Pentagon Board Report: "US 'alienating' world's Muslims"

Einherjar

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 10:13 pm
Remember 2 parents to a couple australia
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 10:15 pm
That looks like a lot of assumptions, australia. Nimh sought a source for your "five children a family" statement (it was actually six or seven in your last post). If you intend to construct an argument about demographics, you should start with facts. Do you have any sources for the birth rates, immigration rates, or percentage of Muslims found in cities?
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 10:19 pm
Actually he increased that to ten children a family (five a parent).

He can't refer to numbers, because the numbers don't support his case.
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 10:24 pm
Einherjar wrote:
Actually he increased that to ten children a family (five a parent).

True, but don't rule out asexual reproduction. Turkish immigrants are apparently a resourceful bunch.
0 Replies

australia

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 11:58 pm
So, according to you geniuses, can i paraphrase your opinion, that there is no muslim problem in europe and as many muslims as possible should be encouraged to immigrate there?
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 12:03 am
The Islamization of Europe?
David Pryce-Jones

Only a few years ago, mass-murder attacks on the West in the name of Islam, like those of September 11, would have seemed like a thriller writer's fantasy. Nor would anyone have imagined that a bombing by Islamists could swing a general election in a European country, that a Dutch movie-maker might be shot dead on the street for a film about the abuse of women in Islam, or that one might find oneself watching, on television, the beheading of Western hostages by men crying out Allahu Akhbar! over their savage deeds. Pakistan now has a nuclear bomb, and this weapon is widely described as an Islamic bomb. To judge by their pronouncements, the Islamist leaders of Iran can hardly wait to perfect and use their derivative of it.

At present, it is not clear whether the religious/ideological rage that is the motive force behind these developments has any limits, whether it may yet succeed in mobilizing truly huge numbers of Muslim masses, or whether it can be deflected or crushed. What is clear is that a phenomenon that at first looked like a cloud no bigger than a man's hand has lashed up into a crisis with global implications.

Does this crisis amount to a "clash of civilizations"? Many people reject that notion as too sweeping or downright misleading. Yet whether or not it applies to, say, the situation in Iraq, or to the war on terror, the phrase has much to recommend it as a description of what is going on inside Europe today. As Yves Charles Zarka, a French philosopher and analyst, has written: "there is taking place in France a central phase of the more general and mutually conflicting encounter between the West and Islam, which only someone completely blind or of radical bad faith, or possibly of disconcerting naiveté, could fail to recognize." In the opinion of Bassam Tibi, an academic of Syrian origins who lives in Germany, Europeans are facing a stark alternative: "Either Islam gets Europeanized, or Europe gets Islamized." Going still farther, the eminent historian Bernard Lewis has speculated that the clash may well be over by the end of this century, at which time, if present demographic trends continue, Europe itself will be Muslim.READ MORE
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 12:10 am
australia wrote:
So, according to you geniuses, can i paraphrase your opinion, that there is no muslim problem in europe and as many muslims as possible should be encouraged to immigrate there?

I'm against turning away refugees, or anyone for that matter, based on religious persuation. I see a problem with muslim fundamentalism, but I think a lot of muslims will secularize with time. I do not see a muslim majority in the EU anytime soon.
0 Replies

australia

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 12:21 am
Ah okay, well at least you are honest. My opinion is completely opposite to you. I think your view is compassionate and wonderful in theory, but in my opinion it creates practical problems. Anyway, we will see how it turns out in many years.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 12:32 am
That we will.

I'd be interested to know though how you would go about legislating laws discriminating against islam, or even banning it, without it resulting in massive fallout in the form of terrorism.
0 Replies

australia

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 12:36 am
What would happen if the government had an immigration policy of having no muslim immigrants? Should it not be the countries right, to take in who they want?
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 12:39 am
australia wrote:
What would happen if the government had an immigration policy of having no muslim immigrants? Should it not be the countries right, to take in who they want?

The domestic muslim population would go haywire.
0 Replies

australia

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 01:05 am
Mmmmm but arn't we giving in to them then? You can use that excuse for anything in the future, eg the muslims wanting their own seperate state within the country.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 01:16 am
Not really, I wouldn't support discriminating policies anyway. If anything, crack down on all immigration.

There is also the diplomatic fallout from not accepting ones share of refugees.
0 Replies

australia

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 02:02 am
It is probably the way, most Governments think.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 03:06 am
Rightly so if you ask me.
0 Replies

australia

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 03:13 am
Well we agree to disagree on that one. I think this whole muslim issue is starting to depress me. I can't do anything about it so will just concentrate on enjoying the life and not read the news.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 03:15 am
Looking in.
Refugees are caused by wars.
Wars are caused by economic imbalance, largely.
Economic imbalance is caused by richer countries.
Richer countries object to refugees.
The only power to break that cycle is in the hands of the richer countries.
IMHO.
0 Replies

australia

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 03:18 am
And what is your great solution? To let every single refugee in. Every western country would look like a total rubbish dump if that happened.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 05:00 am
australia wrote:

No.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 05:06 am
JustWonders wrote:
Going still farther, the eminent historian Bernard Lewis has speculated that the clash may well be over by the end of this century, at which time, if present demographic trends continue, Europe itself will be Muslim.

The problem with columns, even if they include a reference to as eminent (if highly partisan) a scholar as Bernard Lewis, is that just asserting something does not make it true, and the column rarely tries to actually argue the case. I don't know what the benchmark of Europe "being Muslim" is, here (51% Muslim? 80% Muslim? 30% Muslim? 20% Muslim but with a majority in the cities?), but the prospect of an actual numerical majority of Muslims in Europe "by the end of this century" appears to be all but a statistical impossibility. You're welcome to even try to prove us wrong on that count, though.
0 Replies