Me Too

oralloy

Tue 22 Jan, 2019 07:00 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
I found the idea that anyone could be ‘disappointed’ by Aquaman puzzling... To me it sounds like being disappointed with your last Kentucky Fried Chicken.
I haven't seen it yet. I'm probably going to wait to see it on 3D Blu Ray. But the reviews, while generally positive, were not overwhelmingly so.

Apparently it was good, but it could have been better. Someone who was hoping for a "truly great" movie would probably be disappointed.

If your meal at a restaurant wasn't as good as you'd hoped for, it would be reasonable to be disappointed with that as well.
Olivier5

Wed 23 Jan, 2019 01:33 am
@oralloy,
I don’t go to KFC and I don’t watch superhero movies for the same reason: i hold no expectations of quality from them.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Tue 29 Jan, 2019 06:42 am
Tarana Burke, activist and founder of the #MeToo movement, released a series of public service announcements (PSAs) about sexual assault at Sundance this weekend. The animated videos feature the voices of survivors, including actor Terry Crews, telling their own stories about sexual violence. You can watch them (or rather hear them) here:

https://www.refinery29.com/en-gb/2019/01/222823/tarana-burke-sundance-film-festival-me-too-celebrity-videos

Quote:
Why was it important to you to include male survivors in these PSAs?

"As a first media project that we're coming out with, it was definitely important to include male voices, because we're really trying to underscore and emphasise that this is not a woman's movement. There's just not enough conversation about male survivors, about men and boys who survived child sexual abuse, or men who experienced sexual harassment. As we've seen with Terry Crews, it's very evidenced by his case, that men who come forward are ridiculed, and shunned, and treated unfairly. "We wanted to be really declarative about the fact that men belong in this movement, straight and queer men, girls and women, documented, undocumented. However you identify across the spectrum of gender, race, and religion, sexual violence affects your life. Either you know a survivor, or you are one, or both."
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 20 Feb, 2019 01:07 pm
First few paragraphs of Virginie Despentes' King Kong Theory (2006), probably too French for most here - irrespective of gender - but nevertheless and perhaps for this very reason, highly recommended:

"I am writing as an ugly one for the ugly ones: the old hags, the dykes, the frigid, the unfucked, the unfuckables, the neurotics, the psychos, for all those girls that don't get a look-in in the universal market of the consumable chick. I'm making no excuses for myself. I'm not complaining. I would never swap places, because it seems to me that being Virginie Despentes is a more interesting business than anything else going on out there.

I think it's wonderful that there are also women who love to seduce, who know how to seduce, others who know how to get a husband, women whose perfume is sex and others who smell of home-baked cakes for the children's tea. Wonderful that there are very gentle women, women completely at home in their feminity, young, exquisite women, flirtatious women, radiant women. I am delighted, really, for all those women who are happy with the way things are. I'm saying this without the slightest irony. It's just that I am not one of them. Of course I wouldn't write what I write if I were beautiful, so beautiful that I turned the head of every man I met. It's as a member of the lower working class of womanhood that I speak, that I spoke yesterday and am speaking again today. When I was on the dole I was not ashamed of being a social outcast. Just furious. It's the same thing for being a woman: I am not remotely ashamed of not being a hot sexy number. But I am livid that as a girl who doesn't atract men, I am constantly made to feel as if I shouldn't even be around. We have always existed. We just never feature in novels written by men, who only create women they want to have sex with. We have always existed, and never spoken. Even today, when women publish lots of novels, you rarely get female characters that are unattractive or plain, unsuited to loving men or to being loved by them. On the contrary, contemporary heroines adore men, meet them easily, sleep with them after just a couple of chapters, come in four lines and they all enjoy sex. The character of the loser in the feminity stakes doesn't just appeal to me, she's essential to me. In the same way as is the social, economic or political loser. I prefer the guys who don't make the cut for the simple reason that I myself often don't make it. And because generally speaking humour and invention are to be found on our side: when you don't have what it takes to think highly of yourself, you tend to be more creative. As a girl, I am more King Kong than Kate Moss. I'm the kind of girl you don't get married to, the kind you don't have babies with. I am writing as a woman who is always too much of everything - too aggressive, too noisy, too fat, too rough, too hairy, always too masculine, I am told. And yet it's my virile, masculine qualities that make me more than just any old social misfit. I owe to my very masculinity everything I like about my life, everything that has saved me. I am writing therefore as a woman incapable of attracting male attention, satisfying male desire, or being satisfied with a place in the shade. It's from here that I write, as an unacttractive but ambitious woman, drawn to money I make myself, drawn to power, the power to do and to say no, drawn to the city rather than the home, excited by experience and not content with just hearing about it from others. I'm not into giving a hard-on to men that don't make me dream. It has never seemed obvious to me that good lookers are having all that great a time. I have always felt ugly, I put up with it and now I'm starting to appreciate it for having saved me from a crap life in the company of nice, dull, small-town guys who would have taken me nowhere fast. I like myself, as I am, more desiring than desirable.

https://books.google.com.et/books/about/King_Kong_Theory.html
Lash

Wed 20 Feb, 2019 06:49 pm
@Olivier5,
A nice little read.
Olivier5

Wed 20 Feb, 2019 11:15 pm
@Lash,
You mean, you've already read the book?
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 21 Feb, 2019 12:40 am
@Lash,
Commenting on your post.
Olivier5

Thu 21 Feb, 2019 02:26 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Commenting on your post.

I highly recommend the book.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Mon 11 Mar, 2019 01:36 pm
https://scontent.fhou1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/50022245_2067554746664566_1152734471666008064_n.png?_nc_cat=1&_nc_ht=scontent.fhou1-2.fna&oh=cb986444a079fb707b48381e78d7ec1e&oe=5D22F533
0 Replies

Olivier5

Thu 14 Mar, 2019 08:37 am
The Impact of #MeToo in France: An Interview with Lénaïg Bredoux
by Aida Alami, NYRB, 13 March 2019

https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2019/03/13/the-impact-of-metoo-in-france-an-interview-with-lenaig-bredoux/

(goes beyond the usual US French clichés)
0 Replies

engineer

Tue 16 Apr, 2019 06:49 am
Article from the stats folks at fivethirtyeight.com on the partisan divide on MeToo issues. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/are-americans-more-divided-on-metoo-issues/

What strikes me is not so much the partisan divide but how little it has changed from 2016.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/conroy-metoo-0415.png?w=575
0 Replies

Olivier5

Mon 20 May, 2019 09:48 am
French rapper Eddy de Pretto on toxic masculinity (de Pretto is openly gay).

You will be virile, my kid
I don’t want to see tears
Slip on this heroic face and this body all carved up
To reach fantastic heights
That only a reverie could surpass

Without an ounce of feminity
Neither airs nor gestures that mean…
God knows they are the worst to come
And castrate you for a few vocalizes

Far from you, all these tactical finesses
All these women on diet, who feminize and weaken you
Under the pretext of being the faithful messiah
Of this dear and archaic model

You will hold in your hands the iconic inheritance of Apollo
And like all boys, you will run after a ball to become a champion
You’ll become my little historical hero

Abusive masculinity (2x)

I want to see your pale complexion
Get black with fights and forge your mind
That none of these ladies point you to pink countries
Nefarious to such glorious fellows

You will hoist your masculine power
To counteract this sensitive essence that your mother
Keeps spreading in the family
Tiring your invulnerable Achilles

You will count the abundance notes
That bloom under your feet that you will never cross
You will spit in all directions, parade proudly
Doped with flesh, nerves and proteins

You'll shine with your physical strength
Your dominant look, your caïd posture
And your triumphant sex to despise the weak
You will derive pleasure from rude sparks

Abusive masculinity (4x)

But me, but me? I do play with the girls
But me, but me? I do not praise my own cock
But me, but me? I will accelerate your aging
So that your words cease and disappear
(2x)
0 Replies

dh charles

Mon 10 Jun, 2019 01:05 am
Women seem.. mistakenly...unintelligent at times. However, it is just that they become so emotionally charged (by evidence of reaction to this post, I'm sure). Some just will not accept that women think differently than men. Not a bad thing.Unless this cloud is changed (in a collective sense) it is another thousand and more years of not being positive and truly lasting actors in our society. For example, Candace Owens could then be president some day. Stop this reaction-formation (look it up) and just think of all the possibilities that could come true, not because you are owed it, not because any other reason but what I call the 3 c's; confidence, common-sense and communication.
glitterbag

Tue 25 Jun, 2019 02:34 pm
@dh charles,
I guess you missed the Kavanaugh hearings.
maxdancona

Tue 25 Jun, 2019 08:33 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

I guess you missed the Kavanaugh hearings.

You mean Justice Kavanaugh? The one who now sits on the Supreme Court?
glitterbag

Tue 25 Jun, 2019 09:53 pm
@maxdancona,
Yes, as a matter of fact.

But he wasn't a justice until after his crybaby performance in front of the Republican Senators.
maxdancona

Wed 26 Jun, 2019 03:29 am
@glitterbag,
And now he is on the highest court in the land... for life. You can't argue with success.
InfraBlue

Wed 26 Jun, 2019 03:50 pm
So much for dh charles' assertion of emotional charging being exclusive to women.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Wed 26 Jun, 2019 08:19 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

And now he is on the highest court in the land... for life. You can't argue with success.

Well, Donald Trump is president and he is keeping babies in filthy conditions on our Southern Border (and at a few military detentiopn centers). Yes indeedy, makes a patriot proud. Having another deviant on the USSC is just the cherry on the sundae.
maxdancona

Wed 26 Jun, 2019 08:30 pm
@glitterbag,
If only Hillary hadn't lost the election with her entitled woman vs deplorables schtick.
0 Replies