I don't know what to do

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2017 04:14 pm
Me and my boyfriend meet awhile ago and it's both of our first official relationships with someone. Since I'm inexperienced with relationships, I don't know what it normal. The problem I'm having is that we keep running into a barrier. He talks about sometimes how I could do better than him and what not, which I try to reassure him differently because I have the same fear sometimes. I try to talk to him about why he feels that why and how we can fix it but it never works. He doesn't know why he does that stuff he does that makes him think I'm should be with someone better. And when I try to tell him to think about it or fix it, he says that it's too overwhelming to do it and he doesn't want to change. He would rather be miserable. I don't know if I'm the one asking for too much or something. I just need help because I can't watch him do this to himself for much longer

jespah

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2017 04:19 pm
@ChocoMint,
You do not have to fix him.

He has issues. They may even require a doctor's care. But whether they do or they don't, you do not have to let him drag your mood down.
ChocoMint

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2017 04:22 pm
@jespah,
I know I don't have to do anything. But I just feel like I want to help him. I've talked to him about going to the doctor before but he says he doesn't want to. And when I ask why, he says he doesn't know. I know I shouldn't let his mood affect me but it's hard for me to not feel bad
jespah

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2017 04:28 pm
@ChocoMint,
The thing of it is, mental illness (if this is a species of mental illness - it might or might not be, and I'm no doctor) often makes people think that doctors can't help them. Or that they don't deserve to be helped.

Being supportive is one thing. But when it is a real illness, it can be a form of enabling.

You're a good person to care but this will drag you down if you're not careful.
ChocoMint

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2017 04:34 pm
@jespah,
Thank you for the advice so far. I'm aware the thoughts that go along with mental illness, seeing as I have depression tried to kill myself in the best but I was able to work through.

I try to tell him that it helped me but it just seems like he doesn't believe it will work for him or that he is content with where he is.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2017 09:43 pm
All this talk about his unworthiness and low self esteem is going to get boring after a while. After all, it's all about him and going to start to be no fun.

You say you don't know how to have a relationship. Let me tell you, it isn't spending all the time trying to convince your partner how a relationship should be. He seems content with how things are. Is that how you want to spend your life?
0 Replies