Me Too

maxdancona

Sat 28 Mar, 2020 10:41 pm
@Sturgis,
Of course MeToo still exists in the hearts of true believers. But, it only has any value inside the liberal ideological bubble.

For people outside of the bubble, the MeToo fad has run its course. It is hardly used outside of a sarcastic context. When I say MeToo is dead, I mean that once it became firmly attached to far-left politics, it lost any ability to change minds, reach accross political lines or cause any meaningful change.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sat 28 Mar, 2020 10:41 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

The Me Too still exists... For those who want it and want to use it as a way of saying what happened to them.

While some may contend that it is done with, defeated, ruined by this, that or some other group, truth being what it is, it continues forward. It continues to address the disgraceful behaviors of certain individuals. If one chooses to fully dismiss it, that is their choice; however, they cannot silence those who have spoken or those yet to come who will speak up and give confidence to the many people who are still not able
to.

Hear hear.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Sat 28 Mar, 2020 10:42 pm
Honest question...

Can you name someone outside of the far left political bubble who still supports #MeToo?

It has become a divisive meme, it pushes people away.

edgarblythe

Sat 28 Mar, 2020 10:45 pm
@maxdancona,
Always with the far left bullshit. There are centrists who support MeToo.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sat 28 Mar, 2020 10:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

He would institutionalize the changes Trump has made. Have you paid attention to how he praises Republicans and how he made a speech to help Republicans retain control of the senate? He's more Republican than Democrat.

Scored on this one. Got voted down, so I gotta double up on it.
maxdancona

Sat 28 Mar, 2020 11:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
I didn't vote you down Edgar, but if it makes you happy I can do it for you. I try to be a thoughtful partner.

maxdancona

Sat 28 Mar, 2020 11:54 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I respect Tarana Burke who started the MeToo movement. I feel bad that her movement was hijacked by angry middle-class White liberals.

She designed her movement to be inclusive and welcoming. She wanted a safe space for survivors to tell their stories and be heard. From the very beginning she welcomed male survivors. For her, this was about starting a dialog about a societal issue rather than about bashing the political opposition.

The MeToo movement died when it became just another fad for liberal political extremists. Conservative women were never welcomed by White liberals. Male survivors were openly mocked. People didn't oppose the idea. The backlash was to the ridiculous political extreme that the movement came to reprsent.

I didn't kill the MeToo movement. Neptuneblue killed it.

You got one Downthumb Edgar. Take a look at this one! 5 downthumbs!

I am pretty sure this is a contest I can win.
glitterbag

Sun 29 Mar, 2020 01:30 am
@maxdancona,
Do you really need to feel more damaged (from sexual abuse) than all the others who have tried to tell their truth....congrats, if the forum gives you the Gold for being the most traumatized and victimized ever on God's Green earth........is it possible that you will allow others to tell their story and resist the urge to say "Oh you think that was bad, let me tell you my story, it was awful".

It's all awful.....little girls, little boys...everyone...stop being the voice of victimhood and attacking others for simply telling their story........
edgarblythe

Sun 29 Mar, 2020 07:11 am
@maxdancona,
I didn't accuse you.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sun 29 Mar, 2020 07:13 am
@maxdancona,
Downthumbs are not my real concern. I just used the one to get my post off of the last page.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sun 29 Mar, 2020 08:33 am
I have to confess, I have not followed Max's posts concerning his own history. Not because I thought he was faking or exaggerating, but because of his manner of hijacking the thread to express it. I am not dismissive of the acts he likely endured. If there could be justice for it I am all in favor. Unfortunately, society has a selective eye for these things and I have the impression the perpetrator(s) got away with it. I sometimes think we all have been targeted in some such ways, a consequence of having evolved to this state and needing to train our species beyond the predatory impulses. It begins with educating our young to be compassionate but firm in rejecting such abuses as this thread is concerned with. How well that works depends on the nature of and the good will of the ones we are training. Only society can step in when the parents are failing, but so far we Americans are failing to step up.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Sun 29 Mar, 2020 02:56 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Can you name one person outside of the far left political bubble who still supports #MeToo?

There are plenty. Including myself! Only liberal in certain areas, on certain matters. Definitely not anywhere close to being "far left".
maxdancona

Sun 29 Mar, 2020 10:06 pm
@glitterbag,
The problem is that there are (at least) two competing goals here:

1) To give survivors of sexual assault a voice to tell there stories.
2) To score political points and attack rivals.

I support the first goal. I hate the politics.

The reason MeToo failed is that it couldn't do both.
maxdancona

Sun 29 Mar, 2020 10:07 pm
@Sturgis,
Do you really think you are "outside the bubble"? I find that funny.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sun 29 Mar, 2020 10:12 pm
So if you call out a politician you are being political because politicians ought to be exempt?
0 Replies

Setanta

Sun 29 Mar, 2020 10:17 pm
Don't feed the troll, guys, he lives for this.
maxdancona

Sun 29 Mar, 2020 10:21 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Don't feed the troll, guys, he lives for this.

Lot's of luck with that Setanta. Izzy and Sturgis follow me around from thread to thread. Edgar doesn't do that, but he can't restrain himself.

Trolls eat very well when there are outraged liberals around.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Sun 29 Mar, 2020 10:24 pm
@Setanta,
I do want to say, I have noticed that Setanta has been behaving him self much better these days. I don't think he has lost it in several months at least. He has been very restrained, even mature.

Well done Setanta!
edgarblythe

Sun 29 Mar, 2020 10:31 pm
I've said all I needed to say to Max. He is fairly intelligent in his scientific field, but a maroon elsewhere. His goal from the first has been to keep us from having a MeToo thread. Sometimes his posts are temporarily successful. But I will never let this thread belong to the reactionaries.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Sun 29 Mar, 2020 10:34 pm
@Setanta,
The real issue is that "Me Too" is not a political party or movement........one of the forum ..members seems to think it has lost steam, but it wasn't meant to be a political party, it is an opportunity for people to share stories about their abuse...it's opened things up.....40 years ago most women and men would never share such stories ..... like we never admitted one or both of our parents were alcoholics or domestic abusers...., it was shameful and we thought it tarnished us.......now people are somewhat free to admit their abuse at the hands of others. Hopefully it will curtail the incidents of opportunistic abuse.