Fox News channel heading to Canada

dlowan

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 12:09 am
Lola wrote:
Now that you mention it, I want CBC in this country. Let's start a campaign. What a good idea. We need input for other countries and a good place to start would be with our closest neighbors. I'm sure the Canadians would love the additional income.

Good idea - I liked what I saw of CBC in Canada.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 02:39 am
dtom

I worked in the industry for a time. The Canadian government got American film production to move up here through offering attractive tax breaks. The lower costs (staff, locations, and our dollar) added to the potential savings.

I don't think one needs to posit a a quid pro quo deal between Canadian/American officials to further American media penetration however. I think that's better seen as an aspect of NAFTA and related trade agreements.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 09:06 pm
blatham wrote:
dtom

I worked in the industry for a time. The Canadian government got American film production to move up here through offering attractive tax breaks. The lower costs (staff, locations, and our dollar) added to the potential savings.

I don't think one needs to posit a a quid pro quo deal between Canadian/American officials to further American media penetration however. I think that's better seen as an aspect of NAFTA and related trade agreements.

probably right. i had a friend that was in television for a gazillion years. one day he kind of ran down the whole wierd world of television and placements for me. it's really intricate the way deals are structured and in some cases you're basucally paying to get the show on the air.

most of my clients were film productions and studios, a very different scene (which i like a whole lot better, i tell ya! ). just as crazy, but in a different way.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 06:39 am
What I saw was nuts in a million ways. And cool in a million ways too. I removed myself from the industry because the time demands weren't compatible with raising a daughter, but it wasn't a terrifically tough decision as I took offense to how many dollars were going towards absolute crap.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 11:47 am
blatham wrote:
This is an amazing thread! I'd love to see nimh, walter, mctag, dlowan, thomas, steve and the others from outside the US comment on the posts here.

Whaddya do with folks like fox and jw?

On the one hand, there are the many folks who read press and commentary, daily in most cases, from diverse sources spread all over the world, including from the US.

On the other hand, fox and jw and select company who don't. Unless linked from townhall, of course.

And this second group actually does think they have the objective and balanced viewpoint!?!

And in North Korea, the folks there, only slightly more isolated than our friends here, believe that the whole world loves and admires The Great Leader.

Smug much? What should be done with you? You read a few articles and think you have the right to denegrate the opinions of others? As JW said, you don't have a clue as to what is read by whom.

You also speak as if you don't dismiss any conservative viewpoints you hear as quickly as you hear them. Feel free to correct me, but I don't recall you posting a wide array of the diversity of opinions and views you claim to hold most dear. Based upon my recollection of the content of most of your postings, it appears you only read/watch liberal mags, rags, and tv programming. Shall I be so bold as to conclude you to be an unenlighted, one-dimensional, subjective, and out-of-balance poster for that reason?

Perhaps it's time to reign in the superior attitude a bit before I'm forced to retch.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 12:21 pm
blatham wrote:
What I saw was nuts in a million ways. And cool in a million ways too.

true. neurotics are thick as fleas on a hound. i still really love the actual creative process of post production. and most of the editors i dealt with are pretty cool.

blatham wrote:
I removed myself from the industry because the time demands weren't compatible with raising a daughter, but it wasn't a terrifically tough decision as I took offense to how many dollars were going towards absolute crap.

being a capricorn, i worked stupid 24/7 for years. and even though i had a moment of "wtf" when i realized i was on the cell phone with universal at my father in law's funeral, it took 2 heart attacks and quad bypass to come to the conclusion that "this is not good for me".

the big splash of "reality t.v." ( YUCK!!!) just sealed my decision to move on.

Idea
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 12:28 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
blatham wrote:
This is an amazing thread! I'd love to see nimh, walter, mctag, dlowan, thomas, steve and the others from outside the US comment on the posts here.

Whaddya do with folks like fox and jw?

On the one hand, there are the many folks who read press and commentary, daily in most cases, from diverse sources spread all over the world, including from the US.

On the other hand, fox and jw and select company who don't. Unless linked from townhall, of course.

And this second group actually does think they have the objective and balanced viewpoint!?!

And in North Korea, the folks there, only slightly more isolated than our friends here, believe that the whole world loves and admires The Great Leader.

Smug much? What should be done with you? You read a few articles and think you have the right to denegrate the opinions of others? As JW said, you don't have a clue as to what is read by whom.

You also speak as if you don't dismiss any conservative viewpoints you hear as quickly as you hear them. Feel free to correct me, but I don't recall you posting a wide array of the diversity of opinions and views you claim to hold most dear. Based upon my recollection of the content of most of your postings, it appears you only read/watch liberal mags, rags, and tv programming. Shall I be so bold as to conclude you to be an unenlighted, one-dimensional, subjective, and out-of-balance poster for that reason?

Perhaps it's time to reign in the superior attitude a bit before I'm forced to retch.

Permission granted to wretch.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 12:31 pm
DTOM

Jesus! It takes a fair bit to get you turned around a corner.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 12:44 pm
http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/puke.gif
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 12:49 pm
A girlie wretch.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 01:07 pm
Who you calling a "girlie wretch"?

Now, this is a "girlie" retch:
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/wuerg/vomit-smiley-001.gif
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 01:39 pm
lol....ok, you win that one.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 01:39 pm
ps...you obviously have much too much time on your hands
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 03:35 pm
blatham wrote:
DTOM

Jesus! It takes a fair bit to get you turned around a corner.

Laughing yeah... i guess you could say that. DUH !
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 04:07 pm
LOL. Well, in my case, I've been far more familiar with corners than anything straight. The slightest skin blemish and I change career, address and lady-friend. If someone shakes out a down comforter from a balcony above, I'm into a hardhat in seconds.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 05:13 pm
blatham wrote:
LOL. Well, in my case, I've been far more familiar with corners than anything straight. The slightest skin blemish and I change career, address and lady-friend. If someone shakes out a down comforter from a balcony above, I'm into a hardhat in seconds.

hahahahahahaha!!

that crystal revelation... "ohmygawd!! the kid ain't gonna live forever anymore!!! "

:wink:
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 08:35 am
In truth, there was never a revelation. I've just always been the cowardly sort. There seems little evidence that the gods respond to any mortal plaint at all, so I figure one strategy is as good as any other and let myself fall to my natural tendency, whimpering.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 09:39 am
"...thick as fleas on a hound." ain't so creative.I wouldn't be surprised if that was in Homer.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 09:58 am
Did someone transcribe that hoar here? Along with 'quote', 'report', and 'post reply' we ought to have the option 'smite author'.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 02:03 pm
spendius wrote:
"...thick as fleas on a hound." ain't so creative.I wouldn't be surprised if that was in Homer.

why yes, you are correct, spendius. it is immediately preceded by this line of creativite prose;

spendius;
Forum: Politics   Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:43 am   Subject: Bush supporters' aftermath thread

Going to see the archbishop is a euphemism here for seeing a old friend off to the seaside.

or perhaps you meant "beating the bishop" ? Laughing
0 Replies