A "Which End Do You Open Your Soft-Boiled Egg?" Digression.

dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 07:13 pm
As we all know, this is the question that divided the kingdoms of Lilliput and Blefescu in "Gulliver's Travels" - the Lilliputians holding, as do all sensible mortals, that one opens it at the little end - the Blefescuns contrariwise holding to the heretical belief that one opens it at the large end! Shocked

This horrid blasphemy is known as "the Big-Endian Heresy".

So - as a civilized and erudite salon - can we A2kers discuss this divisive issue like reasonable and rational beings - or will this degenerate into a fearful brawl?

I do hope our heavy political guns will apply their fine minds to this important question. It may keep them out of mischief elsewhere, and 'tis a necessary and crucial matter to determine.

Please leave your sense at the door - all welcome - especially new people and non-digressors - just ensure you indulge in no linear, Cartesian thought - let your hair down, be silly, footling, foolish and fanciful!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 17,644 • Replies: 364
No top replies

BillW

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 07:20 pm
I break the egg in half, scoop out contents of both halves into a bowl with butter, salt, pepper and tobasco sauce. Chop up contents and add torn up toast bits! Good eating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 07:23 pm
Classic non-committer....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 07:31 pm
Hnh. I just knock them on the counter so there's crushed shell all the way around the middle (the short way) and peel off the shell. I don't like runny yolks.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 07:44 pm
The sozlet reads lots of books about farms, animals, whatnot. Lots of mommy chicken sitting on eggs so they hatch into baby chickens type narratives. Cheep cheep go the adorable little baby chickens.

So, helping me make breakfast, seeing the yolks -- "Baby chickens!" Shocked No, no, these are a special kind of egg, it doesn't become a chicken.

This is pondered a few days. Brows are wiped in relief when it seems to have been a one-time thing.

Then, again, helping to make scrambled eggs, "baby chicken!" Oh dear. Reaction simmering, do we go the "different kinds of eggs" route again, or... "I want to eat the baby chicken!" You do? "Yes, I am a snake! I eat baby chickens!"

So much for the existential crisis...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 07:47 pm
Hmmm - you may have to introduce the notion of sex to the Sozlet early..... no sex, no baby chickens... and it is the WHITE that develops into the chick, the yolk is th efood source.

I LOVE runny yolks.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 08:42 pm
Hmm, I do the same as littlek. BillW my mom called eating hard boiled eggs the way you describe thme as "little piece eggs" and we had them all the time for breakfast.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 08:45 pm
Soz - great story!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 08:46 pm
Soz your sozlett is going to be one great kid. She rules.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 09:19 pm
open boiled eggs at both ends...sorta like the candle.

Ooooooooooh. I had a little chicken and he wouldn't lay an egg so I poured hot water down his left hind leg..aaaaaannnnd the little chicken hollered and the little chicken begged..and the damned old chicken laid a hard boiled egg..

See what you've driven me to, Deb?

"his" ? duh
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 09:47 pm
Hmmm,..It depends on my mood,..sometimes the bottom, sometimes the top,...jeezo that can cover more than one topic, now I feel dirty! Laughing Laughing

Story of my life! Laughing

But seriously,.when you hard boil eggs, the fresher they are, the more difficult they are to peel. So kiddies,..it's better to boil your oldest eggs!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 09:56 pm
yep - never hard boil a fresh egg - or hind leg - or.....you people is WEIRD!
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 10:03 pm
They boiled something in that movie "Fatal Attraction",..didn't they?? Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 10:04 pm
(the fresh egg thing is true though)
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 10:24 pm
Them ain't hard boiled eggs Joanne, them 4 1/2 minute soft boiled eggs. Ruiny yolks get soaked up by the toast. Um mmmm good.

Heah, at least it ain't balut!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 10:25 pm
Boiling the hind leg of a chicken begs the question: where do the chickens hide their forelegs?
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 10:29 pm
Go ahead, wing it littlek, I know you can do it! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 10:44 pm
We used to hunt hard boiled Easter eggs in a field as a kid. For some reason I loved those hardboiled eggs over the candy.
We'd peel carefully but still leave little pieces of purple, pink egg shell, eat them all the way home. Once my little girlfriend squashed two into her mouth and a nasty little boy slapped her on the back.

That little girl couldn't breath, except the egg. She turned purple and we all pounded her poor little back until all the egg spat out. What a fright. Don't eat boiled Easter eggs too far from home. Have a ambulance handy just in case, or a CPR person.
It's funny later, we still laugh, that little girl and I.

But, I peel my hrd boiled eggs by smashing the side of the sink. Sure is annoying when they don't peel. Down the disposal!
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 11:05 pm
I'm with Littlek and Joanne, I smash the suckers and peel the shell off any way it'll come off.

Tex-Star
Wow! I'm glad the little girl was ok. I'll be sure not to eat my hard boiled eggs alone in the future, lol ;-)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 01:01 am
For heaven's sake - we are speaking of SOFT boiled eggs!

Get with the program, people!

Hard-boiled eggs are of no controversy to anyone.

I take grave exception to the mention of little cousin Milly's sad demise in that awful film.....GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Chickens, as animadverted to above, hide their forelegs in their wingses - a little as Napoleon concealed his armies in his sleevies in winter.....
0 Replies