Quit picking on the French

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 12:03 am
"France has neither winter nor summer nor morals. Apart from these drawbacks it is a fine country. France has usually been governed by prostitutes." ---Mark Twain

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me."
--- General George S. Patton

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."
--Norman Schwartzkopf

"We can stand here like the French, or we can do something about it."
---- Marge Simpson

"As far as I'm concerned, war always means failure"
---Jacques Chirac, President of France
"As far as France is concerned, you're right."
---Rush Limbaugh

"The only time France wants us to go to war is when the German Army is sitting in Paris sipping coffee."
--- Regis Philbin

There was a Frenchman, an Englishman and beautiful young woman sitting together in a carriage in a train going through a French Provence. Suddenly the train went through a tunnel and, as it was an old style train, there were no lights in the carriages and it went completely dark. Suddenly there was a kissing noise and the sound of a really loud slap. When the train came out of the tunnel the woman and the Englishman were sitting as if nothing had happened and the Frenchman had his hand against his face where he had been slapped. The Frenchman was thinking: 'The English fella must have kissed her and she missed him and slapped me instead.' The woman was thinking: 'The French fella must have tried to kiss me and actually kissed the Englishman and got slapped for it.' And the Englishman was thinking: 'This is great. The next time the train goes through a tunnel I'll make another kissing noise and slap that French bastard again.'

Next time there's a war in Europe, the loser has to keep France.

An old saying:
Raise your right hand if you like the French....
Raise both hands if you are French.

"You know, the French remind me a little bit of an aging actress of the 1940s who was still trying to dine out on her looks but doesn't have the face for it."
---John McCain, U.S. Senator from Arizona

"You know why the French don't want to bomb Saddam Hussein? Because he hates America, he loves mistresses and wears a beret. He is French, people."
--Conan O'Brien

"I don't know why people are surprised that France won't help us get Saddam out of Iraq. After all, France wouldn't help us get the Germans out of France!"
---Jay Leno

"The last time the French asked for 'more proof' it came marching into Paris under a German flag."
--David Letterman
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 12,168 • Replies: 351
No top replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 01:20 am
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/fifa/afp/fi/20020628/i/2554741179.jpg
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 01:24 am
Yeah, they've been nuts since the revolution. Damn good fashion, though.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 10:20 am
Portal Star, Really nice seeing you again. Wink
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 10:34 am
And they wonder why their tourism and wine exports are down.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 10:54 am
For sale. French rifles. Never fired. Dropped once or twice.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 11:26 am
With the increased value of the Euro against the US dollar, American tourism in Europe will decline significantly. I've been told by many tour directors in Europe that Americans are the big spenders, and the decline will hurt them real bad.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 11:29 am
We also tip. Something Europeans don't quite seem to grasp.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 12:02 pm
the whole tipping thing is just a cultural difference. The service peeps get paid more there (relatively).
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 12:23 pm
Yes but I have european friends living here in the U.S. that continue to undertip. I have taken it upon myself to pay the bills when go out with them and just collect later.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 12:23 pm
Could someone please explained this completely venemous hatred of the french. Is it because they refused to fight in Iraq?
Plenty of countries wanted nothing to do with Iraq.
Did they do something else? What?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 12:26 pm
They refuse to do anything, aside from happily selling stuff to Iraq illegally during the embargo period.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 12:45 pm
Ceili, We must have fun with the French once-in-awhile, cause the French are putting down the US every way they can. Fair trade sorta thing...
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 12:46 pm
Are they? I hadn't heard, Oh well then, tit for tat, eh!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 02:13 pm
Yeah.

Since they get so much tat, they must be boobs.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 02:36 pm
Ceili wrote:
Could someone please explained this completely venemous hatred of the french. Is it because they refused to fight in Iraq?
Plenty of countries wanted nothing to do with Iraq.
Did they do something else? What?

Thank god, Ceili!!!

I have kept my nose out of the bizarre hate-fest that some have been indulging in on A2k (and, I assume, in US society?) over the last all too long months.

There's only so many fights I wanna get into - but it is so good to see an American say something about this weird and unattractive behaviour.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 02:44 pm
dlowan and Ceili, You're making this more than it really is to most Americans. If you haven't noticed yet, the first post sort of makes fun of the French, but many are comedic types or cartoon characters. There have been some very unfavorable statements by Chirac about America and Americans, but we'll let that slide by. There are no French or others supporting Americans, but I guess that's okay too!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 02:45 pm
BTW, the ultimate in stupidity is people taking "Freedom Fries" as serious.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 02:54 pm
c.i. this thread just seemed like a safe place to ask the question. On many previous thread the pile is overwhelming. So, please explain it to me.

dlowan, I'm a canadian. We didn't join the war on Iraq. There are plenty of Canadian jokes about this, no worries we can take 'em. But the hatred directed towards france is unbelievable. I just want someone to clarify the reasons behind it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 02:58 pm
Sorry Ceili!!!!!! How blush-making!

We were dumb enough to go to Iraq - but the last time there was anti-French hysteria here, it was when they were testing nukes in the South Pacific, and sent two of their Secret Service agents to blow up the protesting Greenpeace ship, the Rainbow Warrior, in Auckland harbour - killing a crew-member - and, when the French government repatriated the agents - found guilty in a NZ court, on the promise that they would serve out their sentence in France - they released them, to a heroes' welcome, almost immediately.

But - we got over it.
0 Replies