I wonder why people continue to dislike the French...

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 02:19 pm
McG was illustrating my point when he wrote:
They should stop being such obvious targets.

Or you could stop being so eager to villify them.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 02:24 pm
The frech throw stones while living in a glass house.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 02:24 pm
FreeDuck wrote:

I've known too many Frenchmen to do that. They villify themselves, I merely point it out. You may agree that it's ok to remember and revere a terrorist as a national hero like many French would, but that doesn't mean I have to like it or not point it out and laugh at them for doing so.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 02:26 pm
Re: I wonder why people continue to dislike the French...
McGentrix wrote:
French consider naming streets after Arafat

Several French municipalities governed by communist and left-wing majorities are considering naming a street or a square after Yasser Arafat.

The French police intelligence service, Renseignements Generaux, reportedly warned the Ministry of Interior that such initiatives might trigger heated polemics and tensions between Jews and Muslims, especially neighborhoods ridden by ethnic violence.

In several suburban cities near Paris and Lyons governed by communist mayors, large Muslim and Jewish populations live side by side.

link

PEOPLE don't dislike the French - SOME people do (especially the fashionable right - or would-be fashionable right.)
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 02:31 pm
fashionable right...oxymoron o' the day ms. buns

sorta like designer pocket protector
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 02:31 pm
McGentrix wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:

I've known too many Frenchmen to do that. They villify themselves, I merely point it out. You may agree that it's ok to remember and revere a terrorist as a national hero like many French would, but that doesn't mean I have to like it or not point it out and laugh at them for doing so.

And so you understand if they laugh at us while pointing out that the KKK is still alive and well as an organization in this country? If it weren't for the French we might still be England.

Be honest with yourself, aren't you just indulging yourself in a little 'look how awful those other people are' fun?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 02:32 pm
If this so then how come french tourism has suffered in the last several years?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 02:33 pm
Baldimo wrote:

Question Not sure I get your meaning, here, Baldi.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 02:34 pm
Baldimo wrote:

maybe people are afraid they'll be there and suddenly the USA will start bunker bombing Paris?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 02:44 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:

And so you understand if they laugh at us while pointing out that the KKK is still alive and well as an organization in this country? If it weren't for the French we might still be England.

Be honest with yourself, aren't you just indulging yourself in a little 'look how awful those other people are' fun?

I laugh and point at the KKK all the time. We have repaid any and all debts owed to France in WW2.

I am delighting myself in the knowledge that their are some seriously messed up people in France trying to honor a terrorist and I do not see many French people oppossing that idea. I bet they'd be running amok in the streets if one of the six conservative French people tried to name a street after Bush.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 02:47 pm
Baldimo wrote:

Not so much.

Quote:
• TRAVEL AND TOURISM: SNCF
Turnover for SNCF reached €22.2 billion in 2002, a 10.2% increase over the previous year

Quote:
• TRAVEL AND TOURISM: MARKET FORECASTS
The market is forecast to grow steadily by 14.1% over the forecast period to reach a value of €75.6 billion (US$90.5 billion) in 2008.

euromonitor link - June 2004
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 02:47 pm
So how do you feel about bush being even less popular than Arafat? That's what I'd be concerned and embarassed about.....
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 02:48 pm
All due respect, McG, you are not exactly at a vantage point to know the general public opinion about the idea. I would wager that most French people don't even know anything about it.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 03:11 pm
McGentrix wrote:
It's rather insensitive of the French that do want to name streets after one of the leading terrorists of the 20th century. The French continue to amaze people like me. Chirac rushed to see Arafat in the hospital, yet declined a meeting with Iraq's Prime Minster Allawi.

Well, one was democratically elected and the other wasn't.
0 Replies

dare2think

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 04:09 pm
The French have more sense than Americans, who's over in Iraq as cannon fodder dying for squat? killing for squat? and the ones who make it back will be messed up in the head for life, some even maimed, if they make it back alive.

bush=reckless warmonger
Chirac=smart enough not to march into a quagmire
0 Replies

dare2think

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 04:14 pm
I admire the French. The only ones full of hate for those who don't walk lockstep in line with them, are the American right-wing.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 04:34 pm
blatham wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
It's rather insensitive of the French that do want to name streets after one of the leading terrorists of the 20th century. The French continue to amaze people like me. Chirac rushed to see Arafat in the hospital, yet declined a meeting with Iraq's Prime Minster Allawi.

Well, one was democratically elected and the other wasn't.

Elected as in the way Saddam was "elected"?

Do you want me to be president?

Yes
No

A no vote means you die and there will be no "no" votes.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 04:47 pm
borrowing from Blatham
IF speaking english was good enough for jesus it should be good enough for the french.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 04:52 pm
How reassuring it must be when one can find scraps of information, such as some renamed street names, to conform one's prejudices.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 04:58 pm
Tis my understand that Rue Morgue will be renamed Bush Street.
0 Replies