SUV'S suck?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 01:14 pm
I test drove a Prius last week, and man, it was a pretty sweet ride for 60 mpg....

I like the fact that every seat in the thing folded down 25 different ways or something like that. When the entire car was folded down for cargo, the amount of storage space was amazing.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 01:17 pm
They also fold up really nice when you run over them with an SUV.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 01:22 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I test drove a Prius last week, and man, it was a pretty sweet ride for 60 mpg....

I like the fact that every seat in the thing folded down 25 different ways or something like that. When the entire car was folded down for cargo, the amount of storage space was amazing.

Cycloptichorn

They are a nice ride. Still cost too much I think, but pretty nice. But as cjhsa says ...

cjhsa wrote:

Unfortunately, this is probably very true. Sad
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 01:27 pm
gungasnake wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

You raise a good question about reliability, but I've found Toyotas to be very reliable.

True, nonetheless I believe in Mr. Murphy and his laws; particularly the one which says that the more complicated something is, the less apt it is to work properly, or to go on working properly for any length of time.

The standard internal-combustion engine is a pretty complex beastie in and of itself. I'm not sure that the hybrid engines actually increase the complexity of the engine itself.

Consumer Reports rates the 2003 as "Excellent" reliability history in all categories.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 01:29 pm
Quote:
They also fold up really nice when you run over them with an SUV...

... which promptly rolls over as the blond soccer mom driving it loses control.

As for the extra price, with gas at $2 a gallon (and probably going to go higher), how long does it take to recoup that savings? Not that long, I would think....

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 01:40 pm
Why go the Prius (ugly) route when you can get Civic (and soon an Accord) hybrid that look like the gas-powered versions? Or a Ford Escape mini-SUV.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 02:02 pm
Careful of those mini-SUVs; the Bronco II was a death trap.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 02:04 pm
Quote:
Why go the Prius (ugly) route when you can get Civic (and soon an Accord) hybrid that look like the gas-powered versions? Or a Ford Escape mini-SUV.

I like the way the Prius looks. Who ever said cars have to all look the exact same?

And the Ford Escape is a POS.... save your money...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 02:27 pm
cjhsa wrote:

I'm currently debating which of these two (civic or prius) to get. I've had both Toyotas and Hondas (currently driving a civic hatchback) and find them to always be reliable, low maintenance and nice to drive. The principle difference right now seems to be that the prius has a little more passenger and trunk room and that it costs between 1 and 2 grand more than the civic. I'm trying to find out if there is as long a wait list for the civic hybrid as there is for the prius. Both the Ford and the Accord are out of my price range.

I'm really really excited that these options are out there. The auto makers are that are embracing this technology will probably be rewarded for it with greater market share and profit.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 02:27 pm
...and I LIKE the way the prius looks too.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 02:29 pm
cjhsa wrote:

As do all sedans and compact cars.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 02:35 pm
I love my little Civic sedan... of course I love my little Toyota Corolla as well.

Some of my family was, well, concerned that we were buying small cars.

They missed the fact that we also had smaller payments, smaller insurance premiums, smaller gasoline expenses, etc. I estimate that all this saves us around $400-600/month.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 02:37 pm
I drive a Prius. While I'm sure it wouldn't fare well vs. an SUV, I'm not too worried about it rolling over as those big rigs are wont to do...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 02:58 pm
I realize that smaller cars have a disadvantage in a collision, but I also feel like I have better maneuverability to avoid an accident. And I really don't like the idea of getting into a 'who's car is the biggest' pissing match with the general population. There's always someone bigger. Let's face it, any of us gets into a collision with a tractor trailer it's curtains.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 03:08 pm
Amen.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 03:29 pm
Indeed. During a recent junket down I-5 (Seattle-Portland), it was the semis that got my attention. Next to them we all drive little vehicles...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 03:31 pm
Indeed. During a recent junket down I-5 (Seattle-Portland), it was the semis that got my attention. Next to them we all drive little vehicles...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 03:38 pm
I'm sorry but Prius' are butt-ugly. If I had one I'd be driving around parking lots looking for an Aztec to park next to.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 03:45 pm
cjhsa wrote:
I'm sorry but Prius' are butt-ugly. If I had one I'd be driving around parking lots looking for an Aztec to park next to.

Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 03:53 pm
cjhsa wrote:

Well, I could probably descend to this level of debate and say what I think about how Humvees look, but that would be wrong...
0 Replies