I Am In Charlottesville...

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2017 07:11 pm
...as some of you know. I would sometimes say, in jest, the center of the universe.
It has been an eventful week here. I have been trying to get my head around it all. I guess I am sad, angry and have had many other feelings.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 28 • Views: 12,544 • Replies: 102

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2017 07:42 pm
@realjohnboy,
I have been hoping and hoping you would post.

Not to push you.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2017 07:43 pm
@realjohnboy,
Stay strong and stay safe. I don't think the people of Charlottesville ever wanted this sort of attention. I don't think anyone would want this to happen in the town they live in. Over time this will all pass. Be strong. Are you a fan of the University of Virginia Cavaliers? This might be before your time, Ralph Sampson was one of the elite college basketball players in the country during his college days. I seem to remember Ralph Sampson's Cavalier team playing against Michael Jordan's Tarheel's team back in the day.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2017 07:52 pm
@realjohnboy,
"IT'S NOT ABOUT ROBERT E LEE" There is some truth to that, I think. C'ville was of no military import during the Civil War. The city leaders surrendered to whichever army came to town. It ended up being pretty much a hospital for the treatment of wounded soldiers on both sides.
There was the incident at Rio Mill (sort of in my backyard) during which Union troops under the command of George Custer crossed paths with a small force of Confederate soldiers. Shots were fired and a mule was killed. It is unclear which side it was on.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2017 08:10 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:
I have been trying to get my head around it all. I guess I am sad, angry and have had many other feelings.

I think that is a reflection of the feelings of many people. So much emotional turmoil.

Sadness tops my list right now.

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2017 08:46 pm
Robert E. Lee and the war to preserve the slavery of blacks that he fought for is a symbol of the white supremacy that the Charlottesville marchers espouse.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2017 09:30 pm
@realjohnboy,
rjb, Good to hear from you. These kinds of incidents in our country continues to remind us that bigotry is still alive and well, and there's not much we can do about it. As long as there are people who believe they are the "master race," or the privileged ones, this kind of incidents will continue. It's all about ignorance for which there is no cure.
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2017 09:52 pm
@InfraBlue,
It's becoming clear to me that this country never recovered from the Civil War. And of course the problem existed long before the war began. Is it that we as a people simply don't accept the philosophy expressed by our Constitution? Or do we not teach those ideas to our children well enough?
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2017 10:07 pm
Believe it or not, I think most of it is economic. When people find themselves living better than their parents, they tend to be satisfied with their lives and don't look for scapegoats. When people see their lives aren't going to get better, they look for groups of people who they think are responsible for it.

Since Reagan took office, the percentage of the wealth the top 1% own has gone up from 24% in 1980 to 45% now. That's additional one fifth of the nation's wealth the 99% used to get that they don't get now. The conservatives have put up a media blitz to prevent people from resenting the ever increasing amount going to the very rich, so those who seem to be merely running in place in life or even losing ground start looking for people to blame. More than anything, I think that is what happened in Charlottesville-most of the alt-right demonstrators were not from the area.
farmerman

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2017 10:26 pm
@Blickers,
Always loved to come down to Charlottesville , usually in the Fall. I was sorry to see how some people interpret their freedoms as dominant (in light of the same freedoms that should be enjoyed by others who don't agree).
TV cameras caught the Einsteins of the Aryan Nation in the audience. I think their high water mark has passed.
From hearing some o their pronouncements about "their culture", made me consider how nicely we've accelerated the dumbing down department.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2017 12:08 am
@realjohnboy,
Thanks for startingthisthreead - when I heard the news, I advance thought of you.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Ponderer

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2017 01:50 am
"... insure domestic Tranquility..."
izzythepush

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2017 02:15 am
@Ponderer,
Is that what you mean? Not ensure?
Ponderer

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2017 03:28 am
@izzythepush,
I think we're right. I spelled it their way.
Below viewing threshold (view)
jespah

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2017 08:57 am
@realjohnboy,
Stay safe.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2017 09:38 am
@Ponderer,
you mean theres yet another word you guys misspell? another car part you misname, or another meat product you mislabel? Wink
Don't tell Izzy,he gets pissed when you diss his idea of "bacon"
Ponderer

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2017 10:17 am
@farmerman,
Maybe Mr. Google couldn't read the 1700's writing. I think by the time anyone saw the mistake, it was too late. I mean, the document wouldn't look right with a big X on it and they couldn't just scrap it and start over.
What car part?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2017 10:33 am
@farmerman,
You're like a bloody broken record FM. There's a difference between ensuring something and insuring something. I thought you at least would know that.
0 Replies