Number One On My Wish List

neue regel

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 11:14 am
I respect a well thought out point of view even if I don't necessarily agree with it. I can have a conversation with any reasonable person and often come to some sort of consensus, too.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 11:16 am
neue regel wrote:
I respect a well thought out point of view even if I don't necessarily agree with it. I can have a conversation with any reasonable person and often come to some sort of consensus, too.

Yes but you, my friend, are probably in the minority.
0 Replies

dare2think

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 11:04 am
revel wrote:
JustWonders wrote:
Must be a terrible way to go through life...all that paranoia and hate.

Not to mention it being terribly ironic. Our liberal hate and paranoia can't even begin the compare with the years Clinton was President. How quickly we forget.

The difference being of course that we are paranoid about issues policies and war decisions and not people's sex lives.

A M E N !, revel
0 Replies

dare2think

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 11:12 am
neue regel wrote:

It's ok Not to agree, everybody will not agree, is your skin so thin that if you cannot come to an agreement with someone you get insulted?
0 Replies

neue regel

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 12:05 pm
No, I don't get insulted when I can't find common ground.

The left has sharpened their attacks and insults at conservatives, in general, and I think that that particular strategy has hurt their agenda. Take Dr. Rice as an example.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 12:09 pm
neue regel wrote:
No, I don't get insulted when I can't find common ground.

The left has sharpened their attacks and insults at conservatives, in general, and I think that that particular strategy has hurt their agenda. Take Dr. Rice as an example.

Some people might call this self-defense. It's well known that the right isn't exactly a paragon of civility.
0 Replies

neue regel

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 01:23 pm
'It's well known that the right isn't exactly a paragon of civility.'

I don't think the fringes of either party are known for dulled rhetoric.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 01:37 pm
I appreciate your balanced viewpoints regel. And as far as Dr. Rice is concerned, I feel she's a remarkable woman...as is Janet Reno. I'm not happy that she went from advisor to implementation...but that's my opinion.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 02:12 pm
neue regel wrote:
'It's well known that the right isn't exactly a paragon of civility.'

I don't think the fringes of either party are known for dulled rhetoric.

On this we agree. However, when making generalized characterizations about one party or the other, folks seldom differentiate between the fringe and the main stream.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 02:13 pm
I'm expecting the moderates who voted for Bush & Co. to get a bellyful of the far right in the next four years.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 02:20 pm
MerlinsGodson wrote:
I'm expecting the moderates who voted for Bush & Co. to get a bellyful of the far right in the next four years.
We will... and then probably elect Giuliani accordingly.

JW was right; some of you still don't get it. You will never become the majority by belittling that same majority.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 02:24 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
MerlinsGodson wrote:

JW was right; some of you still don't get it. You will never become the majority by belittling that same majority.

Bill, as I like you I will refrain from ringing your neck. But what the heck are you talking about? Quote something if you're going to throw this clap trap out there so we can all see exactly who doesn't get what, and who is belittling who. Otherwise, maybe you don't want to emulate the condescension and snideness of JW's posts.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 02:33 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
MerlinsGodson wrote:

1. Um, whom did I belittle, exactly?

2. Becoming part of the majority is not my goal. I have my beliefs, they have their beliefs, you have your beliefs.

3. Try posting what you believe instead of trying to put words in my mouth.

4. I know you think Bush walks on water; forgive me for having a different opinion.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 02:58 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
MerlinsGodson wrote:

Bill, as I like you I will refrain from ringing your neck. But what the heck are you talking about? Quote something if you're going to throw this clap trap out there so we can all see exactly who doesn't get what, and who is belittling who. Otherwise, maybe you don't want to emulate the condescension and snideness of JW's posts.
It was a general statement... not directed at anyone or anything in particular.... just an impression I got after reading the thread. This quote of you joking carries with it the arguments of some of the more foolish proponents of your position.
FreeDuck wrote:
The liberals are coming, the liberals are coming! They want to be nice to the terrorists! They want to change our way of life! They want to tax us to death and force us to accept homosexuality! Oh nooooooooo!!!
Now, I know you are clear thinker and that was just a joke. But look at Merlin's last post... and more importantly his other posts on the site. I think you'll see what I mean. :wink:

Merlin, interestingly enough I had started a new paragraph because you had not as of yet made a good example of my point so I wasn't singling you out. It didn't take long though, did it? Laughing
(Btw, I am the swing vote :wink:)
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 03:02 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Merlin, interestingly enough I had started a new paragraph because you had not as of yet made a good example of my point so I wasn't singling you out. It didn't take long though, did it? Laughing
(Btw, I am the swing vote :wink:)

Bill, I'm still not certain that you have a point.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 03:13 pm
MerlinsGodson wrote:
Laughing That surprises me not at all. Look at my first quote of your words again and you'll see I was agreeing with you. Stop behaving like a flame-artist for a moment and it should become clearer. Idea
Hint:
MerlinsGodson wrote:
I know you think Bush walks on water...
This type of statement doesn't fit someone who will vote for Giuliani in the 2008 Primaries. Idea
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 03:18 pm
I hear you Bill, but you should also know that my post was a response to this one.

JustWonders wrote:

When you say something like 'some of you just don't get it'... everyone thinks you're talking to them -- and it's kind of insulting. Better to call us on individual posts if you have a problem with what we're saying or how we're saying it. That 'liberals just don't get it' is just as insulting as anything anyone has said here in this thread about the 'right'. The thread started out about the administration and its tactics. JW succeeded in derailing it and making it about those who voted for or against it. I was just a little surprised to see you towing that line.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 03:51 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
MerlinsGodson wrote:
Laughing That surprises me not at all. Look at my first quote of your words again and you'll see I was agreeing with you. Stop behaving like a flame-artist for a moment and it should become clearer.

Bill, I'm quite familiar with the tactic of saying nonsense and then pretending that you are inscrutable instead of confused.

The fact is that you accused me of belittling someone... and then went on the offensive when I asked you to clarify.

I note that you did not address my points; since you take delight in addressing everything (whether directed at you or not) then I will assume you are unable to do so.

Sadly, I have allowed you to deflect the conversation again.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 03:58 pm
I'm also bemused at the attack on Specter for not being conservative enough.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 04:24 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I hear you Bill, but you should also know that my post was a response to this one.

JustWonders wrote:

When you say something like 'some of you just don't get it'... everyone thinks you're talking to them -- and it's kind of insulting. Better to call us on individual posts if you have a problem with what we're saying or how we're saying it. That 'liberals just don't get it' is just as insulting as anything anyone has said here in this thread about the 'right'. The thread started out about the administration and its tactics. JW succeeded in derailing it and making it about those who voted for or against it. I was just a little surprised to see you towing that line.
Step back a couple paces here FreeDuck. The thread started out one of BPB's 1300 exclamations that Bush is evil defined. Look again and I think you will see that JW's post was quite in line with BPB's. He freely admits, hell he complains, about his feelings of hatred and paranoia.

Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I wish I could trust or at least give the benefit of the doubt to bushco on ANY subject.....I can't....I don't trust anything they say, any of their motives, any of their actions....I believe they are out to f*#k us on purpose in order for a handful of people to become powerful and rich beyond imagination.....I see a Bad Moon Rising......I hate it.....
JustWonders wrote:

All JW did was feign empathy for what the bear had said... and she may not even have been faking. Shocked

I assure you Bear was expecting some refutation from the right after posting something so hateful about the leader of the free world (just rubbing it in... I'm not as nice as JW :wink:). I think a lot of you on the left are suffering from over-sensitivity since Kerry's defeat. I've seen an increase in the double standards around here. That is neither JW's nor my fault. No worries, I would never classify you or the Bear with that annoying little flame-baiter that keeps yipping. :wink:

As for not getting it. For as long as left leaning folks continue to refuse to accept that people, who are neither religious fanatics, homophobes nor idiots could have voted for Bush... simply because they thought he was the better man for the job, they will continue to belittle and insult the very people they hope to win over next time. In other words, exclamations of extreme positions like the Bear's hurt, rather than help, his plight.
0 Replies