Do I hate my job, or do I just hate work?

Wed 12 Jan, 2005 12:45 pm
Well, I just freaked out at work and got into a loud argument with my boss...again.

Then I realized that it's not his fault that I hate this corporate piece of **** job and that I get so frustrated at the ridiculous hoops I have to go through just to do my job with the bare minimum of quality. I went back into his office, told him this and apologized, and he said he thinks I would probably hate any job.

Would I hate any job? Is it just that I can't stand work in general? I am always open to what people have to say about me, but I don't think he's right this time.

I have always complained about work, but I don't remember every being so frequently frustrated and uncontrollably filled with rage. I remember not really enjoying my job as a construction worker, and as a furniture mover, but I don't remember ever feeling this ball of rage in the pit of my stomach on a daily basis, or the contempt that I feel for most of the people that I see in the elevator or around the building.

If it is just this job, the answer is obviously to get a different job. But if it's that I hate work in general, then I'm in trouble. I can't live with this feeling for another twenty-plus years. I will definitely go insane.

If you want to weigh in on this, go ahead, but I just wanted to write this down so I could examine my thoughts and motivations.

FreeDuck

Wed 12 Jan, 2005 12:50 pm
Maybe he means you would just hate any corporate job.

I wonder all the time if it's that I hate my job or I hate what I do, or even if what I'm doing is what I'm meant to do. There are highs and lows, but mostly I feel uninspired and useless for working here. And worse, I hate knowing that nothing much is expected of me, and I hate even more that I seem to be willing to give them no more than what they expect.

Oh yeah, and I hate the red tape.
kickycan

Wed 12 Jan, 2005 12:52 pm
That sounds very familiar to me, for some reason. Razz
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Wed 12 Jan, 2005 12:57 pm
I assume then that you didn't find a cure either.

Did you ask your boss why he thinks you would hate any job?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Wed 12 Jan, 2005 01:01 pm
if you could work anywhere Kicky, where would it be?
What IS your dream job .. if any?
( winning the lottery doesnt count )

do you even know what would make you happy? Or even if not happy, just comfortable?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Wed 12 Jan, 2005 01:11 pm
My dream job is an at home bon-bon taster.

I hate work. My boss is awesome in that he hates work too. His basic philosophy is that everyone has a life outside of work. And that's more important. So if I need some time, he gives it to me.

I still hate work.
0 Replies

kickycan

Wed 12 Jan, 2005 01:16 pm
Shewolf, I don't know. I know that I don't like work in general, so my dream job would be something that doesn't involve work.

He he he...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Wed 12 Jan, 2005 01:17 pm
ahhh poo. we ALL hate to work
something about the idea of doing what someone tells you so that you can get money is a pisser to everyone .

there isnt anything you can think of that would be fun?
No.. running a brothel doesnt count either.
0 Replies

kickycan

Wed 12 Jan, 2005 01:22 pm
Seriously though, I don't have any dream job. I would just like to have enough money to live in a semi-decent apartment or home, and save enough so that I'm not living in squalor when I get old.

I do, however, know that I never want to do anything in the corporate world again.

I have been thinking about this, and I'm seriously considering buying a truck and getting some type of route delivery job, preferably somewhere with warm weather.

I'm still thinking about it though.
blueveinedthrobber

Wed 12 Jan, 2005 01:23 pm
face your destiny my young paduin...you are a pimp......
0 Replies

kickycan

Wed 12 Jan, 2005 01:26 pm
I wish. No I don't. Yes I do! No I don't. I don't have it in me to beat up beeyotches.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Wed 12 Jan, 2005 01:27 pm
Getting a CDL isnt hard. Buying a truck.. well.. look at spending about 80,000 for a good rig. Then 200+ for gasoline at every fuel station.

not detouring ya.. just numbers most dont know about.

You can always just get your CDL and work for JB hunt or Swift. Good companies. Dont gyp thier drivers too bad .
You would make enough moeny to survive on and put away some. Lonely though. You drive all day, b yourself. I tis illegal to carry passengers to 90% of companies though...
Look it up . Maybe it is something you can do.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Wed 12 Jan, 2005 01:28 pm
http://www.mainzelahr.de/smile/liebe/147.gif

All hail Pimp Kicky!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Wed 12 Jan, 2005 01:30 pm
See there...your first beeeeeyatch.....just keep your pimp hand strong....hairy and wide...you can sew up the middle eastern market right away....
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Wed 12 Jan, 2005 01:31 pm
what if we like being slapped around?
you know.. just a little smacky - smacky here and there to get our juices flow'n
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Wed 12 Jan, 2005 01:32 pm
or a kicky kicky here...
and a kicky kicky there...
here a kicky
there a kicky
everywhere a kicky kicky....
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Wed 12 Jan, 2005 01:32 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
what if we like being slapped around?
you know.. just a little smacky - smacky here and there

then you're on the bonus plan...AND you can charge a little extra.....
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Wed 12 Jan, 2005 01:33 pm
Kicky I've set you on the path...brought you to the plate...now go son, and knock one out of the park.....I'm so proud right now....
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Wed 12 Jan, 2005 01:34 pm
damn, my edit was too late.
0 Replies

kickycan

Wed 12 Jan, 2005 01:34 pm
Yeah, I've thought about that, shewolf. That $80,000 price is for a big rig though, isn't it? I'm thinking more about maybe getting something smaller, something with a 20-foot box or so, and buying an already existing route that I could do. I don't really think I'd be too into the over-the-road driving. My dad owns his own truck and runs the mail from the main post office in Rochester to all the little towns. The hours are weird, but I've gone on it with him, and I think something like that, where you have an established route, would be great.
0 Replies