I Am In Charlottesville...

farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2017 03:03 pm
@ossobucotemp,
the book store neqr the board walk . Wed go out there, get some calamari , sit down with a book and feed the seals fried calamari.
They loved it
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2017 03:16 pm
@farmerman,
<smiles>
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2017 05:45 pm
@farmerman,
Absolutely!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2017 07:03 pm
Rosanne Cash

A message from the children of Johnny Cash:

We were alerted to a video of a young man in Charlottesville, a self-proclaimed neo-Nazi, spewing hatred and bile. He was wearing a t-shirt emblazoned with the name of Johnny Cash, our father. We were sickened by the association.

Johnny Cash was a man whose heart beat with the rhythm of love and social justice. He received humanitarian awards from, among others, the Jewish National Fund, B’nai Brith, and the United Nations. He championed the rights of Native Americans, protested the war in Vietnam, was a voice for the poor, the struggling and the disenfranchised, and an advocate for the rights of prisoners. Along with our sister Rosanne, he was on the advisory board of an organization solely devoted to preventing gun violence among children. His pacifism and inclusive patriotism were two of his most defining characteristics. He would be horrified at even a casual use of his name or image for an idea or a cause founded in persecution and hatred. The white supremacists and neo-Nazis who marched in Charlottesville are poison in our society, and an insult to every American hero who wore a uniform to fight the Nazis in WWII. Several men in the extended Cash family were among those who served with honor.
Our dad told each of us, over and over throughout our lives, ‘Children, you can choose love or hate. I choose love.’

We do not judge race, color, sexual orientation or creed. We value the capacity for love and the impulse towards kindness. We respect diversity, and cherish our shared humanity. We recognize the suffering of other human beings, and remain committed to our natural instinct for compassion and service.

To any who claim supremacy over other human beings, to any who believe in racial or religious hierarchy: we are not you. Our father, as a person, icon, or symbol, is not you. We ask that the Cash name be kept far away from destructive and hateful ideology.

We Choose Love.

Rosanne Cash
Kathy Cash
Cindy Cash
Tara Cash
John Carter Cash

August 16, 2017

‘Not one of us can rest, be happy, be at home, be at peace with ourselves, until we end hatred and division.’ Rep. John Lewis
farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2017 08:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
I dont know why the Cashes felt compelled to rationalize the irrational. Neither did that company that makes those TIKI Torches.
Only DJ Trump seems to be touched in the head over what constitutes honest to god HATE
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2017 09:06 pm
@farmerman,
The Cashes seem to want to avoid guilt by association, or something.
farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2017 09:10 pm
@edgarblythe,
Those guys who make the Tiki Lights had a similar reason.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2017 10:56 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote edgar:
Quote:

And rightly so. Ever since popular music has taken on social commentary, it has become popular to wear the Tshirt of a performer or group who exemplifies your personal or political philosophy. The Cashes saw the guy's shirt, and understandably made clear what their father was all about.
Foofie

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2017 01:11 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

you need on;y watch several episodes of South Park whgere these same issues had been studied and made objects of satire

Never watched South Park. After Howdy Doody, tv went downhill, in my opinion.

You're a brave man for replying to my post and confirming my thinking by being the sole respondent.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2017 01:16 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

Quote edgar:
Quote:

And rightly so. Ever since popular music has taken on social commentary, it has become popular to wear the Tshirt of a performer or group who exemplifies your personal or political philosophy. The Cashes saw the guy's shirt, and understandably made clear what their father was all about.

Johnny Cash was an heroic figure for millions of us, of all persuasions. I can see others who do not know what he stood for wearing the shirt. He would never have lent his name to bigotry and Nazi sympathies.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2017 02:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
Many don't realize that Johnny Cash's songs were philosophical.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/222053361
https://www.google.com/amp/s/genius.com/amp/Home-free-ring-of-fire-lyrics
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2017 06:45 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Your anecdotal example doesn't change one inch to the obvious point [etc]

You wrote that Germany's "Left media dont give [nazis] airtime." If I'd pointed to an article or two in response, that would have been "anecdotal examples". But I linked to the (rather extensive) archive of articles about nazis which Germany's best known leftist newspaper has published over time. That's not "anecdotal" evidence. You'll find a fairly extensive track record of reporting on nazis at center-left or liberal newspapers, or the public service broadcast media, too.

The rest of your sentence, which I clipped here, seems to consist of you moving the goalposts to some impressively broad, vague and subjective claim which is conveniently impossible to falsify. Okay.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2017 06:48 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Hey! <waves> Yes, long time no see.

At some point I think I saw a poster using the same username as you on Daily Kos, and I said something -- not sure if that's you or it was just coincidence!

I'm not posting here much, but I look in sometimes. Wink Hope you're faring well in life!
Below viewing threshold (view)
InfraBlue

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2017 08:53 am
@cameronleon,
cameronleon wrote:

When white supremacists can't march rightfully with a permit given by a city, to demonstrate their presence as part of our society's diversity...

HA HA HA, delusional much?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2017 01:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
Sometimes a cigar is just something to smoke.

I suspect even KKK and Neo-Nazis have their favorite performers who don't necessarily sing only Deutschland über alles
Real Music

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2017 10:50 pm
@cameronleon,
Quote:
From now on, be careful, every time you see a liberal, you see a bigot or a potential bigot.
https://anythingbutsilent.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/165504_600.jpg
Olivier5

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2017 01:36 am
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DHVQ_xkXYAEQkeg?format=jpg&name=small
Racism: Will the Charlotteville tragedy help change things?
On the book: Loving Others for Dummies".
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2017 06:03 pm
@Real Music,
Quote:
@cameronleon,
Quote:
From now on, be careful, every time you see a liberal, you see a bigot or a potential bigot.

Please provide evidence that liberals can be a bigot or potential bigot.

From Huff Post:
Quote:
Intelligence Study Links Low IQ To Prejudice, Racism, Conservatism
Real Music

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2017 08:16 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Please provide evidence that liberals can be a bigot or potential bigot.
I never made the statement you are referring to. The statement you are referring to was made and posted by cameronleon.
0 Replies