Cuba: your thoughts?

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2017 01:58 pm
Mine are rather jumbled over years of time -
I know at least some a2kers who have connections, and would like to hear more.

The cuban girl in my 6th grade class in the Chicago area, Lucile Calderera, (or is it Calderero?) if I remember. Very smart. I remember liking her name for the sounds that were kind of new to me. This was still in the early 50's and I was still a shy person, but I think we at least talked a some at recess time, when we weren't playing softball.

Around the same time, the neighbors in a house down our suburban Evanston street went to Cuba for vacation, dates and details unknown, pre Castro. I do remember them reporting having some kind of completely wonderful time. Battista time, I take it, in retrospect. I've read about Battista, but now some years ago. I remember not being a fan.

Sometime later, at the exact day I turned 21, I had my first drink, this with my birthday celebrating friends. No, it wasn't a Cuba libra, but once I had one of those I liked them, including the name. That was just about Kennedy time, with more to come. I remember my confusion - invasion?
On the other hand, people were desperately escaping. anywhich way.

Others here know much more about it. I need to read more, part of why I ask.

I have been glad that Obama had gestured, for many reasons.

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2017 02:10 pm
On another subject, I wish the algorithm schema would let alone the order people add their tags in. No sensitivity at all to the poster's wishes is an odd practice.

I do get the whys, I think, but I just do not like them.

Tags can be a part of communication re priorities, but also screwed by that loss of order.

0 Replies

camlok

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2017 02:17 pm
The USA has been committing a genocidal terrorism against the people of Cuba since 1959. Before that the US was doing its usual robber baron/dictatorship/brutalize the people routine.

Where have all you kind, loving, generous, benevolent government of the people been for all these long years while the governments you supposedly control have been murdering, raping and pillaging?
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2017 02:47 pm
@camlok,
You tend to denote the people you don't like as evil.

Tuna!
Below viewing threshold (view)
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2017 03:19 pm
I am still interested in Cuba.
camlok

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2017 03:33 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Enough to stop the US genocide, the US war crimes, the US terrorism?
Sturgis

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2017 03:38 pm
@ossobucotemp,
No real thoughts about it apart from liking the idea of open trade and visitations.
camlok

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2017 03:49 pm
And Cuba is just one of many countries that the US did that and worse things to.

Really, what is wrong with you people?!!!

================
35 countries where the U.S. has supported fascists, drug lords and terrorists
As the situation in Ukraine continues to fester, a handy history guide -- from A (Argentina) to Z (Zaire)

9. Cuba

The United States supported the Batista dictatorship as it created the repressive conditions that led to the Cuban Revolution, killing up to 20,000 of its own people. Former U.S. Ambassador Earl Smith testified to Congress that, “the U.S. was so overwhelmingly influential in Cuba that the American Ambassador was the second most important man, sometimes even more important than the Cuban president.” After the revolution, the CIA launched a long campaign of terrorism against Cuba, training Cuban exiles in Florida, Central America and the Dominican Republic to commit assassinations and sabotage in Cuba. CIA-backed operations against Cuba included the attempted invasion at the Bay of Pigs, in which 100 Cuban exiles and four Americans were killed; several attempted assassinations of Fidel Castro and successful assassinations of other officials; several bombing raids in 1960 (three Americans killed and two captured) and terrorist bombings targeting tourists as recently as 1997; the apparent bombing of a French ship in Havana harbor (at least 75 killed); a biological swine flu attack that killed half a million pigs; and the terrorist bombing of a Cuban airliner (78 killed) planned by Luis Posada Carriles and Orlando Bosch, who remain free in America despite the U.S. pretense of waging a war against terrorism. Bosch was granted a presidential pardon by the first President Bush.

http://www.salon.com/2014/03/08/35_countries_the_u_s_has_backed_international_crime_partner/
Sturgis

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2017 03:55 pm
@camlok,
You have serious anger issues, try some calming exercises, because, right now it's just about impossible to have a rational conversation with you camlok
realjohnboy

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2017 05:43 pm
@Sturgis,
I recall that Cicerone has been to Cuba several times, as has my brother. My bro's favorite destination right now is Albania - largely unspoiled right now.
(It is downright HOT in Virginia right now ... 100 degrees for several days running.)
camlok

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2017 05:45 pm
@realjohnboy,
But no remorse for the century plus war crimes and terrorism that you all supported and possibly encouraged, realjohnboy?
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2017 06:33 pm
@realjohnboy,
Yes, he has.
The guy I want to hear from is Fbaezer.

Albania!! That is a place I've read a lot of nasties about (not that I just buy stuff). I'd like to hear what your bro has to say, no kidding.
camlok

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2017 06:36 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Nobody wants to face up to reality.

That is just so unAmerican of y'all!
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2017 06:51 pm
@ossobucotemp,
During my hitchhiking years (1970-74) Albania was closed ... no one in or out. The natives were told that their country was the most advanced in the world.
My bro was attracted by the scenery and by the definitely non-corporate dominated amenities (hotels, restaurants etc).
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2017 06:59 pm
@realjohnboy,
It has been hot here, ai, chihuahua.

But there, you get the major humidity.

0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2017 07:15 pm
@realjohnboy,
Most of my hearsay is about Albanian crime, which of course is an I don't know.

Interesting re the scenery, which makes sense, but I haven't known about it.