Me Too

Cycloptichorn

Tue 31 Oct, 2017 10:21 am
@maxdancona,
I really don't think you do accept responsibility for your own behavior. You haven't apologized to anyone you wrongly yelled at. When we pointed out that Centrox was a survivor himself, which you didn't even read in the post you yelled at him about, you didn't apologize to him for doing so. You haven't owned up to ****, just continued to complain, which is tiresome.

I personally have no problem with any of my posts here, but then again I'm not some sort of sanctimonious asshole who pretends they never shitpost. If I see someone acting badly, lying, or making a bad argument, I call them out on it because I enjoy doing so.

Quote:
I can't judge what Edgar's intent was. But taking him at his word, his utopian goal for this thread wasn't realistic.

If we had subtracted all the drama caused by you kvetching about people ignoring your own personal position, I think this thread would be doing just fine. There are many people who have stories to share on this topic (including me) but there's no point when it's just one dude railing against the world. Your own behavior is wrecking the thread more than people responding to your behavior.

Quote:
The view here seems that you can use vulgar name-calling to get people you don't approve of to disappear.

Nobody wants you to disappear. Just to stop being such a ******* drama queen.

Cycloptichorn
maxdancona

Tue 31 Oct, 2017 10:40 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Come on Cyclo. This is a bullying post... and I am not buying. When I say I accept responsibility, it doesn't mean that I am going to accept the ideological narrative of your group. I am saying that no one takes the responsibility for anything I posted except for me... I could have responded differently, or walked away, at any point. I chose not to.

Here is what I take responsibility for:

- One part of this thread upset me. I posted my feelings that this thread upset me. I explained why; I feel this is a politicization, and I feel that this minimizes the experiences of people who don't fit the narrative. If I sounded angry, then maybe it was because I feel angry. Expressing my emotions on a public thread about a personal topic seems legitimate to me, so I expressed them.

- I got pulled into the same ideological battle with the same little group of posters that happens on every political thread. I didn't have to get pulled in. If I chose to leave rather than respond, the drama would not have happened.

- Every post I wrote here, every opinion I expressed, whether good bad is based on my opinions and my feelings about the topic. I didn't have to post any of them. I chose to, and the resulting conflict happened as a result. The same can be said about everyone else.

Here is what I don't take responsibility for:

- The grand vision of a one-sided feel good thread where liberal enlightened men support and defend women who share personal experience, and no one has or expresses any negative feelings or dissent. This is not realistic on a public open forum where anyone can respond based on their own feelings, experiences or opinions. There are closed groups for this.

- No one had to participate in the drama. If people had ignored me, or responded responsibly, the drama would not have happened.

- The personal attacks, the political statements, the vulgarity, the closing of ranks... these are all staples of a core group on Able2know. This thread is no different than any other thread... because no one here (including me) acted any differently.

There are three ways that your crowd could have responded to me on this thread. You could have ignored me, you could have engaged constructively (even if I was acting upset), or you could have escalated into vulgar personal attacks.

We all know what happened.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Tue 31 Oct, 2017 11:12 am
Well I tried guys.

I'm just going to go back to ridicule, it's more fun and more productive than useless attempts at engagement

Cycloptichorn
maxdancona

Tue 31 Oct, 2017 11:17 am
@Cycloptichorn,
You didn't try, Cyclo although it is nice for you to call out the "guys". But, anyway.... this thread is getting stupider each page, and I am feeling more than a little stupid for continuing to respond in this echo chamber and expecting to make any progress.

This is my last post on this thread. You "guys" have fun.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 31 Oct, 2017 11:30 am
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 31 Oct, 2017 11:39 am
I love Polly Styrene. Still relevant today.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 1 Nov, 2017 01:52 am
Quote:
Participants in Peru's Miss Universe Pageant broke with tradition and recited statistics detailing violence against women rather than give their body measurements.
The organisers also joined in showing news material of prominent cases of gender-based attacks.
The 23 aspiring beauty queens were hoping to get through to November's Miss Universe Competition in Las Vegas.
Last year thousands of women marched in Peru against gender-based violence.
Instead of giving their bust, waist and hip size, the contestants took turns reciting a roll call of shocking data.
One contestant said a girl dies every 10 minutes due to sexual exploitation in Peru.
Another said more than 70% of women in the country are victims of street harassment.
The televised show shocked viewers who were expecting traditional light entertainment.
The contest organiser, Jessica Newton, told the AFP news agency: "Unfortunately there are many women who do not know, and think they are isolated cases.
"I think that the fact that you are looking at your regional representative, at the queen of your department, giving open and real figures about what is happening in our country is alarming."
She said out of the 150 participants in Peru who had begun the contest, five had been victims of violence, including rape.
At the end of the evening the pageant contestants were asked what they would do about violence, instead of lightweight questions about hobbies and ambitions.
The winner of the Peru pageant, Romina Lozano, representing Callao department, said her plan would be "to implement a database containing the name of each aggressor, not only for femicide but for every kind of violence against women. In this way we can protect ourselves",
The contestants are planning to lead a march to highlight violence against women in Lima in November.
According to the Observatory of Citizen Security of the Organisation of American States, Peru ranks as second only to Bolivia with the worst record of violence against women in South America.
The Peruvian government says 800 women have been murdered in gender-related violence in the six years leading up to 2015.
Peru's Congress passed a law in September 2015 providing comprehensive measures to prevent and punish violence against women and set up shelters and temporary refuges for women.
Gender-based violence has been a hot issue in Peru.
Last year tens of thousands of women demonstrated in Lima and other cities calling on the authorities to do more to stop it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-41827062

Not sure how I feel about this, I'm opposed to beauty contests, they're really tacky, but I approve of what these ladies are doing.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 1 Nov, 2017 03:07 am
Already the establishment forces are trying to shut down victims.

Quote:
An arrest warrant has been issued in the US for the actress Rose McGowan for possession of a controlled substance.
It follows an investigation into belongings left on a United Airlines flight from LA to Washington Dulles airport in January.
The belongings reportedly belonged to McGowan and had traces of a controlled substance.
Washington police obtained the warrant on 1 February, spokesman Rob Yingling said.
The authorities say they have been trying to contact McGowan so she can appear in court in Virginia.
McGowan, 44, is among the most prominent accusers of Harvey Weinstein, the Hollywood mogul facing multiple allegations of sexual assault and harassment.
Writing on Twitter on Monday, Ms McGowan hit out at the arrest warrant, asking "Are they trying to silence me?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41823667
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 1 Nov, 2017 04:18 am
I can find no evidence that McGowan made her allegation against Weinstein before the 1st of February. At the same time, even a conviction for possessing a controlled substance would not in any way invalidate her allegations against him; that would be the very essence of a tu quoque fallacy--her alleged moral turpitude in regard to drugs does not excuse or justify his behavior. I am skeptical that this warrant in Virginia constitutes an attempt to silence her.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 2 Nov, 2017 04:45 am
So many in entertainment getting outed. I keep looking for signs it is happening in other walks of life.
izzythepush

Thu 2 Nov, 2017 05:35 am
@edgarblythe,
It is over here.

Quote:
Defence Secretary Sir Michael Fallon has resigned, saying his behaviour may have "fallen short" of the standards expected by the UK military.
He told the BBC that what had been "acceptable 15, 10 years ago is clearly not acceptable now".
He is the first politician to quit following recently revealed claims of serious sexual abuse in Parliament.
The BBC understands fresh claims about his behaviour were raised on Wednesday, but Downing Street refused to comment.
Political editor Laura Kuenssberg said that sources close to him do not believe he is "some kind of predator", but that he had not felt that he could guarantee that he would be able to account for every encounter in his long ministerial career.
Theresa May said she appreciated the "serious manner" in which Sir Michael had considered his Cabinet role.
She also praised the "particular example you wish to set servicemen and women and others".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41838682
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 10:38 am
Ever since the Cosby thing blew up, I have been disturbed, because I held the man in such high regard, prior. Now, adding Dustin Hoffman and Kevin Spacey to the list is doubly painful. Their public, professional, work, to me admirable. The news is like dumping acid on and melting away their accomplishments. How do others deal with the body of work such men have created?
Glennn

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 11:02 am
@edgarblythe,
People are just people. I think that the explanation for such behavior is rather simple. Sometimes, when someone works themselves up to the point where they act on their sexual desire, they mistakenly believe that the object of their desire feels the desire, too, or that with a little prompting, they will succumb and enjoy the encounter also. Hormones can override rational thinking.

Of course there are other explanations.
0 Replies

centrox

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 11:02 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
How do others deal with the body of work such men have created?

Some years ago, a German music artist my wife and I liked, Oliver Shanti, was given 7 years in jail for offences against young boys. All his CDs went in the trash.
Glennn

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 11:05 am
@centrox,
Quote:
All his CDs went in the trash.

Why?
glitterbag

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 10:55 pm
@Glennn,
Because.
Glennn

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 11:05 pm
@glitterbag,
I should have known.

I might have taken them to a Goodwill store.
Setanta

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 11:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
Wagner was a virulent anti-Semite and extreme German nationalist. I consider that there are few passages of genius in his work, and I really have no interest in it. My brother has long been a big fan of Wagner, which is why I know his music well, despite my disgust with him. I don't listen to his music, unless social courtesy dictates that I should endure it.

I was long a fan of Marion Zimmer Bradley, a fantasy and science fiction writer. I only recently learned that she had sexually abused her daughter from the time the girl was five until she left home at age twelve, after denouncing her father to the police for the sexual abuse of an adolescent boy. It's not as though you'll read that in the blurb on the back of one of her novels. Her daughter revealed this after her mother and her uncle had died, which is extraordinary restraint, as far as I am concerned. The daughter's story has been corroborated in many details, apart, of course, from her mother's abuse of her--there is little reason to doubt her. Looking back over her novels, I realized how close they sail to the subject of child sexual abuse. I could not read or re-read one of her novels now.

Everyone has failings, and certainly one can be tolerant--up to a point. But being an artist or calling oneself an artist is no basis upon which to excuse someone. After the breakup with Mia Farrow, Woody Allen began a relationship with Soon Yi Previn, whom the couple parented, and who is 35 years his junior. He was also accused of child sexual abuse. I was never that big of a fan, his sense of humor and mine differ. Now, I'd never watch one of his movies again.

Some things I can tolerate--but the physical abuse of a spouse or a child is beyond the pale to me. Many years ago, when women began to accuse Arnold Schwarzenegger of sexual abuse, I stopped watching his films, which was no great loss because they're not great cinematic works. Exploiting one's power as a spouse, a parent, or a powerful person in an industry sickens me, and I'll have nothing to do with them.
glitterbag

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 11:27 pm
@Glennn,
You could, then you can claim a tax deduction. Well at least while we can still claim charity contributions and state, county and city taxes (yes, I live in freaking Annapolis and I pay them in addition to Federal income and property tax ((which the county and State collect separately from employment and pension ncome)) I donate a ton of things that I think might help others..........especially since I learned how much they reduce my tax burden). Shhhhhhh, we pay a ton of money to the feds, state and county govts on a quarterly basis as well out of our monthly checks. I’m thinking about registering as a corporation.....the corps. around here don’t pay ANY tax and might even receive a cut. (I wonder if the tax payers will start paying them to stay in business while they avoid paying taxes). I won’t get greedy, I’ll be happy if I don’t have to pay any taxes then I can spend more time pestering politicians to improve crumbling infrastructure and our roads........and I won’t have to spend another dime HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA. Eat my dust taxpayers.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Mon 6 Nov, 2017 11:31 pm
@Setanta,
I can’t watch Roman Polanski’s films.