How do I stir up the Cambridge Philosophy budget scoffers?

Ethel2

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 08:40 am
spendius wrote:
Okay.

Anthony Escobart talking about sins a Jesuit priest may commit.

"It is lawful....to make use of the science acquired through the assistance of the Devil,for the knowledge is good in itself,and the sin by which it was acquired has gone by."

Nice piece of sophistry eh?

But there is a truth there which answers a point I think you raised yesterday and which I answered slightly differently.The philosopher does "know" women but they don't influence his ideas outside of that science.I don't think a married man,esp with daughters,can be expected to be so tough.He would probably get a belt with a rolling pin if he tried it.

Gustave is supposed to have done the "Rover" with his top hat on and smoking a cigar just to prove he was working.

Not all marriages are exercises in coercion. Some of satisfying partnerships in which difference is not only tolerated, but loved.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 08:41 am
Francis wrote:
Hmm...nice chat...

I believe you've got it Francis.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 08:44 am
Quote:
Gustave is supposed to have done the "Rover" with his top hat on and smoking a cigar just to prove he was working.

Excellent technique, I'd say.........I love top hats and cigars. george? where are you?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 08:48 am
"a man vanishes"...
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 09:13 am
Leaving the varnish behind.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 09:20 am
Laughing
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 09:23 am
Quote:
Not all marriages are exercises in coercion.

Not all people win the lottery.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 09:30 am
Checking through Isis Unveiled I came across the idea that the molecular structure of the body is a function of the thoughts.

What do you think of that Lola.

Could Helen do her partial differentials on that.

Would an MRI scan be similarly affected.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 09:39 am
Food for thought.

See you tomorrow sweet laydeee.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 09:52 am
spendius wrote:
Checking through Isis Unveiled I came across the idea that the molecular structure of the body is a function of the thoughts.

What do you think of that Lola.

Could Helen do her partial differentials on that.

Would an MRI scan be similarly affected.

yes.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 09:53 am
spendius wrote:
Quote:
Not all marriages are exercises in coercion.

Not all people win the lottery.

Still, it is possible to be married and not be coerced with rolling pin or other blunt instrument. How ever remote the possibilities.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 09:56 am
spendius wrote:
Food for thought.

See you tomorrow sweet laydeee.

Yes, later...........mist - eeeeeer
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 10:03 am
Francis wrote:
"a man vanishes"...

I've always been more interested in the unvarnished real man than one who has gone missing......
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 04:13 am
According to an article in the Sunday Times Culture book review section a cultured Frenchman of the 19th-century decribed a trip to America as like "travelling backward through the progress of the human spirit".

I am neutral but I wondered what cultured Americans might have to say about such a statement appearing in a prestigious British journal.
If I was the editor I would have spiked the article.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 06:39 am
It's only libel if it isn't true and since it is.....why not print it? Britishers are sujected to the consequences of the back ward ways of Americans, not to mention the pollution and world angst we cause, why shouldn't a British journal have their fun? It may be the only chance they have to pay us back. Influence, however is unlikely.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 07:01 am
If I was a lady,and oh how I wish I was,and I thought that I would move to England forthwith.

We may have a little influence you know.See my post on the Spooner channel.Not everybody will have an ego thrum with it.

I find it most odd that my plain to see superiority with Spoonerisms does not elicit a more humble response and some attempt to try to pick my brains on the matter.It is Ask An Expert but nobody seems to want to.They all seem to want to be experts themselves and when they can't,which they can't,they take their ball home with a po face.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 08:11 am
I haven't vanished: I'm here and I have a cigar !!

Lot's of stuff here -

Favored Novels; Brothers Karamazov. Pere Goriot, the Red and the Black, the Nigger of the Narcissus (Conrad); Great Expectations; Posthumas Reminiscences of Bras Cubas (little known- by a Brazilian named Machado de Assis); Don Quixote.
Stories, short and long by Mark Twain. Brete Hart, Maxim Gorki, Checkov, Thos. Mann, Maupassant, Balzac, Pio Baroja, others...

At the Naval Academy as an exercise in French class we had to translate Prosper Merrime's novel, Carmen into English. The experience left me with a lingering fondness for the story and a palpable impression of its spirit...

Hell, I even liked partial differentail equations, and especially Sturm Liouville transforms for solving them. Only later did I understand what a small subset of them could be solved.

Quote:
According to an article in the Sunday Times Culture book review section a cultured Frenchman of the 19th-century decribed a trip to America as like "travelling backward through the progress of the human spirit".

I am neutral but I wondered what cultured Americans might have to say about such a statement appearing in a prestigious British journal.

The human spirit of that refined late 19th century Frenchman was about to experience a brief flowering of impressionist art and music, but quickly followed by the ravages of WWI. Perhaps his travels through America would take him backwards only from the abyss he was about to enter.

Europeans have still not gotten over this and they can't forgive us for it.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 08:26 am
George:-

I forgive you.America has done so much for me I am prepared to forgive it anything.

I would have spiked that article.It is an enemy of cross-cultural understanding.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 08:30 am
Spendius,

What has America done for you?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 08:34 am
Quote:
If I was a lady,and oh how I wish I was,and I thought that I would move to England forthwith.

I could never move to England........I'm much too gluttonous to fit in. I've been raised an American and it's too hard to change my ways enough to make it in Europe. I want all the water, electricity and plastic I want, and I don't like to be restricted. I can conserve......but never enough to live in England.

You think ladies have it easier than men? I don't think so. But they have it no worse either, in my opinion.
0 Replies