A "Which End Do You Open Your Soft-Boiled Egg?" Digression.

steissd

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 09:35 am
I do not. I prefer eggs-and-bacon. If and when I come to Australia, I shall try Vegemite, maybe I shall like it.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 09:37 am
All this banter about the silly little egg!

Ok, a slight digression.. Whilst living up in Iceland right along the coast (as is the case with most all of the Icelandic population because.. well, the interior is pretty boring but.. I digress within a digression there...) I noted a recurring small group of people out wandering the fields along the shore each morning and always carrying what appeared to be a smallish Easter basket.

As it turns out there are few chickens raised in Iceland and as a result, darn few eggs. They usually import their eggs from Delaware (of all places, Delaware! Huh, whoodathunkit?) but because of the whole import thingy eggs tend to be rather pricey.

So, as I learned, quite a few Icelandics wander the rocks and grass along the shore and collect seagull and Puffin (Fratercula arctica) eggs for their breakfast. They go out early in the mornings and wander about raiding the nests of these birds and collect a few dozen eggs (which are much smaller than out standard chicken eggs..). The whole Puffin thingy gets a might bit touchy as the are a bird that many conservation groups are worried about so folks tend to get riled up when you serve their eggs for breakfast.

I never heard the Icelandics quibble much over big-endian or little endian-ness with Puffin eggs though.. I suppose because they are small enough you can just swallow them whole rather easily.

So... where were we? Oh yes.. eggs.. Ummm.. I'm seriously non-committal on the whole issue as I prefer mine scrambled so it really doesn't matter which way you open them.
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 10:15 am
Its quite a serious business and if you press me ( I'll giggle ) I come down firmly on the side of the um err errr umm..

... small enders.

There I've said it, all that catholic education, large tranches of time spent at -count them- 3 Universities getting educatedified and I have to come clean and state my case of which I'm certain, I'm a small ender !
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 10:56 am
When picking eggs to soft boil, make sure they are thick shelled all the way around and be sure there are no cracks.

dlowan, your way of eating them is so dainty, must have little finger extended when scooping egg out. I prefer my methodolgy - it the real and only way. No prissy egg cups for me -thank you muchly!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
I break the egg in half, scoop out contents of both halves into a bowl with butter, salt, pepper and tobasco sauce. Chop up contents and add torn up toast bits! Good eating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only way approved by the WSBEEC (World Soft Boiled Egg Eating Council).
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 10:58 am
Still haven't heard from any balut eaters, any out there?
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 11:04 am
What is balut, and whether it is edible at all? I failed to find the word either in Merriam-Webster's or on the www.dictionary.com...
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 11:16 am
Quote:
Balut (Or "Balot") is one of the Philippines' real native culinary delicacy that is sold every where in the streets. It is simply a duck egg cooked by boiling it for not less than 20 minutes. What makes balot special is that it is not simply an egg with the white and the yoke. It actually has a half-incubated chick inside it.

Please do not go to this website if you are squimish:

http://www.filipino.com.au/categ/cuisine/balot.htm
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 11:36 am
Quote:
The visual grossness of Balut might also be stimulating to people lost in a beer haze.

That is the point. Technically, it does not differ much from eggs-and-bacon (meat+egg), but it looks not so much edible for the non-Philipino eyes... And I do not drink booze.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 11:59 am
All this egging on has made me hungry - so I'm gunna hit the eggies for breakfast. Eaten, small end up and broken, of course, using my collection of egg cups. Whole grain bread toast fingers. Cup of English Breakfast tea. All is right with the world!

BillW - I'm afraid your way has absolutely no finesse! Confused

(and Australia thrashed India in the World Cup cricket overnight! No finesse there, either! Twisted Evil )
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 12:02 pm
Thank you margo, I appreciate that Exclamation :wink: Smile Very Happy Laughing Razz Razz Razz Cool Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 12:31 pm
Margo enough of the cricket we've just thrashed France at Rugby and we'll beat you in the World Cup too
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 12:35 pm
I was getting hungry as well until I went to the balot site. Very disturbing for sure!!!

Deb
When I responded last night I only had one eye open, so I'm so sorry I didn't catch the soft boiled thingy going on ;-)

I don't eat soft boiled eggs, so I suppose I'll have to sit this one out and just watch all of you eat them in all your special ways :-)
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 12:37 pm
hiama
Shocked Twisted Evil
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 01:00 pm

Margo %-)
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 01:42 pm
It's a good egg when it isn't runny, however it's cooked.
Somebody please digress
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 02:52 pm
NO! I am feeling most defiant and contradictory this morning!

That ducking filipino site is disgusting!
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 03:01 pm
I hear ya Deb. I still have no appetite. Gross, to say the least!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 03:05 pm
Lucky I did not look, eh - having opened, all unknowing, an egg in that exact state in my youth.

Oh, the horror!!!

And then they made us open eggs in crescendoing stages of development in biology. Fascinating, but awful - I felt such a murderer.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 03:08 pm
By the way, what side do the Philipinos open such eggs from: small or large?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 03:15 pm
By George, I think he's got it!

Steissd, we'll be having you as the funniest man on A2k in no time!

If I can teach people to appreciate The Farside, I can do anything in the realm of humour!

Oh dear, that was big-headed, wasn't it? Mea culpa, mea culpa....
0 Replies