How do I stir up the Cambridge Philosophy budget scoffers?

spendius

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 04:14 am
One of which is the spleen.

In general vital organs are protected by bone structures."Vital" can mean different things in different places,classes and comfort zones.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 08:15 am
hiyeeeeeee.
or should i say bonjour! I have been in france but im back now!
i have been at disneyland doing a series of concerts.
it was well good. every1 having fun?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 05:30 pm
No stomach trouble then?
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 06:43 pm
No spendy, sorry to dissapoint. he he.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 09:46 pm
Spendi? Are you there?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 03:35 am
Yep.

Hope you're keeping your chin up.

Love spendi.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 06:43 am
I'm fine. And the MG is doing better too.

How are you?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 07:12 am
Lola-

Same as usual I suppose.

You seem to be all action.

Two of my pub pals have had bypasses.Is Bernie on for that?I know a fair bit about it.But my views are not really all that easy to take I'm afraid.What's his Cholesterol reading?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 08:30 am
His cholesterol reading is good, but the angiogram pictures are clear. They did an angioplasty on Saturday to clear the blockage in one artery that was causing the acute problem. But there are three more significant blockages in a second artery that will be cleared in another angio tomorrow. So far it looks like he's escaped the by-pass surgery. We'll see what they recommend when they're done with the roto-rooter procedure.

How are your arteries? Have you been to the doc lately? It was a very frightening scene on Saturday morning. I had been home for one hour when it happened. I hate to think what would have been the outcome had I not been here. He came very close to death at least three times.

He's doing better now and he'll never smoke again. But there are other good aspects of life he will be free to enjoy for some time to come.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 09:01 am
Lola-

Stopping smoking is all very well but it isn't the full answer by any means.I happen to think that moderate smoking has some beneficial effect which has to be set against the harm it does.I think the number and type of cigarette are important factors.How many was he smoking?

Diet seems to me to be much more important as does the stress factor.But diet first.Vegan of course.And just enough exercise every day to cause mild panting.Which should be easy enough to arrange by the sound of things.

According to your Dr Barnard a cholesterol figure of 3.9 is the cut off point.He says that above that you are still getting worse albeit more slowly than at 6.0,say.I think the US uses a different notation but you can find what 3.9 is equivalent to easily enough.

If you want a proven cholesterol reducing regimen I have one.I think (NB) that I also know which information is useless.

I smoke about 10-14 a day and I restrict inhalation like Mr Clinton did.And I roll my own.

The simple rules for diet is eat nothing that has a liver,includes milk, and nothing associated with the palm tree and get plenty porrige.

And that goes for you too my leetle tweetie-pie.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 03:10 pm
Smoked like a chimney.
Diet with plenty of red meat
Brandy and Port in copious quantities
Stress like you will never know.

Winston Churchill 1874 to 1965

Rest in peace !
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 11:02 pm
Churchill was very lucky, but most aren't. You know Mathos that anecdotal evidence is no evidence at all.

Yes, Spendi, I agree with you mostly, except for the cigarettes. And the vegan part........so maybe that makes us in disagreement. Balance and not too much or too little of anything seems to be the key. But too little of cigarettes is fine for me.

But I do agree that relaxation is good.

And as you must know, cholesterol count is not important at all compared to the size and shape of the cholesterol particles.

I can only quote the doctor on the cigarette subject. He told me this: "There were several points at which Bernie could have died this morning. Actually he did die once and we revived him. He HAS to quit smoking."

You shoulda been there. It was horrifying. Bernie must not smoke again. And you should stop yourself, mr tweedle dee dum.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 06:53 am
I have read Lord Moran's diaries and I don't think Mr Churchill was all that lucky with his health.

There is a lot of stuff you don't know about tobacco which is understandable because very little of it ever reaches the public domain.Of course it is harmful if abused like many other things and writers are notorious for doing just that.The propaganda is one sided to say the least.It is actually an extremely complex subject.

Some of us don't have 100% confidence in the medical profession.We tend to think,along with Ivan Illich and others,that they seek to keep the population in a permanent state of sub-lethal ill health.All bureaucracies have a marked tendency to pursue policies which enable them to expand their power and influence and the medical bureaucracy could hardly do that with a healthy population.It is rather odd how people are quite content to charge the military or the oil companies with this type of cynicism and then lose their bearings on doctors despite the fact that they have been to the same schools and universities and have watched the same TV programmes as have all the others.

You haven't answered the question about Bernie's daily intake and choice of brand.Don't you think that this exclusive emphasis on cigarettes is taking the heat out of all other possible causes of which there are more than a few.

Do you know that there is research which shows the usefulness of tobacco in brain function and stress control.You do know that some doctors smoke don't you and I know one who actually recommends moderate smoking.A glass of red wine is a health drink and a bottle full is poison.One really can't afford to be using tobacco as a scapegoat for general over-indulgence in pleasure routines.I wouldn't eat a breakfast fry-up under any circumstances short of serious hunger.50 years of that stuff,with lunches and dinners to match,60 fags a day,little or no exercise,
traffic pollution,salt addiction,stress unlimited,various dietary deficiencies and copious alcohol is enough to lay out most constitutions and it does indeed do so.

Sorry to be just slightly tough.I always run with the bastards.

Give Bernie my regards which you have too.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 06:58 am
Thanks Spendi. I'll give him your regards. You're right about smoking not being the only factor. Of course that's true. It's a big subject and we'll have to talk about it sometime.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 07:20 am
Lola-

Don't forget yourself.You will be more use to Bernie fighting fit than otherwise.That is sometimes tough to do.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 10:46 pm
It's true Spendi. I'm very tired tonight but happy that Bernie made it. He's doing well and after a night's sleep, I'll be able to think more clearly.

Good night sweet friend.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 03:22 pm
the inactivity on this thread is deafening..........
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 03:29 pm
What could we do to revive it?
Ethel2

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2006 03:44 pm
we could start a little something.........maybe talk bad trash about the Cambridge philosophy imposters.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 07:09 am
@Francis,
Have you any suggestions yourself Francis? I think the main reason it died was Bernie's brush with the wide blue yonder.
0 Replies