How do I stir up the Cambridge Philosophy budget scoffers?

cavfancier

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 05:23 am
"Simple colonials"? Oh my...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 05:29 am
Methinks you doth wrap yourself too tightly in your perceived sense of cleverness, like the ancient mummies you criticize. Methinks philosophy is perfect for you, or creative writing. Maybe a job pumping gas at a self-serve petrol station is in order. It would be an existential adventure. Feel free to borrow that idea for a thesis.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 06:18 am
THE SPENDIUS BULLETIN BOARD.

This is a SPECIAL FEECHEWER of the CPD wind-up thread.It is designed to bring English speaking spendics, who reside in exotic locations, in touch with important developments in European thought.

ITEM 1

PASSIVE WORSHIP.
A SKY News report (NOV 22) claimed that a recent Dutch study has shown
that worship of deities in enclosed spaces infested with the gaseous flatus from conflagrations of candles,incense and such-like positively correlates with an increased incidence of lung cancer.Details are sketchy.The survey has not mentioned the playing of organ music.It also didn't mention quite a lot of other things.
You have been warned.

spendius.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 07:16 am
Cav dear,
Me?Clever? Don't be so daft.
There's an unbridgeable abyss between my slight talents and those at whose feet I kneel in awestruck wonder.
Any page of Shakespeare will suffice to disabuse you.
I've pumped gas.Probably before you were born.It was 20 pence a gallon then.We were whacked in those days for poor performance.Perhaps that is the explanation for your confusion.
Existential adventures are not my bag.Russian roulette is one of those.
It's a question of which gear you are in.I'm in second so far.I'll change up if anybody appears in the rear-view mirror.

Best wishes.

spendius.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 07:44 am
Hi Cobber,
Don,t get Craven and Frank.Is it Frank Harris of blessed memory.He is one of those whose feet I have sat at.I don't know who else has done but I could tell if I met them.Frank more or less invented tabloid journalism.
Fancy McGrath scoring runs.

spendius.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 11:29 am
dlowan wrote:
Hmmm - didn't Craven and Frank, or someone - make up a good name for that one as a logical fallacy?

It is an argumentum ad connubium.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 11:41 am
joefromchicago wrote: "Not simply an argumentum ad hominem, it is an argumentum ad connubium, a fallacy where one's lack of sexual satisfaction is regarded as a logical flaw. It is, in short, the vulgar, obscene equivalent of Godwin's Law: upon its appearance, the thread has officially gone on too long."

Well, at least we agree on something.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 06:59 am
I've been reading through the "Do Primates Have Culture" thread.

I am beginning to understand.I had thought,silly old me,that some kind of progress in some direction was in order.
Philosophy is concerned with clarification of the meaning of things.It can quickly degenerate,and usually does,into attempting to clarify things which are incomprehensible.It then becomes the human equivalent of ducks quacking and thus non-human.(cf-The CPD).

Primates cannot have culture.They have no biograhy and no unique circumstances of discourse.They would be much the same now as they were in the time of Caractacus or Moses.There's no general form of consciousness which can be associated with a particular period such as the Classical or the Biblical or the Medieval.There,s no "types" of society such as agrarian or industrial or matriarchal or bronze-age except insofar as primate adjustments to environment accidentally coincide with some superficial aspect of a human "type".They have no traditions or imaginary landscapes and they have no art.In all these respects they are no different than cats or mosquitoes.They could not reverse even simple threats to their existence.They will survive long-term at our pleasure in zoos and laboratories where we will use them.That's the fact of it.
They are cute though as long as they don't get in the way of highways and shops and sports stadia and such-like.
Viruses,insects and bacteria are another matter.I don't think we'll ever patronise them out of a guilty conscience.
Teleology can be good fun but philosophy it ain't.

spendius.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 07:03 am
Wise us up Joe.
What's Godwin's Law?

spendius.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 07:07 am
Heehee: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law
Godwin's Law (also Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies) is an adage in Internet culture that was originated by Mike Godwin in 1990. The law states that:

As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.
There is a tradition in many Usenet newsgroups that once such a comparison is made, the thread is over, and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was in progress. In addition, whoever points out that Godwin's Law applies to the thread is also considered to have "lost" the battle, as it is considered poor form to invoke the law explicitly. Godwin's Law thus practically guarantees the existence of an upper bound on thread length in those groups. Many people understand Godwin's Law to mean this, although (as is clear from the statement of the law above) this is not the original formulation.

Nevertheless, there is also a widely-recognized codicil that any intentional invocation of Godwin's Law for its thread-ending effects will be unsuccessful.

Godwin's Law is named after Mike Godwin, who was legal counsel for the Electronic Frontier Foundation in the early 1990s, when the law was first popularized. Richard Sexton maintains that the law is a formalization of his October 16, 1989 post

You can tell when a USENET discussion is getting old when one of the participents (sic) drags out Hitler and the Nazis.
Strictly speaking, however, this is not so, since the actual text of Godwin's Law does not state that such a reference or comparison makes a discussion "old," or, for that matter, that such a reference or comparison means that a discussion is over.

Finding the meme of Nazi comparisons on Usenet illogical and offensive, Godwin established the law as a counter-meme. The law's memetic function is not to end discussions (or even to classify them as "old"), but to make participants in a discussion more aware of whether a comparison to Nazis or Hitler is appropriate, or is simply a rhetorical overreach.

Many people have extended Godwin's Law to imply that the invoking of the Nazis as a debating tactic (in any argument not directly related to World War II or the Holocaust) automatically loses the argument, simply because the nature of these events is such that any comparison to any event less serious than genocide or extinction is invalid and in poor taste.

Various addenda to Godwin's Law have been proposed by Internet users, though the original reference to Nazis remains the most popular. Addenda to the law include:
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 07:09 am
The record here, as far as I know, is 0 to Nazis in three posts.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 07:15 am
You're a liverish sort of chappie, aren't you, Spendius?

Have you thought of adding a little more fibre to your diet?

Awfully good fer a chap's philosophical outlook, I have found.

And - if you drink more pure water as well, it might cure you of your obsession with the Cambridge Philosophy Department....just a thought.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 07:22 am
Fortunately Cav. there's no such thing as "lack of sexual satisfaction".The biology ensures spontaneous nocturnal relief to those with the will power to enthusiastically await it.The older one is the longer the anticipation period.This is an antidote for physical degeneration.One does have the additional benefit of meeting a higher class of woman.Plus minimal after effects.
Whether any of this applies to women I would not presume to discuss.

spendius.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 07:44 am
To borrow a phrase from the sorely missed Setanta, please stop addressing me personally, spendius.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 08:29 am
Bidding Ends at $28K for Cheese Sandwich 7:33 a.m. ET
HOLLYWOOD, Fla. (AP) -- A woman who said her 10-year-old grilled cheese sandwich bore the image of the Virgin Mary will be getting a lot more bread after the item sold for $28,000 on eBay.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 09:22 am
That's nothing General.
There's a piece of old canvas in The Louvre which has been daubed all over with dollops of pigment which is said to be the imprint of a lady some call the Giaconda which is worth more than all the real estate in Ontario.

spendius.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 09:41 am
I wasn't addressing anybody personally.
Cav is abrev.for cavfancier and cavfancier could be a number of things.
Philosophy is never personal.
I,m just here to learn.I was informed that the sub-forum Philosophy and Debate of the forum Able 2 Know resided at the cutting edge of modern thinking.I'm beginning to doubt the veracity of my informant.Yet,I live in hope which Piffka resuscitated just now.
The blind spot I have regarding Setanta is exactly the sort of thing I need to cure myself of.

spendius.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 10:24 am
Not a bit dlowan.Can,t think how an idea like that got loose.In the Yucky we laugh at debating points of that type.
I did once think of adding more fibre to my diet.I was in short pants at the time.It worked too.I think it was in King Solomon's Mines.
Pure water is horrible.I have tasted it and I don't recommend it.It's okay for topping up electrical batteries and washing lab.equipment when small quantities of impurity present problems.But even that stuff is not absolutely pure.It's a moot point whether absolutely pure water exists but if you combine oxygen and hydrogen in carefully controlled conditions you may get something that asymptotes with purity.
Why would I want to be cured of my obsession with the CPD when I'm on the thread specifically oriented to be obsessed with it?Would a darts player wish to be cured of an obsession with double top when he needs to hit it to be world champ.It's often called concentration at cricket.
I'm simply trying to find what the CPD does to justify the money we spend on it.I,along with all my pals,have to make that money and we would all agree to it being spent in this way if it can be shown to be of benefit.So explain the benefit.That,s how to shut me up.
I presume you know that bureaucracies have survival and growth strategies (Max Weber,DH Lawrence's guru) and that they will expand to eat everything unless stopped.
Thanks for the enlightenment on Godwin.You live and learn.I'll study it more carefully tomorrow.Tonight shakespeare beckons,then the pub and then,hopefully, a midwinter night's dream.
Could you kill at a distance by shouting Nazi!!
It's going dark here.

spendius.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 04:51 pm
spendius

Apparently you've never been to Ontario. A large dayglo Elvis on velvet would do the trick.

spendius spendius

It's Major General.

spendius spendius spendius

I'm trying to help you out here. You've passed the janitor, so the next step up is theology, obviously.

Forget the EBay lady. You want to zero in on Mary. She could have been in the clouds at sunset over Dover. Or under a Vancouver streetlamp in a quick swirl of snowflakes. But Mary picks a grilled cheese sandwich in Hollywood, Florida. Her last outing, she tossed her kisser onto the grease of a deep-fryer somewhere in Portugal. Clearly, a visage slut.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 06:48 am
Woke up this morning
There's an item on Sky News
All about a butty
And the Virgin Mary blues.

But the Spendic channel scooped them
Blatham got there first
He's a Major General
An' his chest's about to burst

He's overall Supremo