How do I stir up the Cambridge Philosophy budget scoffers?

Ethel2

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 06:21 am
Celibacy...........I don't know.

But let's talk about the novelists of the realist school. Literature is so much more interesting than philosophy anyway.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 06:35 am
"Be regular and orderly in your life like a bourgeois, so that you may be violent and original in your work."

Excellent maxim.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 06:54 am
Lola:-

Right!You have partially conceded.I don't expect more.It is a valid position and it is a good one for beautiful,intelligent and well-off women.All the rest is for women on the make.I just focussed on those ladies described in Brantome's The Lives of Gallant Ladies.Rich women have a problem.And men have a big problem.I'm trying to save a few.OK?I know it will only be a few.

I agree literature comes first but only because that is where the real philosophy is.

I noted your Spooner.Very interesting.

What do you mean by bourgeois?

I have some great stuff lined up just for you.The C argument has scared them off mostly.

What books are important to you?
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 06:57 am
Lola - hi! Haven't looked in here in many weeks and wasn't sure where to contact you and thank you and Blatham for the invitation - sorry couldn't meet you.

I see someone is trying to confuse you concerning the Eleusinian Mysteries - they took place for an entire millenium and nobody during all those centuries ever disclosed what happened there. So therefore - if I may address your correspondent in a manner he's sure to understand:

πρὸ του δὲ περιτρέχων όπη τύχοιμι καὶ οιόμενος τὶ ποιειν αθλιώτερος η οτουουν, ουχ ηττον η σὺ νυνί, οιόμενος δειν πάντα μαλλον πράττειν ὴ φιλοσοφειν." [..] "άρα πάλαι, ως έοικεν. αλλὰ τίς σοι διηγειτο; η αυτὸς Σωκράτης;"

(N.B. this is my translation):
...what with all this running about randomly under the mistaken impression I was accomplishing something I was completely miserable - no less than you are now, imagining you'd rather do anything except philosophising [..] "but who told you about this symposium? Socrates himself?"

<G>
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 07:03 am
P.S. to Lola - my e-mail remains N34_W118 at yahoo; I don't know when (or if) I can look in here again, but don't hesitate to contact me for queries on partial differential equations and/or Attic Greek! Love to you and Bernie,

signed: Helena von T. (leaving for Berlin tonight, whence this version:))
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 07:12 am
Hi Helen,

Interesting quote. I'll be in touch. When you return, maybe we can get together. I would enjoy.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 07:19 am
Bernie says, "First she takes Manhatten, then she takes Berlin." Funny man, bernie.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 07:21 am
Spendius,

My favorite books are:

1. Huckleberry Finn

2. The Catcher in the Rye

3. Portnoy's Complaint

In that order.

Yes......my spooner was interesting. It seems Mathos has decided to make up with you.
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 07:22 am
Lola - will be leaving at 10 pm, have appointment midtown at 6 pm for drinks so can call you at about 1900 hrs if you'll e-mail me a phone number before that time for very brief get-together.

Btw, you can look up the complete text in this link - you may have to adjust your display as my settings are for the Greek text only:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.01.0173;query=section%3D%23485;layout=;loc=Sym.%20172a

P.S. if I haven't called by 1915 hrs pls don't wait, it means I'm going directly to the airport. Back in 3 weeks.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 07:23 am
But I find I have to do it the other way around. I have to be violent and original in my life so that I can be regular and orderly in my work. It works both ways, I suppose.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 07:33 am
Lola:-

All American eh?

Can't remember Huck.

Catcher ace but light.

Portnoy sounded daft so didn't bother.Why is it good?Persuade me and I'll persuade you on Emily darling.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 07:36 am
I also love Emily as well. Portnoy and "Wuthering Heights" are on the same subject. I just prefer Philip Roth's presentation. Maybe it's because I'm American. and I admit, I don't remember reading WH. So maybe I should try.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 07:38 am
But I still prefer Charlotte. Middlemarch was her's right?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 07:45 am
No.I don't think so.Wasn't it George Eliot?

I seem to remember you saying that you didn't like WH.I can't imagine why that would be on the same subject as Portnoy but I don't know that so explain please.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 07:46 am
Gustav Flaubert has recently come to my attention as well. What do you have to say for yourself, Spendi love?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 07:50 am
Oh yes, you're right. I have always confused Charlotte Bronte and George Eliot.......I don't know why. Maybe it's the writing style or subject matter.......I'm not sure.

The reason I don't like WH is because it ends in tragedy. And I try to avoid tragedy whenever possible. It annoys me.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 07:51 am
He is just wonderful.I am always talking about him.He wasn't an eebie you know.Not when he wrote the big one I mean.
I have my suspicions.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 07:57 am
Quote:
I have my suspicions

Yes, so do I. I can think of at least two possibilities. But I'm favoring one.

the maxim above was a famous quotation of Flaubert's. did you recognize it?

And I understand that Flaubert had a love for prostitutes. He lived with his mother until he was 50. And made frequent visits to Paris.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 08:32 am
Okay.

Anthony Escobart talking about sins a Jesuit priest may commit.

"It is lawful....to make use of the science acquired through the assistance of the Devil,for the knowledge is good in itself,and the sin by which it was acquired has gone by."

Nice piece of sophistry eh?

But there is a truth there which answers a point I think you raised yesterday and which I answered slightly differently.The philosopher does "know" women but they don't influence his ideas outside of that science.I don't think a married man,esp with daughters,can be expected to be so tough.He would probably get a belt with a rolling pin if he tried it.

Gustave is supposed to have done the "Rover" with his top hat on and smoking a cigar just to prove he was working.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 08:38 am
Hmm...nice chat...
0 Replies