SUV'S suck?

cjhsa

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 03:59 pm
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 04:10 pm
Between the Humvee and the Aztec? Tough one.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 05:15 pm
Give me a butt-ugly vehicle that gets 45 MPG any day of the week.

I've driven a Toyota Prius and IMHO they're attractive and fun to drive. The Feds give back $2000 in your pocket..and some states chip in, too.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 07:42 am
A very wise man once told me: "nothing says jackass quite like a humvee".

Just trying to keep with cjhsa's honesty standards...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 07:43 am
<duplicate deleted>
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 07:46 am
FreeDuck wrote:

A wise, but poor man perhaps?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 07:48 am
No.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 09:39 am
McGentrix wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:

A wise, but poor man perhaps?

It seems McGentrix, that you associate SUV's with wealth?
I personally know several people with obscene wealth who do not feel compelled to display their wealth in the form of an environmental liability.

Many of them choose this status symbol....one of Lance's favorites.

http://www.caddigest.com/subjects/mcad/select/images/alias_lance/Madone%20-%20complete%20bike.jpg

...but that hardly gets the kids on the street corner to say "wow" like this.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/195000-195999/195480_137_full.jpg

If the wealthy need status symbols, or if people in fact think as you do--that the unwealthy have "SUV-envy"--then it makes the purchase of such an item an even more shallow endeavor.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 09:50 am
Candidone1, Do you suppose wealthy people would choose to drive a ford focus? How about a Kia? Obviously not. Why is that you suppose? Is because they can afford to drive what ever they choose? Not because they need a status symbol, but because they can and they do.

The statement above comes off very much like the type of statement a nearly homeless hippie would say as they see a Humvee drive by while sharing a bottle of thunderbird with their friends...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 10:22 am
I work with people who certainly could be considered wealthy. Maybe not ridiculously so, but certainly able to afford a Humvee. Yet I'm not aware of any of them owning one. Sure, some drive SUVs, but not Humvees.

But people do drive 'em, for sure. I guess "wealth and "taste" don't always correlate...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 10:23 am
McG, I'm so proud of you. My homeless guy with a bottle of thunderbird makes his way into your repertoire.

It's also the statement of a person who mind find it ridiculous to drive a miltary-type vehicle in DC, though he could afford said vehicle if he thought it were a wise use of money.

Many people are doing well financially because they are able to spot frivolous expenditures and avoid them.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 10:30 am
..."taste" and/or common sense, either!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 10:42 am
How many of them drive those little "beemers" or Lexus SUV's, or Infinity SUV's or Mercedes SUV's? It's all a status symbol.

Have you ever asked yourself why luxury car companies started making SUV's to begin with?

(Now, my 2 cents on hummers... I wouldn't drive one either, but I do not think I would throw one away if it were given to me...)
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 10:44 am
If I needed to drive across the desert, I might by a hummer.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 10:49 am
McG, I think we agree that the manufacturers build luxury SUVs because people buy 'em. No argument there.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 10:53 am
Quote:
How many of them drive those little "beemers" or Lexus SUV's, or Infinity SUV's or Mercedes SUV's? It's all a status symbol.

Have you ever asked yourself why luxury car companies started making SUV's to begin with?

(Now, my 2 cents on hummers... I wouldn't drive one either, but I do not think I would throw one away if it were given to me...)

You'd have a hard time throwing one away; they're too big to fit....

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 11:08 am
I don't currently own an SUV, but when I replace the family minivan, what should I buy? I mean, we actually need seating for six or seven people at times.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 11:10 am
cjhsa wrote:
I don't currently own an SUV, but when I replace the family minivan, what should I buy? I mean, we actually need seating for six or seven people at times.

How about another minivan? We were in the market for a Toyota Sienna but our local dealer was out. They were having a great special on the Highlander, though, and it has a popup back seat. You can fit 7 (including the driver) but it's not as comfy as the Sienna and sits a little higher up. Since we needed ours for the family business and for occasional visits from the very large extended family, we went ahead and bought the Highlander. I like it fine, but if I had it to do again I'd get on a waiting list for the Sienna.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 11:11 am
cjhsa wrote:

How often? I've found it much more cost-effective to rent a larger vehicle (or borrow one) on those few times I've needed that much capacity.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 11:13 am
Just about every day. It's a family vehicle...

And no we don't want another minivan. Ten years of one is enough.
0 Replies