Fox News channel heading to Canada

cavfancier

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 06:46 pm
Laughing ehBeth, did I mention that I have a relative who was in Harlequin? Do you remember this classic:

Thinking of You

I was standing on the edge of town
I was doing my best to flag a taxi down
I was thinking of you

I was looking at your photograph
Couldn't help myself
I just had to laught
I was drinking to you

I'll be thinking of you
Thinking of you
Thinking of you
Next time around

I was feeling just a bit frustrated
Check that watch smoke another cigaret and waited
Staring out at the moon

I was dreaming of your tiger skin
How you looked
How I felt when you took me in
Licking your silver spoon

Hook x2
Next time round

Yes I'll be thinking of you
You'll be thinking of me
Next time around

Thinking of you (thinking of me)
Thinking of you (thinking of me)
Thinking next time around

Thinking of me
Thinking of me
Thinking of you
Thinking of you
Thinking of me
Next time round
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 06:50 pm
You know I know how to find you, and you still dare to do this? Oh, the folly of youth.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 06:59 pm
Ahh, the folly of youth. Just ask Greg Godovitz, who I had the pleasure of meeting once. Also a very funny, down to earth guy, like both Ian and Dave Thomas. http://members.tripod.com/~GODDO/goddomp.html
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 07:03 pm
you die, twerp!
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 02:02 pm
I've just found this thread for the first time. I don't have time to read it all.....I'm playing hooky from my writing assignment at the moment, but I don't have all day. But this little gem on the first page struck me as hilarious.

Quote:
When 40+% of Canadian young people (60+% in Quebec) view Americans as little more than a great Satan.

And you actually think Fox News is going to help ameliorate that situation, Fox? It will do much to confirm Candian young people's perception of America as the land of many simple minded mean people. So for this reason, I'm all for it. It looks like they're going for 90%.

Young people should be exposed to the truth.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 03:40 pm
Lola wrote:
I've just found this thread for the first time. I don't have time to read it all.....I'm playing hooky from my writing assignment at the moment, but I don't have all day. But this little gem on the first page struck me as hilarious.

Quote:
When 40+% of Canadian young people (60+% in Quebec) view Americans as little more than a great Satan.

And you actually think Fox News is going to help ameliorate that situation, Fox? It will do much to confirm Candian young people's perception of America as the land of many simple minded mean people. So for this reason, I'm all for it. It looks like they're going for 90%.

Young people should be exposed to the truth.

yup, lola.

i suspect that fox news represents the face of the america that they consider to be the great satan.

may i also inject that many of those so concerned about installing american news i.e., fox, into the canadian boobtube don't have, or at least have not voiced, a similar sense of easy access to world info for the people of the u.s.a.

no similar zeal for bringing the cbc or whatever to the t.v.s in america ?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 03:44 pm
Hey Cav and ehbeth...on the subject of one hit wonders....what ever happened to Nick Gilder?
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 03:54 pm
"no similar zeal for bringing the cbc or whatever to the t.v.s in america ? "

We have it LOL. It's called CNN, ABC, C-BS, NBC, MSNBC, etc. etc. Smile
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 04:02 pm
JustWonders wrote:
"no similar zeal for bringing the cbc or whatever to the t.v.s in america ? "

We have it LOL. It's called CNN, ABC, C-BS, NBC, MSNBC, etc. etc. Smile

happy sunday j.w. !

love ya, but i'm not buying that as a real live answer. ;8 > )-
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 04:04 pm
Well, Cali guy, that's all I got LOL. BTW...I didn't know it, but just learned that CBC is subsidized by the Canadians to the tune of $1B ...is that a year???

We can't afford CBC LOL!
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 04:21 pm
Now that you mention it, I want CBC in this country. Let's start a campaign. What a good idea. We need input for other countries and a good place to start would be with our closest neighbors. I'm sure the Canadians would love the additional income.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 04:39 pm
JustWonders wrote:
Well, Cali guy, that's all I got LOL. BTW...I didn't know it, but just learned that CBC is subsidized by the Canadians to the tune of $1B ...is that a year???

We can't afford CBC LOL!

really ?? where didya see that. that's a lotta dukats
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 05:01 pm
Aha...a LOT of dukats LOL. But it includes CBC Radio and some French channel or something.

Info here:

http://www.publicairwaves.ca/index.php?page=808

Quote:
What would happen if taxpayers gave the History Channel a billion dollars a year? Or MuchMusic? Or The Food Network? Sound preposterous?

Well, that's roughly the subsidy CBC gets handed every year by the Canadian government. The payoff? Stale programming, inept scheduling and plummeting ratings. The CBC is now officially a billion-dollar-a-year specialty network
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 05:07 pm
If you could get CBC quality programming on 4 radio networks and 3+ t.v. networks in the U.S. for less than $800 million, I'd encourage you to try.

As that is doubtful, I'd say don't bother.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 05:08 pm
This is an amazing thread! I'd love to see nimh, walter, mctag, dlowan, thomas, steve and the others from outside the US comment on the posts here.

Whaddya do with folks like fox and jw?

On the one hand, there are the many folks who read press and commentary, daily in most cases, from diverse sources spread all over the world, including from the US.

On the other hand, fox and jw and select company who don't. Unless linked from townhall, of course.

And this second group actually does think they have the objective and balanced viewpoint!?!

And in North Korea, the folks there, only slightly more isolated than our friends here, believe that the whole world loves and admires The Great Leader.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 05:13 pm
Sigh. Again, folks, you need to take it up with that Brioux guy - he wrote the article. Blatham, you don't have a clue what anyone reads or watches on a daily basis. You only think you do Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 05:18 pm
JustWonders wrote:
Sigh. Again, folks, you need to take it up with that Brioux guy - he wrote the article.

You're the one who posted it. Deal with the response to it.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 05:19 pm
Nah...what your information sources are is absolutely transparent to all the rest of us.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 05:20 pm
I was responding to a post by DTOM. Hey - DTOM!

LOL
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 08:34 pm
JustWonders wrote:
I was responding to a post by DTOM. Hey - DTOM!

LOL

hey j.w. !

interesting article. i'll have to read up more on how the cbc compares with npr or pbs or both or whatever.

i don't know how things are now, but when i worked in post production during the '90s and up till 2002, a lot of our clients were starting to spend a lot of time shooting and cutting up around vancouver and such.

from what i understood, the canadian government was doing special deals with foreign productions (which i have now forgotten ), but i would not be surprised if on the outlet side, there were also side deals for deeper penetration by american shows.

i for one would love to have more foreign programming available. from a professional pov, the writing, angles and editing are somewhat different than what has been going on in america.

but canada can still keep celine dion, thank you !
0 Replies