Blacks and women celebrate Condi Rice.

Lash

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 02:47 pm
princesspupule wrote:
Lash wrote:

This is succintly what I have been trying to say:
(From OpinionJournal)

We got an insight into contemporary liberal attitudes toward race on a taxi ride not long ago. We were en route to Shea Stadium along with fellow conservative commentator Joel Mowbray, and our driver was a youngish Haitian woman who had her radio tuned to Air America. Mowbray started a political discussion with her, and she told him that she doesn't like Republicans because "they hate black people."

"Does President Bush hate Condi Rice and Colin Powell?" Mowbray asked, to which she replied that Rice and Powell aren't "really black" because they "don't think like black people."

The idea that black people are supposed to think in a certain way is, of course, a racist assumption in itself. But what's most interesting about this exchange is that our driver had in effect redefined race so that it has nothing to do with race. When she said, "They hate black people," she meant merely, "They disagree with liberal ideology."

The charge of racism carries a certain sting because America has a long history of real racism. But the progress the country has made on race, especially over the past 40 years, has been nothing short of stunning. Here we have a president whose detractors describe him as a "radical conservative" appointing a black woman to replace a black man as the most senior member of his cabinet.

Even the liberals who attack Rice on racial grounds don't have anything against black people in positions of power per se. They're just desperately upset because those on their side of the political fence no longer have a monopoly on the belief in racial equality. They're lashing out in an ugly way because they've lost the moral high ground.

It's good for the country that no one occupies that high ground anymore--or, more precisely, that virtually everyone does. Secretary of State Rice will stand as an example of the greatness of America, a country where, after much struggle, people are judged not on the color of their skin but on the content of their character. We're confident that one day even liberals will appreciate this.

At least I've heard of "Air America," unlike "Sly in the AM," Rolling Eyes one "youngish haitian woman"s opinions sum up all liberals opinions because why? Mobray is conservative, you are aware Mobray is conservative, according to the source you are citing, right, you are aware of that??? Rolling Eyes I still haven't seen you guys link any source where a liberal media source has discounted Rice because of the color of her skin or admired her achievement because of the color of her skin. It only becomes about race when you put race into it, and the liberals haven't done that, not any place *I* have seen, but then again, perhaps *I* am out of the loop, living about as far south and west as one can and still be in one of the United States of America. Find a legitimate cite that makes your point, and we can have at it, Lash. Until then, you are only blowing bubbles, even though I know you think you are debating. Laughing

(edited to add: I just reread this and realized that Mobray was in the cab, not speaking on the radio, however, what he got from questioning a young immigrant, and how his compatriot in the cab was able to infer that one immigrant's personal opinions sum up those of all liberals is beyond my comprehension, unless s/he was jumping to a heckuvalotta conclusions based on not especially hot air... Rolling Eyes )

The Haitian woman has been brainwashed to believe that Republicans hate black people. There are plenty of blacks who believe the same thing. They don't consider black Republicans to be black--as she said--which is the primary reason the black community took so long to disagree with the racial slurs which have been hurled at Clarence Thomas, Rice and Powell. As I have said--if any liberal black had been treated to this racially-oriented attack--it would be headlining the news.

What point you are trying to make with your post, I can't decipher. So what if Mowbrys a conservative? I have heard statements like this plenty of times from blacks. Do you deny it?

For clarification, I don't think all of PDiddie's pictures are racially offensive. But a couple of them are, without a doubt.

And, my comments about this behavior being far reaching through Democrats is based on the call ins on radio shows and perpetrating the insults on the web by people identifying themselves as Democrats--in addition to the notable silence of the libral media and all but one memebr of the Democrat party.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 03:11 pm
nimh wrote:
Larry434 wrote:
According to who...you, d2k?

I think you are a bit put out by this black woman who has acheived so much despite the odds, whereas you, with the benefit of being a white male have...........

Huh - funny. Just imagine the righteous indignation if any liberal went full frontal race-baiting like Larry's doing here - "you don't like Jesse Jackson? You must be a racist!" Isn't that exactly the kind of purportedly used logic conservatives been ranting against? So how's it suddenly OK to do it now the other way round? Is it a semi-tongue in cheek nyah nyah now-we-can-say-it-to-you-for-a-change revenge thingie, or do you actually believe it and does the irony of that totally passes you by?

Had we ever seen Jesse Jackson portrayed as Little Black Sambo, you would have a point.

The point is you haven't--and you never will.

Your post above, IMHO, makes excuses for the racial slurs being directed at Condi Rice. It was never about liking her. Being publicly hated or put down due to personality deficits, or for how she does her job is universal--and not racial in the least. The indignation is directed at demeaning her using her race--as if it is a negative in and of itself.

It is surreal to be having this conversation. I'm having a very hard time letting it soak in that you don't agree.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 03:19 pm
That reminds me, I wish to declare an objection. I grew up with Little Black Sambo. I loved the character. He was brave, resourceful, and successful. And somewhere along the way, some P.C. nut or nuts decided he couldn't be black. So now he's just "Sambo" as if there was something wrong with him being black.

Does anybody else see that reasoning to be as dumb as I see it?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 03:20 pm
What they said.
-----------------
(CNSNews.com) - A coalition of black clergy Friday denounced recent "racial motivated attacks" by three editorial cartoonists, the Washington Post and the New York Times upon National Security Adviser Dr. Condoleezza Rice, who was recently nominated by President Bush to serve as the next secretary of state.

The Faith Based Leadership Council, a group of over 200 black clergy and members of the faith-based community, said cartoonists Jeff Danzinger, Pat Oliphant, Garry Trudeau, the Post and the Times have used racial stereotypes "to conduct their personal character assassination of" Rice's integrity because she chose to serve the Bush administration.

"These cartoonists believe that the liberal views of the Washington Post and New York Times somehow provides cover for them to engage in racist attacks upon Dr. Rice and other minority in the Bush Administration," said Oliver N.E. Kellman, Jr., executive director of the FBLC, in a statement.

"Mr. Danzinger's, Mr. Oliphant's and Mr. Trudeau's racist depictions of Dr. Rice are of the most twisted Ku Kluz Klan/Skinhead Mindset. I am astonished that the NAACP, Rainbow-Push and other traditional civil rights groups did not denounce this type of trash from the very first day it was reported," Kellman said in a statement.

"Instead, they are silent witnesses to this racially motivated character assassination because of Dr. Rice's politics," he added. "The FBIC believes in the advancement of all Americans, no matter their political affiliation, gender or ethnic background.

"Dr. Rice has been singled out for persecution by a handful of bigoted liberals who have characterized her as a steppin and fetchin sambo," said Kellman, adding that he believes "they feel threatened and disturbed by the fact that Dr. Rice will soon be the most powerful Black woman in the United States as Secretary of State."

The FBLC is calling on the cartoonists and both papers to publicly apologize to Rice. "White liberals in the media have come to feel that they can openly attack any Black conservative that chooses to serve the nation," the group said.

The group is also urging the Justice Department to conduct a full investigation into these incidents and whether the civil rights of Rice and outgoing Secretary of State Colin Powell were violated "by the promotion of racial bigotry towards persons of color serving their nation."

Meanwhile, John "Sly" Sylvester, a white radio talk show host in Madison, Wisc., Friday defended comments he made calling Rice an "Aunt Jemima," saying he did it to indicate her subservient role in the Bush administration.

Sylvester said the Bush administration is using Rice for the "illusion of inclusion," and he expressed the opinion that Rice isn't up to the job of secretary of state, wire reports said.

According to the Associated Press, Sylvester said he will "apologize to Aunt Jemima" on Friday's show by giving away pancake mix and syrup. The Madison branch of the NAACP had no immediate comment on Sylvester's remarks.

"To hear the leftists tell it, conservative blacks have become the new 'trash class' of American society," said Michael King, a member of Project 21, a black conservative group. King condemned the cartoonists' depictions of Rice as well as Sylvester's comments about Rice and Powell.

"And with the continued cricket-filled silence from the professional civil rights crowd, the Jesse Jacksons and Al Sharptons give tacit permission and acceptance of such language and tactics," King said.

"The recent racist attacks and mimicry of Condoleezza Rice are infuriating and despicable. Even more insufferable is the deafening silence of the elite liberals," Project 21 member Mychal Massie.

"I believe their silence is proof positive of their personal racist attitudes. Obviously condemning racist attacks against a man and woman who are conservative and black is not a worthy undertaking for them," Massie said.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 03:23 pm
Because Little Black Sambo is a depiction of a stupid little, wide-eyed black child. When he was "born", it was cute and acceptable to portray blacks as brainless idiots.

It isn't any longer.

My opinion, anyway. Wonder what black people think of LBS.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 03:44 pm
I am definitely not trying to start something here, but what kind of political cartooning would be appropriate?

Clearly, the political cartoonists are going to take on Ms. Rice, and she is a black American woman. What kind of imagery would be acceptable? I mean, they can't just post a picture of her and say she's stupid.

Political cartooning is harsh by nature. I collect the stuff (as finances allow), and some of the stuff from Punch etc from the 18th and 19th c. is really brutal. I can appreciate that there are racist connotations to some of the stuff re Ms. Rice that I'm simply not going to 'get', as it seems to have meaning to Americans that it doesn't have to others - but what is going to be 'safe' - and still get the political digs in.

<back to edit a huge Freudian slip>
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 05:00 pm
Lash wrote:
nimh wrote:
Larry434 wrote:
According to who...you, d2k?

I think you are a bit put out by this black woman who has acheived so much despite the odds, whereas you, with the benefit of being a white male have...........

Huh - funny. Just imagine the righteous indignation if any liberal went full frontal race-baiting like Larry's doing here - "you don't like Jesse Jackson? You must be a racist!" Isn't that exactly the kind of purportedly used logic conservatives been ranting against? So how's it suddenly OK to do it now the other way round? Is it a semi-tongue in cheek nyah nyah now-we-can-say-it-to-you-for-a-change revenge thingie, or do you actually believe it and does the irony of that totally passes you by?

Your post above, IMHO, makes excuses for the racial slurs being directed at Condi Rice.

No it doesn't. In the least. Look at it again. Specifically, look at what it replied to. Larry didn't say: well, if you liked this cartoon, you must be a racist. Larry didn't, in fact, say anything about the cartoon stuff. Or about any racial slur. In this post, Larry replied to dare2know, who, you must realise, had been so outrageous as to write:
"[Rice]is a liar and a incompetent, and she has been classed as the worse NSA in recent memory. People do not dislike her because her race or gender, it is her politics, she is a lying lapdog and bobblehead for bush"

Larry's response to that was what you just quoted above. In short: if you don't like Rice getting up so high, it must be because you, white man, hate seeing a black woman rise so high.

Now imagine a Democrat telling a conservative that, back when Jesse Jackson was rising up and the conservative in question opined that Jackson was a dangerous idiot. The Dem telling the conservative that, if he didn't like Jesse's emergence, he must be hating it because of him being black.

Would you object? Would you call it despicable racebaiting?

If so, you must know exactly what I felt when I read Larry's post. Racebaiting it was. Only I also felt an additional flabbergastion over the absurdity of right-wingers adopting an argument that entailed the worst of the political correctness they so malign.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 05:21 pm
It isn't race baiting at all to refer to Condi with any adjective that one would apply to a normal white male. She should have no protections not available to a normal white male. But when different uncomplimentary adjectives are applied to minority appointees than are applied to normal white male appointees, I see that as racist however subtle.

And Lash, I must object. Sambo was not protrayed as a stupid wide eyed black kid. He was smart and solved a serious problem. He was practically a role model. That was the way he was portrayed to me when I was little and the book was read to me anyway.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 05:25 pm
Lash wrote:
Because Little Black Sambo is a depiction of a stupid little, wide-eyed black child. When he was "born", it was cute and acceptable to portray blacks as brainless idiots.

It isn't any longer.

My opinion, anyway. Wonder what black people think of LBS.

Have you ever read the original LBS? It doesn't portray him as stupid or wide-eyed or brainless or an idiot. In fact, it was quite complimentary to the young kid and described a fine mentality, albeit, one who enjoyed nice clothes. The problem lay in other things... for one, there was a huge mixup between India (where tigers live) and blacks of Africa.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 05:46 pm
Well okay. I'll concede that it wasn't good geography Smile
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 05:54 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
It isn't race baiting at all to refer to Condi with any adjective that one would apply to a normal white male.

No, it isn't. How so? It is, however, racebaiting to say as Larry did, that when someone doesnt like Condi, it must just be because she's black and he can't stand it that a black woman has such success.

Foxfyre wrote:
when different uncomplimentary adjectives are applied to minority appointees than are applied to normal white male appointees, I see that as racist however subtle.

And I agree ... as I did the first time you said it (in what was my second post in this thread).

Foxfyre wrote:
And Lash, I must object. Sambo was not protrayed as a stupid wide eyed black kid. He was smart and solved a serious problem. He was practically a role model.

And I, on the other hand, totally agree with Lash on the Sambo thing. But then I'm one of those politically correct liberals ...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 05:55 pm
Aha, Fox, you were read the same book I have --

Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 06:46 pm
You two (Fox and Piff) must have a different version in mind of LBS than I do. I didn't read any LBS books, but I saw many movie shorts depicting a "stereotypical" white-wide-lipped, wide-eyed Sambo ,who seemed concocted for the purpose of denigrating black people. Should have known Fox wouldn't have yearned for the return of that.

I must hold a symposium on the difference between PC, unPC and racism.... When we're all up to it--I'd be interested to see how people categorize these things.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 07:29 pm
Lash wrote:
It was never about liking her. Being publicly hated or put down due to personality deficits, or for how she does her job is universal--and not racial in the least. The indignation is directed at demeaning her using her race--as if it is a negative in and of itself.

But you are reversing your own position here, Lash. Remember the start of this thread? Read back your first post here. The one we responded to.

See? What you were bemoaning back then was not that Rice was the victim of racial slurs - that whole issue didn't even come up yet. Instead, your argument was one of a different scale. You lamented a "New Racism" not because of any racial slurs (none of which you mentioned until a cursory mention of "Aunt Jemima" (which I didn't understand) on page 4, some dozen Lash posts later).

Instead, it sufficed that Rice, "such an effective, strong, woman", had "garnered no more support, no accolades from women and blacks". That was your evidence of a "New Racism". That there was "a distinct discrimination among women and blacks in whom they will ballyhoo"; that "if any other woman in this country had soared to the heights Condi has reached, it would be Mardi Gras 24/7", but now, it wasn't. That Clarence Thomas does not "have statues and streets named after him already", just because he's not liberal. (Don't quite get that last one - is it only liberals who name streets? Are there no conservative town administrations? Anyway.)

In short, your initial premise was that the evidence of "racism" laid in the fact that these black conservatives were not lauded or celebrated. Not that "the achievements of women and blacks who are conservative" were dirtied by racial insult, but merely that they are "ignored". You said as much, several times:

"My beef is that these two groups [women and blacks] are always inviting members of their demographic, who have been successful in the public arena to speak at their events --and throw them events--issue awards and such." That didn't happen with Rice, ergo, "the silence is quite noticable and distasteful", ergo ... it's because of "blatant racism", an accusation you threw out a couple of posts later, still before ever referring once to any alleged racial slur - on the basis only of the lack of positive reinforcement for Rice and Thomas.

In that, there is tremendous irony. A strident fighter against political correctness like you, demanding that persons whose views and actions are hateful to us, be appplauded and cheered on by us anyway, simply because of their colour - and if we don't, we must be racist. If we don't "celebrate" - your word! - these persons whose politics are hateful to us, it must simply mean that we don't "much cotton to "uppity" blacks", in the words of Larry that you so enthusiastically welcomed ("you said it better than I could"). It must be because we wanna "keep 'em in their place".

And you wonder why people got defensive or sarcastic at you?

The whole proposition was simply bankrupt. If we don't cheer at the prospect of Rice's appointment, it's because we think she's no good. That simple. And that was the gist of my subsequent responses.

I did, however, in fact add that I personally would applaud Rice at least for her personal accomplishments - for how far she had made it, as a black woman. See, I am politically correct when it comes to things like positive reinforcement of discriminated groups. When you argue that just that "they are BLACK. They are SUCCESSFUL", thats reason enough for holding them up as a role model, I actually agree. In as far as their actual politics are not concerned, I mean. As I explicited, in fact, in my third post:

nimh wrote:
I think Rice and Powell could (and probably should) be held up as role models in terms of personal achievement, at least - thats whats done with other blacks who made it big, after all. So up to that point I agree with Lash.

That left, however, the question of why American liberals, in this post-election low, would not do so. Note again - I looked it up - we're at page 9 by then and the whole focus of the discussion was still exclusively on why liberals won't "celebrate" Rice for her achievement. Nothing about racial slurs yet whatsoever, apart from the one aside Aunt Jemima reference that I didn't get. There was the one slight inference by Fox about subtle word choice differences ("When you infer that very qualified and credentialed minorities 'aren't up to the job' when white people are simply 'unqualfied', that's racist."), which I promptly applauded in what had been my second reply:

Quote:
Well, what Fox signals does happen - with men/women, with whites/blacks [..] Subtle but "meaningful" word choices like that do indeed occur and can signal subliminal messages about race, gender etc.

Of course, conservatives usually tend to laugh in my face when I assert such a thing, but if in this case Condoleezza Rice turns out to be the victim of it, I'm glad that they'll suddenly discern it too (though I'm sad to see it happening, of course, if it is indeed happening).

But was it happening? All that you, Lash, had proposed as evidence so far had been that Rice (or Thomas) did not get the positive reinforcement one would expect from black groups. All that you had brought was that progressive people "censure and ostracize [blacks and women] when they don't fall in line" - i.e. when they're not liberals. Never mind that the same progressive people will also censure and ostracize white male conservatives - just look at how Rumsfeld or Cheney is described, or Bush himself for that matter. But no, if they censure black conservatives like that, then they must be "racists". Huh?

What you would need here to prove your point is that Rice was attacked in a way that Rumsfeld or Cheney never was. You had done nothing of the sort. Just the complaint of lack of positive reinforcement (accolading and ballyhooing).

And that's where my Jesse Jackson reference came in. It was in response to the only argument you had made thus far, namely that liberals/Democrats/NOW/NAACP should "celebrate" Rice - or expose their "blatant racism" if they did not.

nimh wrote:
I think the reason [they do not] is obviously enough one of political distaste, though, and I dont see how it needs to be a question of racism, instead. I mean, be honest: did conservative organisations praise Jesse Jackson as a role model of at least personal achievement, even if accompanied with the sidenote that they thought his ideas were all wrong? No, of course they didn't. Jesse Jackson reprsented politics they found so despicable that most of them could not find themselves able of even praising him or holding him up for his personal achievements (being the first black politician to run an influential presidential primary campaign, etc).

The political polarisation has gone far enough to make it unpalatable for either side to acknowledge even just an accomplishment in terms of ambition or willpower of folks from the other side, outshadowed as any of that is felt to be by the evil their politics are seen to be.

At this point in time, most liberals in the US would probably rather bite their tongue off than say something nice about any prominent Bush Cabinet member, on whatever count. Call it bitterness, but racism? I just dont see it

Here, alas, is where your circular argument went amock. In your world, if Dems didn't "celebrate" Rice, it must have been because of her race. And thus, if I argue that it could be something else - say, that she's a hated Republican - then I become someone who "encourages racism". What baloney.

But, on it went for another page or two. I kept writing that I respected Rice's personal accomplishments but thought she was a bad politician and that, considering most blacks (and of course liberals) think so too, I wouldnt expect anyone cheering in the street about her appointment. Meanwhile Lash proceeded to assert that "The liberal papers are spewing this insuling tripe about" Rice & co. (even though someone just referred to the complimentary elements in the NYT and WaPo appraisals of her appointment) and that the Uncle Tom slurs were "all over the web", not to mention on talk radio. None was linked, none was quoted, none was named, but still the talk of how racist "the Dems" are proliferated on.

Hey, I dunno, I dont listen to talk radio, wouldnt be able to if I'd wanted to. But to keep on accusing "the liberals" of racism without ever providing one example sure puts up my gander. But, no fear - here Lash was - she'd found a local, libertarian radio host who had called Rice an Aunt Jemima. The guy was immediately rebuffed stridently by both the Wisconsin liberal senator and the progressive Madison mayor - both quoted in the very article she brought here, in fact - but no matter, Lash had her proof, and the double rejection didn't stop her from subsequently insisting that "[Feingold] is the only Democrat I've heard so far who has spoken up about it."
Facts dont matter anymore. The NYT, WaPo, Democratic Senators, mayors - all are irrelevant when it comes to characterising what "the Democrats" or "the liberals" are like - after all, Lash has heard about a liberTARIAN talk show host making an Uncle Tom reference and heard "hundreds" of Democrats "snickering [..] on the airwaves". What more evidence would we possibly need? If in face of such an overwhelming argument any of us is as bold to still point out the discrepancy in it, well, then the case becomes as clear as crystal: nimh and dlowan "embolden and service racism by keeping silent in the face of this crap".

I'm so tired of this ****. Of "the entrenched enmity and tendency to no longer see the "enemy" as anything but a sort of humungous, undifferentiated, mob - defined by the worst public utterances of its most extreme fringes" (thanks dlowan). Yuck.

But, whatever. No thanks to Lash, but thanks to PDiddie and his malicious cartoons, I now finally know what the **** Lash was talking about. And yeah, sure, whatever, some of those Internet gags are clearly racist. I dont think the Doonesbury one was (see above). But at least two of PDiddie's were. And I condemn them. 'K? Now, how exactly do they prove that "the Democrats" are racist - even just, like, on average, or typically?

Lash wrote:
It is surreal to be having this conversation. I'm having a very hard time letting it soak in that you don't agree.

Perhaps you need to get straight first what I'm not agreeing with. That helps, usually.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 08:04 pm
Nimy writes
Quote:
But, whatever. No thanks to Lash, but thanks to PDiddie and his malicious cartoons, I now finally know what the **** Lash was talking about. And yeah, sure, whatever, some of those Internet gags are clearly racist. And I condemn it. 'K? Now, how exactly do PDiddie's cartoons prove that "the Democrats" are racist - even just, like, on avarage?

It is possibly partly perception, I'm sure, but it also is partly from long experience. Jimmy the Greek was forced out of sports and into oblivion when he was asked why professional sports are weighted so heavily with black people. He explained, in non racist terms, that it was due to them descending from slaves who had been bred by their masters to produce big, strong offspring who would also of course be slaves. Nobody cared whether this was true. It was deemed too outrageously politically incorrect to be saud and the NAACP and others demanded Jimmy's head on a platter. And he was gone.

Marge Shott was the successful owner of a professional basketball team. When a private conversation was overheard in which she affectionately referred to her 'million dollar niggers', there were screams of outrage. The NAACP and others demanded her head on a platter. She was forced to sell her team and she faded into oblivion.

When Trent Lott imprudently praised an elderly senator saying something about he should have won a presidential election , it was deemed a racist remark as the senator was running on a segregationist ticket at the time. Never mind that practically the entire Congress were supportive of segregation at that time, the NAACP and others demanded Lott's head on a platter and he was forced to step down as Senate Majority Leader.

So where are the irate voices now demanding that heads roll, that restitution be paid for the shabby treatment of Condoleeza Rice? A few have spoken up, but they waited so long one doubts they are sincere. And nobody is demanding that heads roll or restitution be paid. Mostly the silence is deafening or the offenders are excused and/or defended or "it isn't so bad". Certainly it isn't bad enough that anyone needs to be punished.

There's lots more but this is enough for illustration.

It seems obvious that only liberals and/or Democrats are to be defended against any manner of slurs or mistreatment or racism. For most, it is okay or unimportant if slurs or mistreatment or racism is directed toward a conservative and/or Republican. At the very least no censure is in order. So it is by their silent consent that the appearance of racism exists. It is not all Democrats of course. I don't consider Sozobe or Nimh to be racist at all. But overall, there is an undercurrent that appears to exist.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 08:23 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
So where are the irate voices now demanding that heads roll, that restitution be paid for the shabby treatment of Condoleeza Rice? A few have spoken up, but they waited so long one doubts they are sincere. And nobody is demanding that heads roll or restitution be paid.

Whose heads would have to roll? Who are the offenders? The single person that was actually named/linked/quoted by either of you here was a libertarian talk radio host, who was immediately (not only after some suspicious time) condemned by both Senator and Mayor, the Senator joining "all Wisconsinites in rejecting" the guy's remarks. Thats pretty heavy-handed already for just a talk radio host, I'd say. Who else? What are you talking about, exactly? PDiddie posted some offensive webtoons, I dont know where they were from, I'm suspecting some bloggers' handiwork among it. Who do you want to do what against that?

Foxfyre wrote:
It is not all Democrats of course. [..] But overall, there is an undercurrent that appears to exist.

Perhaps you're right. I wouldn't be entirely surprised, there's a lot of deeply ingrained, instinctual racism in our societies. But - no offence - you two've done a pretty dismal job in demonstrating it here. A lot of generalising group slurs against "the Democrats", and hardly any actual examples to substantiate them.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 08:25 pm
And if I sound angry (not at you, Fox), its because I damn well am. I dont take personally being accused of such stuff lightly. Its pretty much as close to my core self as you can get. So I'm sorry if I'm sounding just a tad aggravated.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 08:26 pm
nimh--

You must grow weary of a world populated with people so less articulate and accurately descriptive as you. We is legion.

My description of racism-- Treating someone differently because of their race.

I realize its a pretty big net, and I've caught myself in it more than a few times. I don't think any of us can honestly say we haven't been guilty of this a few times--but I feel pretty comfortable in saying I think most people here haven't practiced the kind of racism that seeks to inflict pain or injustice on another person.

That said-- I've heard a lot of interviews and articles recently that all congealed together and made me realize there is a new current running through our society--and it needs to be brought into the open. New Racism and Feminist Sexism.

----------The US is so deeply polarized that blacks (moreso) and women are completely expected to vote Democrat. This is so entrenched that blacks are ostracized from their community if they admit to being Republican. This I know from experience--as well as media. It is a fact.

This expectation is racist. Blacks turning on other blacks due to them not sharing the "community's" political ideology is a form of racism. The Gay community does it, too, to a lesser degree from what I've read. I'll bring an article, if I can find one, from Tammy Bruce--a gay woman I caught on C-SPAN a couple of weeks ago. She talked about it, as well.

If I look back far enough I can find a couple of posts here by liberals who say the same thing-- "No self-respecting black person would vote Republican." If they just said that--and left it at that--who would care? But they don't. Action is taken against blacks who identify as Republicans. Its high intimidation. Its wrong.

<Must say re your comment that I wonder why people became defensive or sarcastic---I never complained about that, nor did I wonder. I know when one is outspoken and direct--it often elicits the type of responses you describe. I didn't take anything personally--just took the issue seriously>

Did you read the article re the Haitian woman, who said Rice, Powell, Thomas aren't really black? Can you imagine how you'd feel if you were in their position? That you are robbed of your ethnic identity if you don't fall in line with the prevailing political ideology of the overwhelming percentage of your race?

Its still not about liking her/them. The lack of positive attention toward Rice, Thomas... isn't the problem I was pointing out--it is just a symptom. And, as I was trying to explain it--I saw Rice the subject of the worst racially-oriented attack I've ever seen.

You do have a point about the hypocracy of my unPC stance and my feeling that the NAACP should honor Rice's acheivements. Normally, I wouldn't say or think such a thing (blacks should acknowledge blacks)--but I was speaking from the viewpoint of the way the world is, not the way I think it should be. Currently, in this era, notable blacks are lauded for achievement by the black community. As I said, the blacks will give an award to anyone who has made money on a basketball court, or rappers... They get a plaque and are deemed Role Models... To have one of the most powerful women in the world standing around and being ignored by them is an affront.

But, you are peeved that I have only told you what I've heard--and haven't brought links to substantiate my opinion.

Too bad they haven't done a poll. But, I'll see if I can back up what I've heard with a link.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 08:42 pm
The New Thought Police
Inside the Left's Assault on Free Speech and Free Minds

by Tammy Bruce

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our freedom to speak our minds is under attack. Like the Thought Police of George Orwell's 1984, powerful special interest groups on the Left are mounting a withering assault on our rights in the name of "social equality." Liberty has been turned on its ear as the rights of the few restrict the freedom of everyone. From rigid speech codes on college campuses to the knee-jerk use of such labels as "racist," "sexist," and "homophobe" in an attempt to socially ostracize people with opposing viewpoints, speaking one's mind today has become increasingly dangerous.
Until now.

In The New Thought Police, author Tammy Bruce, a self-described lesbian feminist activist, cuts through the deluge of politically correct speech and thought codes to expose the dangerous rise of left-wing McCarthyism. After spending several years as a prominent civil-rights activist and in leadership positions at NOW--an organization she currently decries as a foot soldier in the war against free speech--Ms. Bruce has experienced first-hand the campaigns from the Left against our fundamental freedom of expression. Threats to silence radio and television hosts, book and newspaper burnings, expulsions of students for utterances offensive to select groups--all are common practices in a long line of attacks on people whose opinions do not conform with the agendas championed by national feminist, racial, and gay organizations. Ms. Bruce leaves no sacred cow of the Left untouched, and you'll be surprised to find how what you see, hear, say, and think has been influenced by the bullies on the Left.

Provocative and persuasive, The New Thought Police is a clarion call to anyone interested in preserving liberty.
========================================
Excerpt

From Chapter One of The New Thought Police

My years as a feminist activist taught me many things, including the fact that the essential ingredients in the milieu of social change--freedom of expression and personal liberty--have suffered extraordinary damage in the name of "social equality" or "feminism" or "civil rights." Agendas cloaked in these respected labels of have turned people away from the heart of these ideals and, in some cases, actually reversed social progress for everyone, including women, people of color, and others who have an investment in the quality of life.

There is enormous irony in the fact that it is those on the left--the supposed protectors of all things culturally important--who are exacting severe social punishments on anyone who espouses an idea or opinion that challenges that status quo or may be deemed "offensive" to some special interest group.

There is, however, a method to the madness of those who have chosen to protect us from ourselves.

You see, there is nothing in the theory of feminism or civil rights that requires people to stop thinking their own thoughts. On the contrary, civil rights are reliant on individual freedom. The spiral down and away from individual liberty can be traced directly to the rejection of the rights of one for the rights of the many. This group-rights mentality is nothing new; it is steeped in the "progressive" concept that the individual must submit to what is best for everyone else. This idea stems not from the ideal of civil rights but from the well of socialism, the foundational model of the far Left. Once we accept group theory, it not only becomes easier to reject individual rights (like freedom of expression) but actually becomes essential that we do so.
=============================================

Damn. This is exactly what I have been talking about.

Going to get the book. Would like to challenge others to do the same.

The New Thought Police.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 09:05 pm
Hi.

<waves and nods in acknowledgement of gracious and patient response>

Lash wrote:
Liberty has been turned on its ear as the rights of the few restrict the freedom of everyone. From rigid speech codes on college campuses to the knee-jerk use of such labels as "racist," "sexist," and "homophobe" [..] speaking one's mind today has become increasingly dangerous.

[..] the campaigns from the Left against our fundamental freedom of expression. Threats to silence radio and television hosts, book and newspaper burnings, expulsions of students for utterances offensive to select groups--all are common practices in a long line of attacks

But this is the traditional rightwing attack on political correctness. Under the guise of censoring stuff that they consider "racist" or "sexist", the leftists are silencing radio hosts and banning books and columnists - thats basically the argument. Books and columnists and cartoonists?

Because thats where the weird role reversal comes in, in this thread. For now it is you who is decrying how this or that political cartoon or radio host remark is "racist", and insisting that said "fundamental freedom of expression" should be tempered in such cases, or condemned instantly and massively in any case. Now it is Fox who is demanding heads to roll over the alleged racist tinge of caricature A or radio host put-down B. Aren't you now in their role? The role of the people who use the accusation of racism or sexism to "silence radio hosts"?

I know one thing - a libertarian would condemn my politically correct condemnation of Theo van Gogh calling Muslims goatf*ckers as well as your indignation about what these people be saying about Rice.

Well, I guess that puts us on the same side. But I'm still intrigued how the two of you are going to square the circle - of on the one hand lambasting politically correct attempts at silencing the, eg, radio hosts over allegations of racism and sexism, while at the same time demanding that, eg, radio hosts have their heads roll over how they're racist or sexist in this case. Partisan fervour seems to be trumping consistency here.
0 Replies