Me Too

izzythepush

Thu 19 Oct, 2017 06:14 am
@maxdancona,
You're talking rot. Your first post attacked Centrox belittling his experience. He was the first person to reply to the thread which means you attacked the very first account of abuse.

You started the adversarial tone, and then when people responded you claimed to be the victim, which is something you always do.

This is not a competition for who has suffered the most, it's supposed to support people, help them share experiences. Obviously there are varying degrees of abuse, but there's no points system, just a forum for people to talk.

As for people picking on you because of your political views, that's a complete red herring. Nobody's attacking your politics, they're all complaining of you hijacking a thread to make it all about you. This is something you do over and over again.

If you're a victim of anything it's your own mendacity. You have lied to me, you have lied about me to others and Cycloptichorn has pointed your lies out numerous times on the Trump thread. If anyone doubts what you're saying you've only got yourself to blame. If you have suffered abuse then I'm very sorry, but I honestly don't know what to believe.

maxdancona

Thu 19 Oct, 2017 06:23 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
our first post attacked Centrox belittling his experience.

You are the one who is lying Izzy. Here is the first post, as anyone can see I did not belittle Centrox's experience. https://able2know.org/topic/420471-1#post-6522732

It is attack, attack, attack. You say whatever you need to win... to beat anyone who dares to step out of your narrow ideological world view. That is why you make stuff up. And sometimes what you make up is pretty nasty.

Anyone can judge for themselves. Yes, I was expressing that I felt strongly about the comment. I attacked the comment, but I did not attack Contrex as a person... and I certainly did not "belittle Centrox's experience". You just made that up.

When it comes to "belittling Centrox's experience", you lied.
edgarblythe

Thu 19 Oct, 2017 06:26 am
I don't attack Max's politics. I don't know what they are, because I never read any of it. This is an apolitical thread. I have empathy for all who can legitimately say "Me too." But I have my limits where excessive grandstanding is concerned. This is the final post I will make regarding Max.
maxdancona

Thu 19 Oct, 2017 06:37 am
@edgarblythe,
Apolitical threads are inclusive and welcoming. They allow for different viewpoints and don't include personal attacks.

Edgar could have had an apolitical thread had he wanted one. Yes, my first post was a little upset. In an inclusive thread, he could have acknowledge what I felt and moderated. He didn't do this, instead joining in the attacks that followed.

I would have been happy to join into a meaningful discussion. If Edgar (or someone else) had said Max, "we accept your feeling about this but you are being a little combative"... I would have expressed my feelings and moved on to sharing experiences. I have been in groups that do exactly this.

In this thread the goal seems to be to attack and prevent anyone from expressing any opinions outside of some box.

This has all the markings of a political thread.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Thu 19 Oct, 2017 06:47 am
For the record, Edgar. I don't want to see you go. We disagree, but I want to be in spaces where people can disagree and still treat each other like human beings.

I wish that there were a space here for respectful dialog.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Thu 19 Oct, 2017 08:18 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
- Contrex wrote a post that clearly excluded male victims and female perpetrators.

Actually, Contrex wrote a post identifying himself as a male victim. You just got instantly enraged at the first sentence and decided it was more important to cause drama than actually read the post. Isn't that correct?

Cycloptichorn
edgarblythe

Thu 19 Oct, 2017 08:25 am
With him it's whine whine, pitiful me and hijack the thread infinitum. He has nothing to offer but posts about the nothing anyway.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Thu 19 Oct, 2017 08:49 am
@Cycloptichorn,
You are not really concerned about Contrex's feelings. You are here to kick me in the teeth. Rather than to try to be understanding of someone else's feelings (either mine or Contrex's) you are using this to win the argument.

Contrex, If I really hurt your feelings by not taking your story seriously, I offer my sincere apologies. I think my feelings are also valid, and I don't apologize for expressing them. But yes, I should have kept your story in mind when I asked you if you had been to a male survivors group to deal with what you experienced. When you used the term "survivor" I wondered if you were part of the community. I jumped to this conclusion. I apologize.

For my failure to acknowledge your story in this post, I am sorry. I acknowledge your story.
Cycloptichorn

Thu 19 Oct, 2017 09:06 am
@maxdancona,
I'm not particularly concerned by Contrex' feelings, you're right about that. But that's because I actually read his post, in which he said he wasn't particularly harmed by it and didn't consider himself to have been molested until someone said something later.

Cycloptichorn
maxdancona

Thu 19 Oct, 2017 09:14 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Great Cyclo. Ten points for team Slytherin.

This is an odd thread... because it is a political thread about a topic that is both important and personal. To you, this is a game, another thread where anyone who steps out of line is fair game. I can punch back, and I am not saying that I haven't gotten caught up in it and responded. But, on this thread it is a little odd. This is one topic where different views and experiences should be accepted instead of being attacked.

It is the same ideological bickering about a topic that shouldn't be treated that way.

I kind of wish this weren't just another political thread.
Cycloptichorn

Thu 19 Oct, 2017 09:32 am
@maxdancona,
Amusing that you would write this:

Quote:
This is one topic where different views and experiences should be accepted instead of being attacked

But, when Centrox expressed said this:

Quote:
The problem lies overwhelmingly with men forcing their sexual attentions on other men, boys and (mostly) women.

Instead of accepting his opinion (which I happen to agree with 100%), you... got angry and attacked him for stating that, because you didn't agree with his opinion.

The point isn't that your experiences aren't valid, or your viewpoint is wrong. It's that your behavior makes it seem like you're far more interested in picking fights than engaging in productive discussion. Can you not see that? And when people point that out, you attack them and accuse then of 'partisan politics' which just reinforces the problem

Cycloptichorn
izzythepush

Thu 19 Oct, 2017 09:44 am
@maxdancona,
You did belittle Contrex, and now you're doing what you always do, pretending that you've been misinterpreted, misjudged, picked upon. It is rather pathetic, try to have a little pride ffs.
maxdancona

Thu 19 Oct, 2017 10:16 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Do you understand why a human being might have an emotional reaction to what Contrex said? Do you accept that I am a human being?

On an apolitical thread to discuss the experiences of survivors of sexual assault, it would have been possible for everyone to accept what I feel without diving into personal attacks. If someone had sincerely said that I was reacting emotionally toward Contrex, this could have been a civil discussion.

I am a human being.

maxdancona

Thu 19 Oct, 2017 10:35 am
@izzythepush,
You have been playing this game for years. I am used to it. You try to bully and discredit anyone who steps outside of your view of political correctness. You fight dirty and you make it personal

Several years ago now, I referred to myself as a "single father". I am single, and I am a father. Whether a divorced man or woman can refer to themself as a "single parent" if the other spouse shares some of the responsibility is a matter of dictionary definition and had nothing to do with the point I was making.

"Gotcha!!!" you said, and pushed that for literally years. Because this isn't about dialog to you... it is a game, or some battle for you to silence anyone who doesn't fit into your narrow ideology.

The rest of the stuff you made up. You claim that I am a rapist, and that I have attacked survivors... you have never once provided a link to any of it. You always say "I don't need any evidence"... since everyone in your clique already knows it is "true".

It is bullying. The goal is to push out everyone who doesn't fit into a ideological mold. That is why you see the vulgar attacks and nasty accusation (all unsubstantiated).

It is a shame that this nasty little ideological war has to spill over to this particular issue. You all can go to Facebook and build your filters, Facebook allows you to put up little walls so that you only see things that support your world view. But apparently that isn't enough. You have to wage this nasty little campaign to shut off any disagreement along with the little clique you have built up here.

Robert Gentel

Thu 19 Oct, 2017 10:41 am
@maxdancona,
Everyone in this discussion is a human being. There are no robots here. I'm not going to read back through this spat but at least from your very next post I would say that what you describe as being "personally attacked" closely resembles what you subsequently dish out (i.e. direct criticism). You are probably justifying it as a reaction to some perceived initial attack but if not being attacked is something you are keen on the whole not attacking others generally helps in my experience. If the argument generates unpleasant emotions stepping back from it is always an option because there is often no victory in trying to "win" this kind of spat and no shame in quitting a discussion that is not edifying to you.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 19 Oct, 2017 10:45 am
@maxdancona,
I've had you on ignore, I'm not bothered in talking to you. I only got involved here because you hijacked the thread and started attacking victims.

I've given you good advice, but you don't want to take it, you prefer to live in some fantasy world where you're a victim, and everyone bullies you and picks on you because they're so mean.

The truth of the matter is you bring it all on yourself, you attack people and then cry foul when they fight back. I think you've got some sort of condition, you should see a psychiatrist or something. I think you may actually believe your own lies.

I've wasted more than enough time on you as it is, so you're back on ignore.
Robert Gentel

Thu 19 Oct, 2017 10:49 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
... you attack people and then cry foul when they fight back. I think you've got some sort of condition, you should see a psychiatrist or something. I think you may actually believe your own lies.

Unintentional irony. Both people in an argument that has gone on long beyond its utility invariably claim to be "fighting back".
0 Replies

centrox

Thu 19 Oct, 2017 11:09 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
- Contrex wrote a post that clearly excluded male victims and female perpetrators.

Except I didn't.
centrox

Thu 19 Oct, 2017 11:28 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
he said he wasn't particularly harmed by it and didn't consider himself to have been molested until someone said something later.

I was so unworldly. Later on, I went to a British public school, and there was a phys. ed. teacher who felt my arse (he went further with some other boys) who used to come after sports sessions and "check" that we were all taking a shower. He liked whacking 13 year olds on the arse with a gym shoe. He later had a torrid affair with the Head Boy. Now I would say he was a groomer. He had a kind of clique around him, and took some boys on a trip to Brighton in the summer holidays the year I was 14. (I missed that, and it's probably just as well, from what I heard.) I think that the spirit of the day was that boys didn't complain about things, especially "unspeakable" things, and anyway who would have believed us? So maybe I swallowed the harm? And it festered away for decades?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 19 Oct, 2017 05:23 pm
To return to the origin of the thread:

Al Jazeera English:

Women are recounting their experiences of sexual assault using the hashtag #MeToo. But will men take responsibility for their actions?

I posted about men on men assault, in the same post, to open up the scope, to encourage everybody abused to feel encouraged to speak out. Persons who were assaulted but cannot recount the experience, are encouraged to post, simply, "Me too."