Pentagon Board Report: "US 'alienating' world's Muslims"

dlowan

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 12:39 am
Interesting story in from the BBC. I will look around for more detail on this one - meanwhile:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4040543.stm

Note - the report is from "the Defence Science Board (which) is made of civilian experts appointed by the Pentagon, and offers the department advice on scientific, technical and other issues....." not

US 'alienating' world's Muslims

America's Muslims have come under pressure since the 9/11 attacks
The US is losing "the war of ideas" in the Islamic world, a Pentagon advisory panel has warned.
A report by the Defence Science Board says America's public talks of bringing democracy to Muslim nations is seen as "self-serving hypocrisy".

It says if the US wants Muslims to move towards its understanding of tolerance, it must reassure them this does not mean submitting to "the American way".

The report urges Washington to change its approach urgently.

In the eyes of Muslims, American occupation of Afghanistan and Iraq has not led to democracy there, but only more chaos and suffering

The Defence Science Board's report

However, it says that improving public relations is not enough.

"Muslims do not hate our freedom, but rather they hate our policies," the report says.

"The overwhelming majority voice their objections to what they see as one-sided support in favour of Israel and against Palestinian rights, and the long-standing, even increasing, support for what Muslims collectively see as tyrannies, most notably Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Pakistan and the Gulf states.

"Thus, when American public diplomacy talks about bringing democracy to Islamic societies, this is seen as no more than self-serving hypocrisy," the report says.

It adds that the US-led wars in Afghanistan and Iraq has actually raised the stature of radical enemies of America.

"US actions appear... to be motivated by ulterior motives, and deliberately controlled in order to best serve American national interests at the expense of truly Muslim self-determination," the report says.

'Information campaign'

It describes US public diplomacy as being in crisis and urges the creation of a strategic communications apparatus within the White House.

"The information campaign - or as some still would have it, 'the war of ideas' or the struggle for 'hearts and minds' - is important to every war effort," the report says, referring to the US-led war on terror.

The BBC's Nick Childs at the Pentagon says the report may not be official policy, but it does highlight many concerns in official circles in Washington about how the US government can communicate its messages abroad.

The Defence Science Board is made of civilian experts appointed by the Pentagon, and offers the department advice on scientific, technical and other issues.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 8,951 • Replies: 201
No top replies

JanW

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 09:48 am
This seems so very obvious to me and to so many people with whom I talk. I simply cannot understand why the majority of Americans don't understand the harm we are doing to ourselves.

In one sense it doesn't even matter whether our administration is "sincere" or "self-serving" (although my vote goes with the latter): the most crucial thing is that what we are doing is harming rather than helping us.

Not to mention the harm we are doing to the people in Afghanistan and Iraq.

It'll be interesting to see whether this report gets any media coverage at all in the US.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 11:44 am
I seem to have read that report a week or two ago.
All I can say is that Bush should have been given that report or one similar to it before he decided to invade Iraq.
The damage has been done and we will reap the whirlwind.
0 Replies

JanW

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 11:48 am
Bush was warned of the likelihood of this happening by the Pentagon. My source is comments made off the record at a conference on military ethics (at which there is a non-attribution policy).

And the odds of this happening was widely discussed in the media prior to our going into Iraq.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 07:24 am
I wonder why the perception isn't the opposite...How MUSLIMS are alienating AMERICANS!!

To date, we have found that not all Muslims are terrorists, but all the terrorists are Muslims.

As of yet, I have not heard too many high ranking Muslim leaders condem the attrocities committed against Americans as well as atrocities committed against their own people.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 09:29 am
woiyo wrote:
To date, we have found that not all Muslims are terrorists, but all the terrorists are Muslims.

corrected woiyo wrote:
To date, we have found that not all Muslims are Muslim terrorists, but all the Muslim terrorists are Muslims.

I have corrected your statement.

Quote:
As of yet, I have not heard too many high ranking Muslim leaders condem the attrocities committed against Americans as well as atrocities committed against their own people.

Which is the muslims fault, how? I remember this being alledged before, and refuted. Some high ranking muslim leaders have condemned the attacks, but this is so obvious it doesn't make the news.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 10:31 am
I think they published it at the same time as Rev. Fallwell's statement on the treatment of prisoners and the Catholic Bishop's news release regarding their stance opposing the invasion.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 01:59 pm
Ah Einherjar, good on ya.

I am currently too weary to attempt to refute with reason the tide of bigoted crap that sometimes washes into such threads.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 07:23 am
Quote:

Pentagon Board Report: "US 'alienating' world's Muslims"

Sounds like a step in the right direction; I mean, APPEASING them never accomplished anything, other than 9-11...
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 07:30 am
Apparently, some do not know the meaning of bigotry and feel it is more important for the US to understand WHY the Muslim are "mad at us" rather than defending this nation from the real bigots, THE MUSLIM EXTREMEISTS.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 10:07 am
It is good to know the motivations of your enemies, no?
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 11:25 am
It would be good for all (not just America, but let's include Western Europe as well) to know that the value system/moral code of many Muslims is incompatible with the basic convictions of Western civilization, period.

Just ask Holland.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 11:28 am
Quote:
It would be good for all (not just America, but let's include Western Europe as well) to know that the value system/moral code of many Muslims is incompatible with the basic convictions of Western civilization, period.

Just ask Holland.

No, it isn't. But this is the type of thing said by those who don't want it to be, for sure...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 11:43 am
Not if it includes murdering a man for criticizing their treatment of women. That value system will always be incompatible.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 11:44 am
Quote:
Not if it includes murdering a man for criticizing their treatment of women. That value system will always be incompatible.

There are crazies and radicals everywhere, that doesn't mean the ENTIRE SOCIETY is that way.

Would you really want Americans judged by our extremists?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 12:02 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

There are crazies and radicals everywhere, that doesn't mean the ENTIRE SOCIETY is that way.

Tell that to the mother in Breslin who had to choose which child to take with her, and which child to leave behind.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 12:04 pm
I knew the dead child trump card was coming.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 12:06 pm
Quote:
Tell that to the mother in Breslin who had to choose which child to take with her, and which child to leave behind.

Tell that to the people in Iraq whose entire families are dead because of US extremists.... they don't even have the luxury of your 'choice'.....

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JanW

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 12:10 pm
JustWonders wrote:

Frankly, the value system/moral code of many Christian fundamentalists is incompatible with the basic convictions of Western civilization.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 12:17 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

Tell that to the people in Iraq whose entire families are dead because of US extremists.... they don't even have the luxury of your 'choice'.....

Cycloptichorn

To which "US extremists" are you referring?
0 Replies