Blacks and women celebrate Condi Rice.

princesspupule

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 07:18 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Well assuming you can prove that--oh wait, you can't prove that--your opinion is in a distinct minority Harper.

Maybe not exactly a liar, maybe not exactly a perjuror, but something mighty darn close. Here's what she said in the 9-11 Commission testimony: http://wid.ap.org/transcripts/rice.html

Quote:
KEAN: Thank you very much, Dr. Rice. I appreciate your statement, your attendance and your service.

I have a couple of questions. As we understand it, when you first came into office, you just been through a very difficult campaign. In that campaign, neither the president nor the opponent, to the best of my knowledge, ever mentioned al-Qaida. There had been almost no congressional action or hearings about al-Qaida, very little bit in the newspapers.

And yet, you walk in and Dick Clarke is talking about al-Qaida should be our number-one priority. Sandy Berger tells you you'll be spending more time on that than anything else.

What did you think, and what did you tell the president, as you get that kind of, I suppose, new information for you?

RICE: Well, in fact, Mr. Chairman, it was not new information. I think we all knew about the 1998 bombings. We knew that there was speculation that the 2000 Cole attack was al-Qaida. There had been, I think, documentaries about Osama bin Laden.

I, myself, had written for an introduction to a volume on bioterrorism done at Sanford that I thought that we wanted not to wake up one day and find that Osama bin Laden had succeeded on our soil.

It was on the radar screen of any person who studied or worked in the international security field.

But there is no doubt that I think the briefing by Dick Clarke, the earlier briefing during the transition by Director Tenet, and of course what we talked with about Sandy Berger, it gave you a heightened sense of the problem and a sense that this was something that the United States had to deal with.

I have to say that of course there were other priorities. And indeed, in the briefings with the Clinton administration, they emphasized other priorities: North Korea, the Middle East, the Balkans.

One doesn't have the luxury of dealing only with one issue if you are the United States of America. There are many urgent and important issues.

But we all had a strong sense that this was a very crucial issue. The question was, what do you then do about it?

And the decision that we made was to, first of all, have no drop- off in what the Clinton administration was doing, because clearly they had done a lot of work to deal with this very important priority.

And so we kept the counterterrorism team on board. We knew that George Tenet was there. We had the comfort of knowing that Louis Freeh was there.

And then we set out _ I talked to Dick Clarke almost immediately after his _ or, I should say, shortly after his memo to me saying that al-Qaida was a major threat, we set out to try and craft a better strategy.

But we were quite cognizant of this group, of the fact that something had to be done.

I do think, early on in these discussions, we asked a lot of questions about whether Osama bin Laden himself ought to be so much the target of interest, or whether what was that going to do to the organization if, in fact, he was put out of commission. And I remember very well the director saying to President Bush, Well, it would help, but it would not stop attacks by al-Qaida, nor destroy the network.

KEAN: I've got a question now I'd like to ask you. It was given to me by a number of members of the families.

Did you ever see or hear from the FBI, from the CIA, from any other intelligence agency, any memos or discussions or anything else between the time you got into office and 9-11 that talked about using planes as bombs?

RICE: Let me address this question because it has been on the table.

I think that concern about what I might have known or we might have known was provoked by some statements that I made in a press conference. I was in a press conference to try and describe the August 6th memo, which I've talked about here in my opening remarks and which I talked about with you in the private session.

And I said, at one point, that this was a historical memo, that it was _ it was not based on new threat information. And I said, No one could have imagined them taking a plane, slamming it into the Pentagon _ I'm paraphrasing now _ into the World Trade Center, using planes as a missile.

As I said to you in the private session, I probably should have said, I could not have imagined, because within two days, people started to come to me and say, Oh, but there were these reports in 1998 and 1999. The intelligence community did look at information about this.

To the best of my knowledge, Mr. Chairman, this kind of analysis about the use of airplanes as weapons actually was never briefed to us.

I cannot tell you that there might not have been a report here or a report there that reached somebody in our midst.

Part of the problem is _ and I think Sandy Berger made this point when he was asked the same question _ that you have thousands of pieces of information -- car bombs and this method and that method _ and you have to depend to a certain degree on the intelligence agencies to sort to tell you what is actually relevant, what is actually based on sound sources, what is speculative.

RICE: And I can only assume or believe that perhaps the intelligence agencies thought that the sourcing was speculative.

All that I can tell you is that it was not in the August 6th memo, using planes as a weapon. And I do not remember any reports to us, a kind of strategic warning, that planes might be used as weapons. In fact, there were some reports done in '98 and '99. I was certainly not aware of them at the time that I spoke.

KEAN: You didn't see any memos to you or any documents to you?

RICE: No, I did not.

vs.http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/04/10/iraq/main611276.shtml
Quote:
Text Of The August 6, 2001 Memo

WASHINGTON, April 10, 2004

(CBS/AP) The following is the text of a declassified presidential daily intelligence briefing from Aug. 6, 2001. The White House released the memo on Saturday. Portions marked "x" were blacked out before release.

Bin Ladin Determined to Strike in US

Clandestine, foreign government, and media reports indicate Bin Ladin since 1997 has wanted to conduct terrorist attacks in the U.S. Bin Ladin implied in US television interviews in 1997 and 1998 that his followers would follow the example of World Trade Center bomber Ramzi Yousef and "bring the fighting to America."

After US missile strikes on his base in Afghanistan in 1998, Bin Ladin told followers he wanted to retaliate in Washington, according to xxxxxxxxxxx service.

An Egyptian Islamic Jihad (EIJ) operative told an xxxxxxxxxx service at the same time that Bin Ladin was planning to exploit the operative's access to the US to mount a terrorist strike.

The millennium plotting in Canada in 1999 may have been part of Bin Ladin's first serious attempt to implement a terrorist strike in the US. Convicted plotter Ahmed Ressam has told the FBI that he conceived the idea to attack Los Angeles International Airport himself, but that Bin Ladin lieutenant Abu Zubaydah encouraged him and helped facilitate the operation. Ressam also said that in 1998 Abu Zubaydah was planning his own US attack.
Ressam says Bin Ladin was aware of the Los Angeles operation.

Although Bin Ladin has not succeeded, his attacks against the US Embassies in Kenya and Tanzania in 1998 demonstrate that he prepares operations years in advance and is not deterred by setbacks. Bin Ladin associates surveilled our Embassies in Nairobi and Dar es Salaam as early as 1993, and some members of the Nairobi cell planning the bombings were arrested and deported in 1997.

Al-Qa'ida members - including some who are US citizens - have resided in or traveled to the US for years, and the group apparently maintains a support structure that could aid attacks. Two al-Qa'ida members found guilty in the conspiracy to bomb our Embassies in East Africa were US citizens, and a senior EIJ member lived in California in the mid-1990s.

A clandestine source said in 1998 that a Bin Ladin cell in New York was recruiting Muslim-American youth for attacks.

We have not been able to corroborate some of the more sensational threat reporting, such as that from a xxxxxxxxxx service in 1998 saying that Bin Ladin wanted to hijack a US aircraft to gain the release of "Blind Shaykh" 'Umar 'Abd al-Rahman and other US-held extremists.

Nevertheless, FBI information since that time indicates patterns of suspicious activity in this country consistent with preparations for hijackings or other types of attacks, including recent surveillance of federal buildings in New York.

The FBI is conducting approximately 70 full field investigations throughout the US that it considers Bin Ladin-related. CIA and the FBI are investigating a call to our Embassy in UAE in May saying that a group of Bin Ladin supporters was in the US planning attacks with explosives.

The following is the text of a declassified presidential daily intelligence briefing from Aug. 6, 2001. The White House released the memo on Saturday. Portions marked "x" were blacked out before release.

vs. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2001/07/26/national/main303601.shtml
Quote:
(CBS) Fishing rod in hand, Attorney General John Ashcroft left on a weekend trip to Missouri Thursday afternoon aboard a chartered government jet, reports CBS News Correspondent Jim Stewart.

In response to inquiries from CBS News over why Ashcroft was traveling exclusively by leased jet aircraft instead of commercial airlines, the Justice Department cited what it called a "threat assessment" by the FBI, and said Ashcroft has been advised to travel only by private jet for the remainder of his term.

"There was a threat assessment and there are guidelines. He is acting under the guidelines," an FBI spokesman said. Neither the FBI nor the Justice Department, however, would identify what the threat was, when it was detected or who made it.

A senior official at the CIA said he was unaware of specific threats against any Cabinet member, and Ashcroft himself, in a speech in California, seemed unsure of the nature of the threat.

"I don't do threat assessments myself and I rely on those whose responsibility it is in the law enforcement community, particularly the FBI. And I try to stay within the guidelines that they've suggested I should stay within for those purposes," Ashcroft said.

Asked if he knew anything about the threat or who might have made it, the attorney general replied, "Frankly, I don't. That's the answer."

Earlier this week, the Justice Department leased a NASA-owned G-3 Gulfstream for a 6-day trip to Western states. Such aircraft cost the government more than $1,600 an hour to fly. When asked whether Ashcroft was paying for any portion of the trips devoted to personal business, a Justice Department spokeswoman declined to respond.

All other Bush Cabinet appointees, with the exception of Interior and Energy with remote sites to oversee, fly commercial airliners. Janet Reno, Ashcroft's predecessor as attorney general, also routinely flew commercial. The secretaries of State and Defense traditionally travel with extra security on military planes.

The Justice Department insists that it wasn't Ashcroft who wanted to fly leased aircraft. That idea, they said, came strictly from Ashcroft's FBI security detail. The FBI had no further comment.

©MMI, CBS Worldwide Inc. All Rights Reserved
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 08:09 pm
Frankly Princess, in my opinion any assertion that Condi Rice either lied or perjured herself is pure crap, and assertions that she did are made only by biased people who stretch the truth too far to be believable. There is a huge difference in saying something that you believe that later turns out to be incorrect, and lying. If you don't see the difference, I simply don't feel like teaching principles of truth and ethics.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 08:16 pm
whew
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 08:17 pm
Yeah I'm feeling bitchy and it will be all better after a good night's sleep. But I get so damn tired of the nit picking. Surely people can find something significant to complain about.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 08:26 pm
Well, the tap water here in Albaturkey is hard as rocks, let's bitch about that for awhile. (I have to use a curry comb after shampooing my hair.)
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 08:30 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Frankly Princess, in my opinion any assertion that Condi Rice either lied or perjured herself is pure crap, and assertions that she did are made only by biased people who stretch the truth too far to be believable. There is a huge difference in saying something that you believe that later turns out to be incorrect, and lying. If you don't see the difference, I simply don't feel like teaching principles of truth and ethics.

well that's probably just as well, because you're most probably no more the definitive authority on such things than I am...so who would be interested in being taught by you? This works out great!!! Sorry to hear about your hard water problem, but soft water like at the beach is even worse...makes you feel like you washed in baby oil....
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 08:30 pm
LOL you should have moved in east of the River. The water over here isn't exactly soft, but I don't think it's as hard as it is on the west side.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 08:32 pm
"She is a liar and a incompetent, and she has been classed as the worse NSA in recent memory"

According to who...you, d2k?

I think you are a bit put out by this black woman who has acheived so much despite the odds, whereas you, with the benefit of being a white male have...........
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 08:36 pm
Foxfyre wrote:

What about competence? Would you say having information that there was a threat to your nation, and you were the National Security Advisor, make it logical to expect you to be informed and aware of a potential attack? She is either lying, that she was out of the loop (as she claims) or else she dropped the ball. Both seem uncomfortable possibilites. There isn't any other explanation offered for her remarks on the topic, are there? She either she missed or overlooked numerous warnings from intelligence agencies seeking to put caveats on claims about Iraq's nuclear weapons program, or she made public claims that she knew to be false. She either is so bad at her job that she didn't read critical documents concerning national security and a potential war or is she lying to save her job.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 08:37 pm
well, I looked a the east side but all the neighborhoods were solid mayonnaise (northeast heights) I like a little mustard.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 08:37 pm
Larry434 wrote:

I think you are a bit put out by this black woman who has acheived so much despite the odds, whereas you, with the benefit of being a white male have...........

Huh - funny. Just imagine the righteous indignation if any liberal went full frontal race-baiting like Larry's doing here - "you don't like Jesse Jackson? You must be a racist!" Isn't that exactly the kind of purportedly used logic conservatives been ranting against? So how's it suddenly OK to do it now the other way round? Is it a semi-tongue in cheek nyah nyah now-we-can-say-it-to-you-for-a-change revenge thingie, or do you actually believe it and does the irony of that totally passes you by?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 08:43 pm
ah, nimh is a bigoted racist scum-sucking lying bastid liberal, I knew the truth would out. (Prolly a damn foreigner to boot)
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 08:44 pm
nimh wrote:
Larry434 wrote:

Huh - funny. Just imagine the righteous indignation if any liberal went full frontal race-baiting like Larry's doing here - "you don't like Jesse Jackson? You must be a racist!" Isn't that exactly the kind of purportedly used logic conservatives been ranting against? So how's it suddenly OK to do it now the other way round? Is it a semi-tongue in cheek nyah nyah now-we-can-say-it-to-you-for-a-change revenge thingie, or do you actually believe it and does the irony of that totally passes you by?

Nope. Just noting how much more difficult it is for a black woman to acheive as much as Rice has, when a white male unjustifiably critical of her cannot even come close to matching her resume.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 08:48 pm
Larry434 wrote:
Just noting how much more difficult it is for a black woman to acheive as much as Rice has, when a white male unjustifiably critical of her cannot even come close to matching her resume.[/color]

Well, her resume is terrific! I mean, she looks great on paper. It's her ability to function in the jobs she's held that seems to fall a little bit short of the Condoleezza Rice delivered on paper. (I'm trying to remember where I saw an assessment of her job performance from Stanford, where she was graded something along the lines of the equivalent of C-... Shocked)
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 08:48 pm
I see how Nimh could see it as ironic, except for the fact that if you look close, you see the talking heads being interviewed on TV or being quoted in the papers as saying the Candi (and other minority appointees) 'isn't up to the job' while they are most likely to say that white nominees are 'unqualified'. I do see racial overtones in that however unintended they may be.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 08:51 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
I see how Nimh could see it as ironic, except for the fact that if you look close, you see the talking heads being interviewed on TV or being quoted in the papers as saying the Candi (and other minority appointees) 'isn't up to the job' while they are most likely to say that white nominees are 'unqualified'. I do see racial overtones in that however unintended they may be.

Do you understand the definition of "racial," Foxy???

You'll have to spell out for us ignoramouses in the middle of the Pacific how "isn't up to the job" isn't the same as "unqualified," and how either could be constued to have any sort of racial connotation to it! Shocked
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 08:54 pm
Yup. I do PP. When you infer that very qualified and credentialed minorities 'aren't up to the job' when white people are simply 'unqualfied', that's racist.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 08:56 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Yup. I do PP. When you infer that very qualified and credentialed minorities 'aren't up to the job' when white people are simply 'unqualfied', that's racist.

How?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 09:00 pm
Well, what Fox signals does happen - with men/women, with whites/blacks - for example, a man who burns out is described as having, well, burnt out, while with a woman you'll suddenly see remarks of how, you know, "the top managerial job turned out to be too much for her" or something of the like. Subtle but "meaningful" word choices like that do indeed occur and can signal subliminal messages about race, gender etc.

Of course, conservatives usually tend to laugh in my face when I assert such a thing, but if in this case Condoleezza Rice turns out to be the victim of it, I'm glad that they'll suddenly discern it too (though I'm sad to see it happening, of course, if it is indeed happening).
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 09:10 pm
nimh wrote:
Well, what Fox signals does happen - with men/women, with whites/blacks - for example, a man who burns out is described as having, well, burnt out, while with a woman you'll suddenly see remarks of how, you know, "the top managerial job turned out to be too much for her" or something of the like. Subtle but "meaningful" word choices like that do indeed occur and can signal subliminal messages about race, gender etc.

Of course, conservatives usually tend to laugh in my face when I assert such a thing, but if in this case Condoleezza Rice turns out to be the victim of it, I'm glad that they'll suddenly discern it too (though I'm sad to see it happening, of course, if it is indeed happening).

The example you gave would be sexist, not racist, if indeed it does imply a double standard. I still don't think I see it, but I live a bit out of the mainland loop, and the difference in semantics doesn't seem to place one in a lesser position than the other, from my understanding of the meaning. Confused
0 Replies