SUV'S suck?

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 05:45 pm
Yeah, finally got around to clicking your link, Baldi. Very interesting. I love Toyota for taking the lead on this -- I just wish they'd make more Prius, Priuses, whatever.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 05:47 pm
I like the idea of being able to drive off roads
in a vehicle.....
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 05:57 pm
Yeah, there's nothing like rolling over the foliage at 60 mph for a true appreciation of what nature has to offer. Look--there goes Bambi, running for dear life...
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 06:08 pm
I think it's called "thinking outside the box"!
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 06:15 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Yeah, finally got around to clicking your link, Baldi. Very interesting. I love Toyota for taking the lead on this -- I just wish they'd make more Prius, Priuses, whatever.

Have you seen the research on the "skateboard"? It's supposed to be a hydrogen-powered vehicle that will have changeable bodies. I read about it a few years ago in Popular Science.

GM AUTOnomy
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 08:06 pm
I test drove a Prius once. It's pretty cool. You can operate in stealth mode: drive around purely on battery power, engine off, completeely silent, but with a lot of power. Can only go up to about 20 mph before the engine turns on. But even when it turns on it's real quiet. You don't "start" the engine. Ever. The car knows when to turn the engine on to assist the battery, and it shuts if off automatically too.

If it didn't cost $5K more than it should, I might've bought one.
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 08:34 pm
We use electric Ford Rangers. Plenty of power and will go about 50 miles between charges I love it.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 08:49 pm
cannistershot wrote:
We use electric Ford Rangers. Plenty of power and will go about 50 miles between charges I love it.
I didn't know that they made them light trucks in electric only. I knew you could convert just about any car or truck to propane or natural gas but electric? I love technology.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 09:17 pm
When you purchase, you can still get $2000 back from the Feds on Toyota Prius. I love the way they made it a little larger in the interior and it has fair-to-good pickup too
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 09:33 pm
Re: SUV'S suck?
cannistershot wrote:
As I was on my way to work this morning scooting along in the carpool lane, (in my small nissan) I noticed a funny sight. I passed a 1980 something Buick, smoking like it was on fire with an SUV'S suck sticker on the back glass. If the sticker had been on the bumper it would of been invisible from the cloud behind it. I also passed a Volvo (early 90's) with a oil smell problem with a SUV's are gross polluters sticker. Now I am sure that the first might of been a joke, but I'm not sure from the serious look on the drivers face. My new sticker will say get a clue!

I don't have any love for Volvos, old Buicks, OR SUVs.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 09:44 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
I test drove a Prius once. It's pretty cool. You can operate in stealth mode: drive around purely on battery power, engine off, completeely silent, but with a lot of power. Can only go up to about 20 mph before the engine turns on. But even when it turns on it's real quiet. You don't "start" the engine. Ever. The car knows when to turn the engine on to assist the battery, and it shuts if off automatically too.

Sounds like you got lucky; I'd not have any use for a Prius. Aside from questions of how reliable anything that complex might turn out to be four years down the road, the thing is dangerously small and yet weights 3000 lbs and they claim that they've gotten weight DOWN to that figure by making suspension components and other things which ought to be made out of steel, out of aluminum.

A Diesel VW is a much better bargain for somebody looking for the last ounce of fuel mileage in a drivable car. One factor I look at these days is what does it take to get a vehicle stopped in east-coast traffic which frequently features brake-slamming, both with and without rational reasons for it. I'd want at least 15" tires on a car which weighed 3000 lbs, and the Prius does not appear to have them.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 10:20 pm
gungasnake wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

Sounds like you got lucky; I'd not have any use for a Prius. Aside from questions of how reliable anything that complex might turn out to be four years down the road, the thing is dangerously small and yet weights 3000 lbs and they claim that they've gotten weight DOWN to that figure by making suspension components and other things which ought to be made out of steel, out of aluminum.

A Diesel VW is a much better bargain for somebody looking for the last ounce of fuel mileage in a drivable car. One factor I look at these days is what does it take to get a vehicle stopped in east-coast traffic which frequently features brake-slamming, both with and without rational reasons for it. I'd want at least 15" tires on a car which weighed 3000 lbs, and the Prius does not appear to have them.

You raise a good question about reliability, but I've found Toyotas to be very reliable.

I also would predict a fleet of Prius (or some similar hybrid) taxis in the near future. They are made for stop and go city traffic, where they draw on battery power only and use little gas. Gas mileage is higher in city driving than highway driving.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 10:26 pm
Some electric cars use dynamos for breaks, recharging the battery as they slow. Makes for very efficient stop and go vehicles.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 10:57 pm
Einherjar wrote:
Some electric cars use dynamos for breaks, recharging the battery as the slow. Makes for very efficient stop and go vehicles.

You mean the recuperative breaking?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 11:00 pm
yup
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 11:12 pm
Baldimo wrote:
Einherjar wrote:
Some electric cars use dynamos for breaks, recharging the battery as the slow. Makes for very efficient stop and go vehicles.

Yes

You could start out with a charged out battery on top of a mountain, and charge the bateries on the way down. You could then turn around and drive a decent fraction of the way back up again.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 11:14 pm
Baldimo wrote:
Einherjar wrote:

Yes, the Prius does this. It takes the energy from the braking of the car and uses it to recharge the battery. As you say, that's why it's very efficient in town.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 01:00 am
Ticomaya wrote:

You raise a good question about reliability, but I've found Toyotas to be very reliable.

True, nonetheless I believe in Mr. Murphy and his laws; particularly the one which says that the more complicated something is, the less apt it is to work properly, or to go on working properly for any length of time.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 01:34 am
Some people will always drive unsafely, no matter what the conditions. Ever see what happens on the first snow fall? Watch what happens in your area as the first snows hit.

No one ever went broke under-estimating the intelligence of the masses.

However, that being said, the biggest problem vehicles were the Mitsubishi Montero and pre-1999 Ford Explorer with Firestone tires. Weakly designed Firestone tire sidewalls and poorly designed weight distrubution and short wheelbases added to a top heavy car that would flip under easily provoked in moderate *(35 mph) driving conditions.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 01:09 pm
When are they going to outlaw these out-of-control SUVs? They're running amok ...

Quote:
Woman Charged With Running Down Boys Who Hit SUV With Golf Ball

POSTED: 12:42 pm EST December 6, 2004
ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. -- A woman ran over two teenage brothers after they accidentally hit her sport utility vehicle with the golf ball they were bouncing in a parking lot, officials said, leaving one of the boys with life-threatening injuries.

Isiah Grayer, 14, and his 16-year-old twin stepbrothers, Justin and Jamel Marshman, were bouncing the golf ball in a shopping center parking lot Sunday afternoon when it went astray and struck a sport utility vehicle driven by Kathy Feaganes Allen, 47, St. Johns County sheriff's Deputy Greg Suchy said.

Suchy said no damage was done, and the boys apologized and began to walk away. Allen started to drive away, but suddenly made a U-turn, ran over a median and struck Grayer, causing severe injuries, and Justin Marshman before knocking over a light pole, Suchy said.

She then drove after Jamel Marshman, crossing two medians and striking a utility box before her SUV stopped in a ditch, Suchy said. The boy ran away and was not struck.

Witness Russell McPhee said Allen accelerated to hit the boys.

"She charged them," he said. "This was the most deliberate act."

McPhee said he yelled at Allen to stay where she was when she got out of her car.

"After she ran them down, she got out of the car and lit a cigarette like a movie star," he said. "She watched all three of (the boys) just lying there."

Allen then used Terry Gerspch's cell phone to call her husband. Gerspch said Allen seemed unfazed.

"She was as calm as anything," she said. "She said the boys were throwing rocks at her car."

McPhee said Jamel, the uninjured brother, ran over to Allen's car and confronted her.

"He didn't get physical with her," he said. "He just kept asking 'Why? Why did you do this?"'

A judge ordered Allen held without bail Monday on three counts of attempted murder. She is being represented by the St. Johns County Public Defender's Office, which did not immediately return a call Monday seeking comment.

Grayer was in critical condition Monday at Shands Hospital in Jacksonville. Justin Marshman was treated for non-life threatening injuries at Flagler Hospital.

0 Replies