor César Duarte.
Corral is staging a March to Mexico City (it's a looong way from Chihuahua), which has, of course, electoral resonance.
The government has now issued an extraditation procedure against bad hombre Duarte, who fled to the USA.

---

The fake Greens are in the verge of breaking with PRI in their stronghold state, Chiapas. The Chiapas Greens disapprove of the coalition's candidate for governor, Roberto Albores (PRI) and want one of their own.
The Greens and PANAL (the Teachers' Union party) also broke with PRI in the State of Mexico, the most populated of all, because of broken promises by the governor.

---

It seems very possible that populist Jaime Rodríguez El Bronco, right winger Margarita Zavala and left-winger Armando Rios Piter El Jaguar will be on the Presidential ballot as Independents.
Surprisingly, El Jaguar is the one who is nearest to the accomplishment. He already has surpassed the threshold in 15 out of 17 states needed.
He had a good strategy: he pinpointed only 22 states to work for signatures, practically forgot the other 10 and worked on the dispersion rules, which the others didn't.
If El Jaguar is on the ballot, he'll be the only left-winger running for President (though many in Mexico and elsewhere believe AMLO is a leftist, I do not).

0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2018 08:39 pm
Meet El Bronco

http://pulsoslp.com.mx/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Ma%C3%B1ana-El-Bronco.jpg

A few of his phrases:

"My horse eats less than my broad"
"I believe in marriage. Marriage is betweeen a man and a woman. I don't believe in the other stupid stuff"
"Nobody loves a fat girl"
"I am the lemon in the politicians' hemorrhoids"
"If I don't deliver, you can hang me in the plaza"
"A mother is more a mother if she has her children the natural way, not by caesarean section"
(speaking to children) "Hug your daddy, who loves you very much, now that you have the chance. Dad is Santa Claus, did you know that?"
"I carry my own cell phone, I don't have a faggot to do it for me, I have many friends, but I don't have assistants or secretaries".
roger

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2018 09:39 pm
@fbaezer,
Sounds like a winner to me.
layman

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2018 09:41 pm
@roger,
Heh, and the Mexicans want to castigate Trump for not being PC, eh?
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2018 09:43 pm
@roger,
Certainly. In the US you got a similar winner.
roger

Reply Wed 24 Jan, 2018 09:56 pm
@fbaezer,
Yeah, but can he tweet?