I wonder why people continue to dislike the French...

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 12:24 pm
French consider naming streets after Arafat

Several French municipalities governed by communist and left-wing majorities are considering naming a street or a square after Yasser Arafat.

The French police intelligence service, Renseignements Generaux, reportedly warned the Ministry of Interior that such initiatives might trigger heated polemics and tensions between Jews and Muslims, especially neighborhoods ridden by ethnic violence.

In several suburban cities near Paris and Lyons governed by communist mayors, large Muslim and Jewish populations live side by side.

link
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,936 • Replies: 95
No top replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 12:34 pm
maybe a lot of people find the french to be arrogant ass holes...just like they find americans..
0 Replies

smog

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 12:38 pm
McG, those aren't the actions of the French as a whole, just a few municipalities. There are probably some people in America who want to name stuff after Arafat. And personally, I'm not going to hold that against anyone, French or American or whatever.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 12:40 pm
Naming a street after Arafat would be tantamount to naming a street after Bin Laden.

Now if the French knew what they were doing, they would stick to making champagne! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

smog

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 12:41 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Naming a street after Arafat would be tantamount to naming a street after Bin Laden.

Even if that's the case, it was the opinion of a few smaller groups of people, not the French as a collective.
0 Replies

gav

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 12:41 pm
Yeah McGentrix apart from people like yourself, the British and those lads in the Cote d'Ivoire not many other people dislike them!!!

Just you worry about the image of your own country...it needs more work than the French!!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 12:43 pm
Wouldn't it be clearer to title your thread "Why I Hate The French"..because that's what you're really saying....
0 Replies

smog

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 12:44 pm
Or maybe he is really wondering and he's been misunderstood here at A2K all this time...
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 12:55 pm
smog wrote:
Or maybe he is really wondering and he's been misunderstood here at A2K all this time...

in the interest of fairness and open discussion I will concede that point.....in complete sincerity....
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 12:56 pm
Nothing about the Frogs surprises me.

Imagine that they actually treated a terrorist as a Head of State.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 12:59 pm
Native American peoples have disliked the French ever since they helped those damn white land squatters take over this beautiful land.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 12:59 pm
What Woiyo said.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 01:01 pm
It's rather insensitive of the French that do want to name streets after one of the leading terrorists of the 20th century. The French continue to amaze people like me. Chirac rushed to see Arafat in the hospital, yet declined a meeting with Iraq's Prime Minster Allawi.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 01:03 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Native American peoples have disliked the French ever since they helped those damn white land squatters take over this beautiful land.

Dyslexia - How would you know anything about that?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 01:06 pm
Just a guess woiyo, just a guess.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 01:27 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Just a guess woiyo, just a guess.

As suspected Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 01:46 pm
Naming a street after a recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize. Yep, bet that's a first.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 01:48 pm
Yeah, the Nobel peace prize. What a joke that was. He received it for working on the Oslo peace accord which Arafat later used to wipe his butt. He was real deserving of that honor... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 02:16 pm
I find French bashing one of the more distasteful and immature habits of the right-wing indoctrinated.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 02:17 pm
They should stop being such obvious targets.
0 Replies