How do I stir up the Cambridge Philosophy budget scoffers?

Ethel2

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 07:37 am
Quote:
I have found a potential signature-

If women had intelligence men would lie prostrate.

Any good?

Only if you are lying down when you write it, dear Spendi.........

<laughing>
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 07:42 am
Lola:-

And men aren't are they?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 07:44 am
Time out.30 mins.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 07:50 am
spendius wrote:

And men aren't are they?

Spendius? Are you grumpy with me for some reason? Men aren't what? Intelligent or lying down? Men are wonderful creatures. Some are intelligent and some are not. I do love an intelligent man. And I find men love intelligence in a lady as well. A rose is a complex creature.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 08:15 am

I have already told you.I am never grumpy.Never.
And even if I was I would never be grumpy with you.Not ever.Do you not know that the state of grumpiness is a personal failing of the grumpy which is understandable in those suffering pain but not otherwise.

What I was thinking was that women have such an enormous advantage over men that if they had intelligence as well it would be no contest.Hence,by a process of simple logic,if a contest exists women must not be intelligent.

It's only a bit of fun as Clary said.

Hey-put a paper up to the transport dept.If you attach a jack-hammer to the bottom lip of certain threaders you could dig the roads up without using deisel fuel.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 08:44 am
NobleCon wrote:
When will this occur Lola? And, if I may, who will be there?

I would love to join you. Where will this meeting be held?

I must apologize, NobleCon. I haven't seen this post until now. I sent you a PM. Can you get those yet? If not, let me know here.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 08:46 am
Good........I forget that you don't get grumpy. Thanks for the reminder.

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood today, Spendius. Sun's shinning and the temperature is pleasant.

la te da la te da
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 08:54 am
did you see, Spendi?.......Queenie just posted on the Who Exists thread.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 09:09 am

Sounds like you are trying to say-"amuse me I'm bored."

I have all sorts of stuff backed up for your amusement but when you vanish it gets a bit lost as the present overwhelmes it.I have a psycholinguistic analysis of a movie I saw with five dykes in the starring roles.That's quite good in a scoffing sort of way.

I had a new experience.A geyser in the pub told me a joke he didn't get himself.Have you ever heard of a thing like that before?

He said,as we slumped on the bar in desultory moping mode-

"spendius-how do you spell FISH?"

So I said,knowing better than to try any fancy footwork with that sort of thing-
"Eff Aye Ess Aitch".
The clunk said-
"No-it's Gee Aitch Oh Tee Aye".
I knew I was supposed to say "how do you work that out?" so,not being awkward as I'm not,I said-
"How do you work that out?"
He said-
"Gee Aitch as in enough,Oh as in women and Tee Aye as in caution."
Well I really laughed.And he was pleased at my doing so and he laughed and so did Vic who is my intellectual sparring partner.
The next night I told fatso how good I thought his parable was about the FISH.
"Parable spendi?" he queried.
That's when I knew he hadn't got the joke he had told.
When I decoded it for him as "Enough Women! CAUTION" he looked like he might be about to do something indiscreet.Well-indiscreet on the bar I mean.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 09:11 am

Yes I had seen it but first things first is my motto.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 09:56 am
spendius wrote:

Sounds like you are trying to say-"amuse me I'm bored."

I have all sorts of stuff backed up for your amusement but when you vanish it gets a bit lost as the present overwhelmes it.I have a psycholinguistic analysis of a movie I saw with five dykes in the starring roles.That's quite good in a scoffing sort of way.

I had a new experience.A geyser in the pub told me a joke he didn't get himself.Have you ever heard of a thing like that before?

He said,as we slumped on the bar in desultory moping mode-

"spendius-how do you spell FISH?"

So I said,knowing better than to try any fancy footwork with that sort of thing-
"Eff Aye Ess Aitch".
The clunk said-
"No-it's Gee Aitch Oh Tee Aye".
I knew I was supposed to say "how do you work that out?" so,not being awkward as I'm not,I said-
"How do you work that out?"
He said-
"Gee Aitch as in enough,Oh as in women and Tee Aye as in caution."
Well I really laughed.And he was pleased at my doing so and he laughed and so did Vic who is my intellectual sparring partner.
The next night I told fatso how good I thought his parable was about the FISH.
"Parable spendi?" he queried.
That's when I knew he hadn't got the joke he had told.
When I decoded it for him as "Enough Women! CAUTION" he looked like he might be about to do something indiscreet.Well-indiscreet on the bar I mean.

Sorry Spendi........I've failed to get it myself. Please explain further. Being a woman, I need help.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 03:10 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
[]

Quote:
/quote]

Don't know it, but I'll look. The verses (particularly) and lyrics to songs from the '30s & '40s were often both beautiful and little noticed. Even some more recent ones - including a few of Dylan's Baby Blue, Tamborine man, etc. Do you recall Rolf Harris' (Tie me kangaroo Down Sport" ) song "Two Little Boys"? -- corny, but magical. I'm no parrot head, but do like some of Jimmy Buffet's songs as well.

Jimmy Buffett's songs Sister George?

Margaritaville ?

Rolf Harris ?

Two Little Boy's ? Tie me kangaroo down sport?

Things can only get better. I am sure The Maharajah will be delighted with your choice. Won't you Spendius..
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 04:12 pm
NobleCon wrote:
My own interpretation of 'groomed' you say? I assume you mean in reference to my enquiry on the CPD admissions.

My guess is that the CPD "grooms" its applicants in the sense not that it "raises" them as it were to enter the department from fetus to their O-levels, but rather in the sense of "selections" of attributes and specializations that may be congenial to the CPD. In this way, "groomed" can be viewed as "profiling" or "weeding out" the "appropriate" candidates for admission. Intuitively, this comes to mind.

Though perhaps you mean something more. I am not certain, and I am not familair with the admissions procedures of Cambridge in general. I would like to know of course, as I will be submitting my application for gradute studies in maths in '07.

Yes you answered satisfactorily NC. The grooming process may be well described as akin to cloning.

I have no knowledge of the admission procedures of Cambridge. However, I was many years ago informed of a question asked by a mathematician within those grounds.

We accept there are 365 days in each year (leap years excluded)
There are 7 days in a week.
There are 52 weeks in a year.
7 x 52 =364

Where does the extra day come from?

And a simple one also.
What is 2/3 of 3/5 ?

I would assume your mathematical knowledge may treat the above with contempt. However, I am simply replying to your post, with an addition of humour.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 05:26 am
Answers will be forthcoming as most threaders and their children.if any,know them.I wouldn't insult their intelligence by doing so myself but a "newly hatched" may not have picked up on where we are at.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 09:42 am

I'm out ot time.Study it a little.It is a very clever MCP yoke.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 02:40 pm
spendius wrote:

I'm out ot time.Study it a little.It is a very clever MCP yoke.

Yes Knock Kneed Lola, study it deeply.

The clown is baffled again.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 05:51 am

I wouldn't put up with that if I was you.

He must mean you because you are the one who is baffled.He can't mean me because I did the baffling.

You explain the GHOTI joke Mathos just to prove you're not the clown.

And "knock kneed" is ridiculous.A careful study of your avvie,which I have undertaken a few times,is conclusive proof that you are not knock kneed.A bit bow-legged maybe.(From all that riding).

Sadly,it is a Bank Holiday this weekend (phew!) so it will probably be Tuesday before I reappear.

Have fun.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 03:27 pm
I rather think Spendius has been over indulging the cheap cider over here KKL.

In a sober stance I am most certain he would have leapt to your defence ! In my wildest dreams I never expected to witness 'The Clown' join my 'sport' at your affliction.

It is indeed a common trait for these tykes of the county of their birth to swap their resolutions of loyalty when the chips are down, so to speak.

It is quite normal to locate these sots prostrate in shop doorways, their trousers stained with urine, un-shaven, glassy eyed, and mumbling obscenities at the public in general, the female sex in particular. In due course, and on a regular basis the officers of The Law will attend with the meat wagon and duly remove them. However, one has to be considerate to the concerns of the aforementioned officers who do not wish to be a nuisance creator to their superiors by dragging a chronic drunkard such as Spendius into the newly built, freshly tiled cells down at the village nick.

Life in general my dear KKL was far more pleasant when the officer could simply fasten them in the village stocks, the aggrieved public were commissioned to pelt the miscreants with rotten fruit or horse dung for a twenty four hour period.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 06:31 am
What makes you so sure Spendius is a drunkard, Mathos? Is your name Vic?

Spendius,

Is this right?

http://www.alphadictionary.com/articles/ling006.html

Quote:
How to pronounce "GHOTI"... and why

Did you ever wonder why we spell some words in English in ways which bear no resemblance to the way they are pronounced, for example:

laugh sigh sight
enough nigh night
rough thigh height
rough thigh height
cough sleigh light

Remember Bernard Shaw's word ghoti with the [gh] from "laugh", the [o] from "women" and the [ti] from "nation" and could be pronounced "fish"? Would you believe after that, that the distribution of the two pronunciations of [gh] in English is amazingly regular? See if you can figure out the rule. The [gh] was originally pronounced like the [ch] in Scottish loch "lake" or German lachen "laugh" (like you're clearing your throat). The preceding represented lip-rounding (watch yourself pronounce the sound in the mirror - what happens to your lips?) which was pronounced simultaneously with [gh]. When the [gh] disappeared because it was so softly pronounced, lip-rounding changed to lip-biting (check where your teeth are when you pronounce [v] or [f]. So [gh] ended up pronounced [f] because of the disappearance of a softly pronounced consonant and a shift of lip activity.

However, [gh] did not develop into [f] everywhere. To detect the word position in which it did, compare the following examples with those in (1) above. If you still aren't sure of the answer, click here.

bought sought caught daughter
fought ought taught slaughter

In fact, the original sound of [gh] in English was the same as the [ch] sound in Germanic languages from which Englis (German, Dutch, Flemish, Swedish, Danish, Icelandic, and Norwegian) historically developed. Take a look at the following words from German, where the sound is usually represented by the letters [ch]. The sound goes back to an even older stage when it was pronounced [k]. To see this, compare the Germanic words in English with related words borrowed from Latin. The stems in the Latin words were originally the same stems in Indo-European as those in the Germanic words.

ENGLISH GERMAN LATIN
eight acht octopus [oktopus]
fight fechten infect [infekt]
right Recht rectify [rektify]
high hoch

By the way, the change of [k] to German [ch] followed the same Grimm's Law that gave us Germanic [f] from Indo-European [p] and [th] from [t].
The branch of linguistics dealing with sounds and sound changes is phonology. If you figured out the rules explaining the examples above, you might be interested in other aspects of how your brain and tongue are wired together - and how they are wired to the heads of ancestors going back to the Dnepr valley 5,000 years ago. Remember the magic word: LINGUISTICS. It doesn't mean speaking a lot of languages. And it may be the newest science.

Answer
Old English [gh] became [f] after when it was at the end of words. There were exceptions, though: "through" (and related "thorough"), "borough," for example. However, this position is the only one where [gh] became [f] over the history of the language.

laugh sigh sight
enough nigh night
rough thigh height
tough high right
cough sleigh light

When [gh] occurred after but NOT at the end of a word, it simply disappeared and is no longer pronounced.
bought sought caught daughter
fought ought taught slaughter
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 06:46 am
Or how about this?

http://www.3dham.com/ghoti.html

Quote:
GHOTI DOES NOT SPELL FISH!

gh cannot have an "F" sound at the beginning of a word (give just one example)
it cannot have an "SH" sound at the end of a word (give just one example)

It is true that GH can have an "ef" sound at the end of a word as in "rough" ,"cough" ,"laugh", etc. GH can also have an "ef" sound in the middle of a word as in "roughage" and "laughing". However, GH never has an "ef" sound at the beginning of a word. It cannot be used that way. It is always preceded by a vowel!
Though there are few examples, o can have an "i" sound as in "women".
TI, on the other hand, cannot be used at the end of a word. It must be followed by a vowel! In fact, it isn't actually "ti" that has the sh sound, it is the combination of i and another vowel, the "t" is actually almost silent as in the common construction "tion". So you see, ti alone doesn't have an "sh" sound it is the combination of t, i, and another vowel (usually o) that has an sh sound and it must be followed by at least one more letter.
People don't think of "fish" when they see "ghoti" because "gh" and "ti" are never used that way!

In short, even in the world of irregular English spelling, you cannot spell fish "ghoti" any more than you can spell it "OLJHGOIUZXX". The latter makes just as much sense as the former.

You could spell fish "phoche" (PHoto wOmen quiCHE), but why would you want to?
0 Replies