Vatican: Washing machines most important in women's liberation

Reyn

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 01:53 pm
According to the below report from the Vatican, the invention of the washing machine was more important than other things, like abortion rights, the pill, right to work, vote, etc.

While certainly certain inventions did make everyone's life a lot easier, I think it rather cynical to narrow down to saying the washing machine was the most important thing. In fact, it's ludicrous, and what one could expect to be the view of the Catholic church.

In my mind, women in the workplace is far more responsible for changing women's roles in society than the washing machines.

I would like to hear your views on this, and what you think was important.

-------------------------------------------------------
Vatican: Women Can Thank Washing Machines for Liberation

A Vatican newspaper claims the washing machine as the most important innovation in women's liberation. Article is timed with UN's International Women's Day holiday.

VATICAN CITY - Talk about a spin cycle. According to Vatican newspaper, l'Osservatore Romano, and reported by Reuters, women can best thank the washing machine for their liberation in the 20th Century, trumping both the right to work and the pill.

The article, titled "The Washing Machine and the Liberation of Women - Put in the Detergent, Close the Lid and Relax," coincides with Sunday's International Women's Day - a United Nations-sponsored holiday recognizing the achievements of women around globally and underscoring women's rights.

As part of a general women's liberation movement, activists have often linked abortion rights and family planning with women's sense of empowerment. This generalism has led to differences between the Vatican establishment and many free women around the world.

Tethering the struggle for women's liberation to the advent of the washing machine is certainly an interesting angle, and one that will likely not be welcomed among a demographic that the Catholic Church has struggled in recent years to retain.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 2,673 • Replies: 17
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 03:37 pm
@Reyn,
Washing machines didn't liberate anyone from anything. Paw used to wear one set of overalls a week, and a certain amount of grime and odor were accepted. Now, we've got washers and dryers. He wears seven sets in a week. What have we gained? Same thing with typewriters. Strikeovers were usually acceptable, margins were ragged, spelling was erratic. Now, every document has to be perfect, and located on the page in a pleasing manner. Instead of one original and one carbon, there are now five "original copies", all filed in the right place.

Liberation my butt!
Reyn

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 03:43 pm
@roger,
I tend to agree, for the most part.

Roger, what's your take on what was most important in the women's liberation movement?
roger

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 03:51 pm
@Reyn,
The most important? I couldn't guess, but I would definately toss in WWII. Suddenly, women were out of the home and in all kinds of production facilities. Suddenly, they weren't dependent on a man for an income outside of teaching and nursing - and they knew it.
Reyn

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 03:57 pm
@roger,
WWII, that's good point, and similar, I suppose, to my thoughts on women in the workplace in general.

I think you're right that the war was probably the start of that.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 04:00 pm
@roger,
I've read studies that say that despite all the advances over the years we spend about the same amount of time on the work, and I think it's largely for the reasons you mentioned.
boomerang

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 04:09 pm
I'll take voting rights for $1,000, Alex.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 04:21 pm
Hmm...

How about "electricity" and/or "steam power" for liberating men and women from manual drudgery. (In industrialized countries, anyway.)

Or...

"Plumbing"

or even

"Sanitation" and "germ theory"
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 04:23 pm
"Put in the Detergent, Close the Lid and Relax"

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

<wipes tear from eye>

That's a good one.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 04:23 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

I've read studies that say that despite all the advances over the years we spend about the same amount of time on the work, and I think it's largely for the reasons you mentioned.

Let's not ignore the effect of bigger houses.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 05:30 pm
I can't decide between birth control, access to education, or no fault divorce.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 05:52 pm
One very important factor: Men are no longer able to provide for their families on a single check. The wife's check becomes increasingly important as businesses slash costs in every way possible.
roger

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 06:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
Back to Drewdad and the effect of larger houses. Larger houses require bigger paychecks.
roger

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 06:43 pm
@roger,
Bigger paychecks require two incomes, which strangely enough, require multiple cars, which require bigger paychecks.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 08:31 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:
In my mind, women in the workplace is far more responsible for changing women's roles in society than the washing machines.

couldn't go to work without a washing machine. laundry takes a freaking long time if you don't have good equipment. you'd be at home or down by the river forever - wouldn't have time to go to work .

One of Setanta's grandmothers apparently felt that cake mix was the greatest invention ever. Changed her life.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 08:43 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Back to Drewdad and the effect of larger houses. Larger houses require bigger paychecks.

Many of the persons I have described don't own homes.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 08:56 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

One very important factor: Men are no longer able to provide for their families on a single check. The wife's check becomes increasingly important as businesses slash costs in every way possible.

Edgar, would you believe that all these years I've been the only income earner in our family? Lots of budgeting. To this day, still the same!
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 09:08 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

Edgar, would you believe that all these years I've been the only income earner in our family? Lots of budgeting. To this day, still the same!

I can believe it. My first wife did not contribute moneywise. But, I stand by my statement.
0 Replies