Fox News channel heading to Canada

cavfancier

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 01:08 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
D writes
Quote:
I have no idea how the Canadians on A2K feel about America. No doubt many have been critical of U.S. foreign policy. From this you conclude that Canadians don't know what's going on in the U.S.?

I can only go by the comments made by A2K Canadians that so far have been pretty much 100% critical of U.S. foreign and social policies. From this I conclude most Canadians are probably getting a very biased view of U.S. foreign and social policies. Otherwise, I believe opinions would be more mixed as they are in the U.S.

With all due respect, do you mean more mixed, or more polarized? As a citizen here, I find that our world view is quite balanced actually, in general. Are we a liberal country? Technically, we are a social democracy, with a fondness for building bridges, rather than burning them down. We also love satire, and Rick Mercer. Please check out this link, which I thought was hilarious, and read the comments below, from both Americans and Canadians. Quite frankly, I consider Fox News to be a source that encourages this sort of wacky hype:

http://www.lehopictures.com/the_joint/archives/000038.php

Just because we sometimes disagree with American foreign policy does not mean we are anti-American. Sheesh!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 01:13 pm
Respectfully disagree Cav. I believe the media most Canadians are most consistently exposed to now encourages this kind of hype. The article does make my point beautifully, however. I think Fox News is a news source that honestly does provide all points of view. Because it does not consistently revile and trounce the current administration and national leadership, Fox News is consistently reviled and trounced by most on the Left. But it also provides a balance for those of us who do not believe the United States is this horrible greedly monolith out to diminish the rest of the world.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 01:29 pm
I'm just saying that not all Canadians hold that position, despite criticism of American foreign policy from the friendly North, and despite the opposition to the war in Iraq. Life just isn't that black and white. Fox News is in no way balanced. No news source is these days. Television news has been downgraded to ratings, both on the left and the right. Spin a good yarn, get the viewers. Anyone who puts trust in the media right now is misguided, IMO. We have enough outlets to news media here, on both sides. Fox News is not going to matter much in the long run.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 01:30 pm
Incidentally, I have digital cable, so Fox News is nothing new to this Canadian.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 01:33 pm
Cav writes
Quote:
Fox News is not going to matter much in the long run.

You're probably right and if so, then there shouldn't be any dismay in Canadians being exposed to it. Smile
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 01:37 pm
Looks like they need a Fox News en espanol for Chile:

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/international/AP-APEC.html?oref=login&hp

(For those who can't get the link, they're burning the U.S. flag down there in honor of Pres. Bush's visit...)
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 01:39 pm
I just reread the posts and don't see a general sense of dismay from Canucks. What I see is a sense of dismay that Americans think the introduction of Fox news will help Canadians see issues in a more unbiased way. That...seems pretty agorrant.(sic)

Of course...I could be wrong
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 01:46 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Well kudos to one honest Canadian reporter. He seems to be out of step with most of his compadres.

And obviously favorably aligned with your own personal beliefs.

Foxfyre wrote:
You have to go pretty far out of your way to find a Canadian newspaper in New Mexico and we don't get Canadian television here either, so I rely on the comments of our Canadian friends here and on reporters who report on American/Canadian relationships in order to form personal opinions about that.

And you're worried that Canadians may not be getting an accurate, fair and unbiased assessment of the world around us?
And you follow up with this??

Foxfyre wrote:
Respectfully disagree Cav. I believe the media most Canadians are most consistently exposed to now encourages this kind of hype.

You contend that you have no access to Canadian media, but can justify commenting on the quality or substance of our news?

Foxfyre wrote:
The article does make my point beautifully, however. I think Fox News is a news source that honestly does provide all points of view. Because it does not consistently revile and trounce the current administration and national leadership

Which would lead on to believe that the current administration is infalliable. If Fox News was a "fair, accurate and unbiased" reporting agency, they would have reviled and trounced Mr. Bush's justification (and misrepresentation) for the war. That would constitute fair journalism in my books-champion the administration when they have clearly succeeded, and criticize them when they don't.

Foxfyre wrote:
Fox News is consistently reviled and trounced by most on the Left.

As CNN is by the right....
See where I'm going with this?

Foxfyre wrote:
But it also provides a balance for those of us who do not believe the United States is this horrible greedly monolith out to diminish the rest of the world.

And a blance is what's required in a democracy. But only a fool would steadfastly maintain there is no bias in American (or international) media.
Not that you're a fool, but it's foolish to think that the media source you find credible is universally credible and unbiased.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 01:49 pm
panzade wrote:
I just reread the posts and don't see a general sense of dismay from Canucks. What I see is a sense of dismay that Americans think the introduction of Fox news will help Canadians see issues in a more unbiased way. That...seems pretty agorrant.(sic)

Of course...I could be wrong

Or to think that the majority of Canada's population is glued to American issues.

BTW...if anyone cares to know...out left leaning slant has slowly been on the decline, as we now have a minority Liberal government.
Canadian Liberals and Canadian Conservatives are much different the their American counterparts.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 01:50 pm
Welcome candidone1. It seems that you have caught up quicker than the Americans here. I thank you for that.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 01:53 pm
Some Americans, cav. Generally they're the ones who live as far away as possible from Canada.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 01:58 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
I can only go by the comments made by A2K Canadians that so far have been pretty much 100% critical of U.S. foreign and social policies.

You need to read around the site a bit more in that case, Foxfyre.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 02:01 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Respectfully disagree Cav. I believe the media most Canadians are most consistently exposed to now encourages this kind of hype.

It is becoming increasingly clear, Foxfyre, that what you believe in this case has no basis in reality.

Do you ever go to news @ google.ca or google.de or google.dk or any of the other google news variants to see what is being covered, and of interest, in other countries? It's a much broader world than is revealed to you on U.S. media.

You need to keep in mind that CNN is to the right of much global media, as much as you'd like to portray it as leftist. It is left of Fox News, but it is not leftist.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 02:02 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Some Americans, cav. Generally they're the ones who live as far away as possible from Canada.

I assume those are the ones who bring ski equipment to Canada on summer vacation.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 02:15 pm
Yeah, because we all know it snows all year 'round up there!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 02:27 pm
How do they manage to get cable through the igloo walls without causing them to melt? that's what I want to know.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 02:28 pm
I don't get cable in my igloo.
Eleection results were just delived by dogsled this morning.
Bush won huh?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 02:45 pm
Yeah. Are there any empty igloos on your glacier, candidone 1?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 02:58 pm
good point dys. I always wondered why the igloo didn't collapse when they cooked whale blubber.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 03:04 pm
I prefer to grill seal flippers on my George Foreman.
0 Replies