Big Girls should take the stairs NOT the elevator

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 10:38 am
Shocked Some people amaze me. Shocked

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,137198,00.html

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A University of New Hampshire student was kicked out of his dormitory room for posting fliers suggesting that women take the stairs in order to get a little exercise and avoid gaining weight, reports the Nashua Telegraph.

Sophomore Timothy Garneau was accused of violating the school's harassment policy, lewd conduct and defying the affirmative action code for posting a flier outside the elevator reading: "9 out of 10 freshman girls gain 10-15 pounds. But there is something you can do about it. If u live below the 6th floor takes the stairs. Not only will u feel better about yourself but you will also be saving us time and wont be sore on the eyes."

Garneau maintains that the language was a joke and arose out of his and other students' frustration with residents who take the elevator up or down one floor and prolong the wait for people going longer distances.

He has been evicted from the dorm, put on probation until May 2006, will be forced to participate in a sexual harassment program and write a 3,000-word paper on the program, he said.

The Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, which has a copy of the offensive flier, says the school has violated Garneau's right to free speech.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 11,022 • Replies: 157
No top replies

benconservato

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 11:09 am
my goodness, the world really isn't any different is it?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 11:20 am
I'm sorry, but what he did is not . . . let me repeat . . . is NOT sexual harrassment.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 11:24 am
Re: Big Girls should take the stairs NOT the elevator
Quote:
He has been evicted from the dorm, put on probation until May 2006, will be forced to participate in a sexual harassment program and write a 3,000-word paper on the program, he said.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Are those people f*cking serious!!?
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 11:26 am
no it is not sexual harassment, as such, but if something like that was said about men, or something simular, there would be an outcry as well.

You only have to look (to use a slightly off topic reference) at the amount of research done into the female contraceptive pill. Because men don't take it, there is no real need to upgrade research into long term use. But if men were taking it, I am sure things would be different.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

It sounds like an overreaction, for sure, but the guy was being a jerk...
0 Replies

benconservato

seems they are serious. The only part of the story that bothers me is his freedom of speech has been revoked. now that is bulls**t!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 11:56 am
We can't compare birth control pill research with this guy's poster.

My former husband -- a mean and critical man -- lives in NH and loves to make fun of the heavy women there. He's an a**hole but not guilty of sexual harrassment in this case. Hypocrisy, of course, as he himself is heavy.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 05:25 pm
Guys would NOT care if the flier had reversed roles.

GUYS would realize it was a joke, AND the truth. He said nothing that wasn't true. He just lacked tact.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 05:31 pm
Re: Big Girls should take the stairs NOT the elevator
nimh wrote:
Quote:

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Are those people f*cking serious!!?

Let me second that. Are those people f*cking serious!!?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 06:08 pm
Well, he was silly to post the notice, but it's hardly a hanging crime. I wonder if there are a number of obese folk on the college board? Seems to be rather an over-reaction.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 06:14 pm
I can imagine being very irritated re his notice, but this isn't on par with serious harassment. There are other ways to counter Thin Pride.

(This is not to say that taking the stairs is a poor idea, 'tis not a poor one.)
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 06:21 pm
Serious? No, not really, in any functional sense; they're Northeastern Liberals, taken seriously by no one but themselves, and that excessively so.

Political Correctness Uber Alles.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 06:32 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Serious? No, not really, in any functional sense; they're Northeastern Liberals, taken seriously by no one but themselves, and that excessively so.

Here's a good example of the fallacy of "political correctness". It's nothing more than a politically motivated smear that seeks to marry exemplar deficits in common sense to one's political opponents.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 06:38 pm
You have a point, CdK, but the point of parody and lampoon must be taken into account as well. Hyperbole and implied association are key elements of both.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 06:42 pm
Timber,

If that is the case "parody" (i.e. partisan irrationality) seem to be your new hobby. ;-)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 06:51 pm
timberlandko wrote:

Echoing Craven. I dont think ideology necessarily has something to do with this - political correctness comes in different flavours.

Imagine, for example, some rapper spitting out the equivalent to this in rap lyrics. Yo, you bitches be some ugly-ass hoes/you're as obese as you be verbose/chattin and taking up space/pushing your ugly selves up in our face/ you're a sore on our eyes/so give a f*cking break to us guys/you know what, I give you a dime/now go take the stairs and save us all some f*cking time.

Right? OK, now who's the more likely to hide a grin of his own and vaguely tut-tut about it when he hears a teen rapping along to this, and who's the more likely to go all indignant and write a letter to the local newspaper's editors about the youth of today and the outrage of it all - the Northeastern Liberal parent or teacher, or the Oklahoman Christian-conservative one?

Political correctness originally was about fighting racism, the systemic discrimination of women, stuff like that. But what it has turned into is, if anything, just the latest manifestation of petty bourgeois Puritanism, of "oh my God, you can't say that!"
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 06:59 pm
That could be an impression gleaned by some. I will note it is not at all uncommon for those most squarely in the aim of parody and lampoon to impute or infer malicious intent where none is presented. Laughing at oneself and one's own foibles can be a challenge.

Edit to add, after seein' nimh's latest post squeeze in there - Note to nimh - this post was intended as a reply in the exchange current between CdK and myself - it does not reference your intervening post, with which I am in full agreement.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 07:05 pm
Timber recently you have been writing off nearly all criticism of your prevarications as being mere political sensitivity. I don't think it malicious at all. Merely lacking in intellectual integrity.

But I have learned from the others' encounters with you and don't intend to waste my time any further.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 07:09 pm
But, er, Timber was agreeing, on the face of it anyway, with my post, and I'm a Southwestern Liberal of the Worst Sort.
0 Replies