Do I hate my job, or do I just hate work?

Linkat

Tue 13 May, 2014 10:54 am
@chai2,
Crazy -- I wonder why she wasn't forthright --- I mean for the right person this would be a dream job. Basically running the operations on their own (of course as long as they were compensated appropriately).

In a case like that why wouldn't you want to hire the right person off the bat -- it would be much worse to have hired you got you completely independent and then you find out what was in store -- so you leave and then they have no one running operations.
EdMomo

Tue 13 May, 2014 12:18 pm
Just spent a hour or so of work-time reading through this forum...
Um... so, some of you really hate your job, some of you really hate working and still others hate your lives.

OK. I typed in work depression in the search bar because I have recently come to the realization that it's not my job, it's me somehow. That may be true or untrue... not sure yet... but I found this lovely group of folks. Gotta first say that some of the post on here are pure gold! The person with kids, mortgage and debt who want to swallow a few bullets? Wow. And the young person who just wants to watch TV all day. OK.

But, I have a great personal life, beautiful family, nice home and can walk to the beach from my front door. That being said, my professional life is pretty empty and unfulfilling. I don't have a bad job were I club seals to death or sell poison to unsuspecting children, I just don't do well in the sit-at-a-desk and suck-serious-a** world. I like taking chances, and that's what makes me feel alive.

I have changed careers before and had a job that I liked, but left it for more $$$ when my child was born, and we bought a house, and we bought a new car and we bought a new sliding glass door (we needed that one). I took the new job for the money, thinking that I could convince myself to buy into the mission of the company because, as stated, I am not drilling for oil in Yellowstone park. But, I am professionally empty. It hasn't worked. The never-ending quest for increasing the bottom line is not in me.

I will make a change, as is my nature, yet I still fear that my next endeavor will leave me felling the same - only one way to find out I assume.

So I may or may not visit this forum, only time will tell. Right now, I will try to get through the rest of this job without stabbing myself in the eye with a pencil and I will move on. But I just want to thank you all for this forum. For posting real-talk about yourselves, while shrouded in the safety of internet anonymity. Thanks for letting me do the same.

I cry two tears in a bucket, f#@* it!
chai2

Tue 13 May, 2014 12:42 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Crazy -- I wonder why she wasn't forthright --- I mean for the right person this would be a dream job.

I've asked myself this, and the only thing I can come up with is that she just assumed whatever the job ended up being would be ok with the person.

I was very clear with her that I was simply looking for a couple of days a week, a few hours. I did let her know of course I'd be available if someone else was out sick, on vacation, etc. The way it was advertised, and the way they presented it, I thought it would be the dream job for me.

Maybe if you're a small business owner you just assume even the part time people are just as interested in keeping your business going as you are.

I've always felt responsible and accountable for my work. The months I haven't worked I adapted to the feeling of being free, and letting others be responsible and accountable for a change. It's been very wonderful. I'm not willing to give that up.

You know, re-reading this thread, 9 years ago nimh said he was 33, kicky said he was 37. So now they're about 42 and 46.

Can you imagine kicky being 46? Shocked

Then again, 9 years ago I was 46....****.

nimh being 42. No way.

ossobuco

Tue 13 May, 2014 12:57 pm
@EdMomo,
Welcome to a2k, Ed. Hang around if you feel like it, it can be a really good forum, and sometimes aggravating one for any of us, but .. engaging and useful at best.
0 Replies

Linkat

Wed 14 May, 2014 04:55 am
@chai2,
yeah you think kicky ever matured?

Well I know I haven't and I've reached the half century -- but then again I have a good enough act that my kids think I'm an adult. Except when I start doing odd things like dancing around and being silly -- then they just say I am weird. So to them instead of being immature I am just a weird adult.
chai2

Wed 14 May, 2014 07:22 am
@Linkat,
Oh that's not being immature, the dancing and acting "weird".

That's enjoying life.
Romeo Fabulini

Wed 14 May, 2014 07:35 am
I'm retired but I never liked work, I tried all sorts but they all bored me stiff.
I might have put up with them better if the working day was only about 4 hours instead of 8.
Who the hell decided that the working day should be 8 hours long anyway?
What cheek!
Linkat

Wed 14 May, 2014 11:13 am
@chai2,
I think my kids secretly like it when I act weird.

but never in front of their friends.
Linkat

Wed 14 May, 2014 11:16 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
8 hours try more like 10 or longer and often times weekends.

I mean generally I enjoy my work, it is just the crap you deal with - politics and plain old stupidity --- the lack of common sense stupidity I have no patience with--and being overworked to the point where you feel you cannot give good quality.

And if I had more reasonable hours where I wasn't stretched so thin -- it wouldn't be so bad.
0 Replies

chai2

Wed 14 May, 2014 11:20 am
@Linkat,
I have a friend Gloria who is a mom of 2, and so young at heart (but very mature as far as being responsible)

One time she did some silly thing that made everyone laugh, including her 2 tweens, even though they turned away with mock embarrassment.

I was next to her son and said to him "Your mom is such fun" He got this really soft look in his eyes and said "Yeah, she is"

This is one of the great things your girls are going to remember about their growing up with you as their mom.

0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Wed 14 May, 2014 11:47 am
I used to prefer working at big firms rather than small ones because there were more places to hide in big ones.
For example in a big yarn store warehouse I used to build myself a den with yarn cartons, and hole up there like tutankhamen deep inside his pyramid for hours at a time, watching the foreman through a spyhole as he used to go round asking anybody if they knew where i was.
At another place I built a den smack on top of the flat roof of the bosses shop floor office, he used to look for me all over the place and never guessed i was right under his nose..Smile
0 Replies

jcboy

Tue 20 May, 2014 08:04 pm
Tomorrow the chairman/CEO and board of directors of one of the biggest banks in the world are holding our annual shareholders meeting. Therefore, tomorrow is a work from home day for me. This also means tomorrow is a work without pants day! Cool
dlowan

Sat 31 May, 2014 09:10 pm
@jcboy,
TMI!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

JE08011987

Thu 25 Apr, 2019 04:03 pm
@kickycan,
Yeah, corporate world can be taxing. You have a good plan here and change to a delivery job, but before you do it and quit try working part time and see if you really like the delivery job.

I have similar feelings working in IT. I'm good at it and it pays decent but don't like it that much. Really like menial labor jobs but pay is minimum, so I am working IT full time and have a job working in the carwash on weekends. Really enjoying the work there so much more.
0 Replies

Lucyloop

Sat 11 Apr, 2020 04:22 pm
@kickycan,
If your job is making you unhappy get out not worth going through months of pain x
0 Replies