PUNKEY wrote:

It's just more prevalent nowadays.

nope

we talk about it more but there is nothing new going on

people in power have abused less powerful people as far back as anyone can tell

maxdancona

Tue 17 Oct, 2017 03:47 pm
@centrox,
Let's be clear about what is happening here. The people here can't step out of their ideological bubble even on an issue like sexual assault. Facts don't matter to them. Victims don't matter to them. What matters is the narrative. The fact is that there are many victims that don't fit into their script of what a sexual assault should be. When someone speaks up with a point of view that doesn't fit the ideology, they get attacked.

This is a about ideology, not about principle.
maxdancona

Tue 17 Oct, 2017 03:52 pm
@maxdancona,
There would be nothing wrong with Centrox taking back his or her unfortunate words, or Edgar acknowledging that there is more to the story than the ideological narrative. Just accepting that people have different experiences with sexual assault, and that being a male victim of a female perpetrator is particularly difficult because society doesn't accept male victims.

There is room for more than one perspective on this topic. At least their should be. It seems like anyone outside the ideological bubble is going to be stifled or insulted.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 17 Oct, 2017 03:54 pm
@maxdancona,
You dumb ass. We did not exclude any aspect of abuse by what we posted. We had simply not gotten around to your favorite obsession. This is about the topic in general, but sparked by the fact virtually every woman gets abused in one form or another. You have to try to channel it all to your favorite bias.
ehBeth

Tue 17 Oct, 2017 03:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Well, it's intended to be about women, but I could say "Me too," and be within my rights.

of course you are within your rights

many men I know are posting Me too.

It's not (at least in my circles) about who the victim or perpetrator was/is, it's about the fact that sexual harassment and abuse by powerful people has been accepted and silenced for so long. It's about everyone taking an honest look at their own behaviour. Whether it is action or inaction.

What can we all do differently?
edgarblythe

Tue 17 Oct, 2017 03:59 pm
@ehBeth,
I think it is pretty much the same these days.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Tue 17 Oct, 2017 04:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
I am curious to know what you think my favorite obsession is. Actually, the theme in most threads I am involved with is how ideological purity impacts how people discuss and understand important issues. This thread is no different accept for the fact that in this case, I take the issue more personally than most (similar discussions on Nazis and organic food aren't the same).

You should understand, Edgar, that I am a human being. I have very different experiences than you have, and clearly I don't accept much of your world view. But I am a human being.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Tue 17 Oct, 2017 04:03 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
many men I know are posting Me too.

It's not (at least in my circles) about who the victim or perpetrator was/is, it's about the fact that sexual harassment and abuse by powerful people has been accepted and silenced for so long. It's about everyone taking an honest look at their own behaviour. Whether it is action or inaction.

Thank you EhBeth! That is all I wanted to hear.
edgarblythe

Tue 17 Oct, 2017 04:07 pm
@maxdancona,
That's what was stated before you went nuts.
maxdancona

Tue 17 Oct, 2017 04:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
I "went nuts" when Centrox made an offensive comment. You seem to have gone right along with it.
PUNKEY

Tue 17 Oct, 2017 04:14 pm
Not necessarily "powerful people."

Sibling abuse happens. There, one has power or influence over the other.
edgarblythe

Tue 17 Oct, 2017 04:21 pm
@maxdancona,
This is why more and more people abandon able2know. Every topic has to be turned into a battlefield.
ehBeth

Tue 17 Oct, 2017 04:24 pm
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

Not necessarily "powerful people."

Sibling abuse happens. There, one has power or influence over the other.

that meets the definition of powerful people

there are very few relationships where both people have exactly the same amount of power. many/most(?) relationships have power imbalances of one sort or another. the power doesn't have to be financial or political or religious.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Tue 17 Oct, 2017 04:32 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
This is why more and more people abandon able2know. Every topic has to be turned into a battlefield.

Why do you think that is, Edgar? I simply made a point on this topic that concerns me. It was a point from a different point of view, but I don't think it was too far out of the mainstream.

When I do this, you have three choices.

- you can ignore me
- you can consider what I have to say and engage thoughtfully (either agreeing or disagreeing or a nuanced combination)
- or you can go into attack mode call me a "dumb ass" and defend the ideological narrative.

You seem to prefer the third option. A battlefield requires two combatants. But I guess the ideological narrative must be defended.

In truth, I would prefer a thoughtful engagement that would allow for more than one perspective. I would hope that an issue that is as important an this one should lead to thoughtful discussion with more than one point of view allowed.
edgarblythe

Tue 17 Oct, 2017 04:39 pm
@maxdancona,
You immediately launched an attack, accusing us of an agenda narrowing our focus, or some such crap.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Tue 17 Oct, 2017 04:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
You will note that your fans have upthumbed your childish personal attacks. No one but me has upthumbed EhBeth's thoughtful insight.

It is interesting that EhBeth is a female voice, and yet the personal insults from men are the ones gaining approval. You people have ironically turned a thread that you tagged "woman's rights" into a dick waving contest.

Congratulations (and before you blame this on me, You are ones who are ignoring EhBeth. You could be ignoring me. I responded to her and supported her.)

Now please, ignore me and go give EhBeth's thoughtful posts some approval.

Please?
edgarblythe

Tue 17 Oct, 2017 04:45 pm
@maxdancona,
Quit digging yourself in deeper and either quit the thread or calm down. I had up voted her post before you wrote that stupid remark.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Tue 17 Oct, 2017 05:37 pm
@centrox,
As some here know, I was raped, back when I was turning 23. I'll tell it again, it was simple.

I was living back then in a well regarded town, La Jolla, California, to complete my internship there at Scripps. Fancy town. I lived in a cottage behind an ordinary house. I liked Scripps, then, and, who knows, maybe now. Money was spare but a few at the clinic became friends.

I was hungry one day and went to a nearby shop in the major/small district part of town, and had a great meal, during which I talked with the proprietor about the great paintings. His, it turned out. He asked me to look at them, and I said sure

Turned out, his studio was very large.
It turned out I was trapped. He was heavier and stronger.
glitterbag

Tue 17 Oct, 2017 06:17 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Unfortunately this type of thing still happens.
wmwcjr

Tue 17 Oct, 2017 06:51 pm
@maxdancona,
The thought has just occurred to me that centrox's unfortunate expression possibly is not intended to be rape imagery. Actually, he probably wasn't even thinking about its meaning when he used it because he was too angry to think. He just wanted to say something that would sting.

The expression could have more than one meaning. It could possibly be referring to the sexual practice that some men have of pushing an inanimate object into -- well, you know. (Dr. David Rubin wrote about it in his famous book Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex: But Were Afraid To Ask.) So, it simply could mean to voluntarily engage in a sexual act viewed by many people as gross and perverted. So, no, it's not necessarily rape imagery. You would have to ask Centrox what he actually met.