How do I stir up the Cambridge Philosophy budget scoffers?

spendius

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 09:50 am
Oh those lovely loins now they are double girded.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 12:22 pm
My kit has gone and gone whatsits up and it looks like a few days.

Sighs of relief.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 07:15 am
Lola:-

I'm working on a post concerning philosophy being the concern of celibates which will automatically disqualify most of the CPD and attempt to prove that they are taking the taxpayer for a ride.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 09:37 am
bring it on, dear spendius.

But my daughters and grand daughter are visiting and my time is a bit scarce for the next few weeks.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 05:07 am

A nice quote I found.

"Patients suffering from compulsive neuroses banish ideas by merely withdrawing attention or affective engagement from them."

It is from Reich's Dialectical Materialism and Psychoanalysis which is one of the things I read over the celebrations of Eastertime.

What about this for a signature?

"I like to fold my magic carpet,after use, in such a way as to superimpose one part of the pattern upon another.
A sense of oneness with sun and stone."

Vladimir Nabukov,Speak Memory.

I saw it in a film about chasing the author of The Stones of Summer which I've never seen.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 09:08 am

Unfortunately I have been urgently called away as a construction project I am a key component of has need of my attention.

Have you pondered the matter of celibacy in an elite philosophy department yet?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 09:29 am
So sorry to find you gone. I was eating breakfast. My daughter and grand daughter are still visiting until Saturday. And on Monday afternoon, I'll be flying back to Oregon to visit the other two.

I think very little about celibacy as I consider it to be unnecessary in every circumstance.
0 Replies

hexster23

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 12:04 pm
Hey all. I'm new to this whole philosophy thing. Just started the class at school. Right now we are covering "The Mind and Body Problem." I'm not sure what to believe. Can you guys give me any ideas of what you belive? Also if you have the time can you just a short paragraph about your favorite philosophical idea. I'm trying to figure out what is in the World Of Philosophy. Thanks,

Chris
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 03:35 am
Hexy:-

Mind=Body=Brain.It's all one.No separation.

My favourite philosophical notion is likely a little too advanced for someone of your tender years.You should study physics and maths or something similar for a while and save up philosophy for when you are getting old and grey and cynical enough to enjoy it.It is far too challenging for sweet young innocents who's subjectivity is naturally rampant.
Whatever you do don't use philosophy in order to have an easy academic ride.That is one of those temptations which ought to be resisted.Teachers often succumb for a glide option.Threaders too.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 08:25 am

Okay then that you consider celibacy "unnecessary in every circumstance."

One presumes therefore that you think married priests,bishops,cardinals and popes are perfectly acceptable and that the Church has been up a gum tree for as long as it matters.Is that right?
You are one against many on this one.

Dons at Oxbridge were required to be unmarried not all that long ago and not just philosophy dons.We were running an Empire then.Now it's a junk shop and if there were to be as many snowflakes as there are lies we would all have to stay indoors and wait for a thaw.
What I want to know is how can a family man have the necessary objectivity to be a philosopher when the area of study impinges on such matters as it does.The real one I mean.

Answer-change the area of study and use big words and long sentences to bamboozle the Gov't into handing the taxpayers money over and keeping silent about our future King and his contortions with Andrew Parker-Bowles' wife.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 03:00 pm
Celibacy My Dear Spendius, I thought that was an erectile disfunction which only applied to eunuchs?

We know perfectly well the priests and the Don's simply nodded approval
and sought forgiveness later as all good Christians do!
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 03:26 pm
I think there is no good excuse for celibacy of any kind. And I often doubt it exists. I can't see why good, satisfying sex should interfere with the objective mind. No sex would interfere however. I think celibacy is foolish.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 03:56 pm
I cannot concur with you strongly enough Dear Lola,(your early?) I rather think, any man claiming celibacy as part of his diet is experiencing erectile disfunction and is too embarrassed to seek aid. It has to be a psychological problem, even for the Norman Bate's of this world and there will be many of them. I rather think a celibate man is a highly dangerous man, as Alfred Hitock went to the pain of pointing out quite liberally. Your views sweet lady?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 10:52 pm
Now you guys stop it. I love the attention, but this is not necessary.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 11:20 pm
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1269856#1269856

Come see me at the coffee house, y'all.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:27 am
Lola and Mathos:-

Not time today.This election boom will do me in if I'm not careful.

I cannot resist providing you both with an answer which will be forthcoming ASAP.Rest assured you won't be lacking in food for thought.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 01:07 pm
Spendi.........sorry you're so busy. I'll be back from the West Coast on Sunday. Then my timing will be better. Looking forward to your answer.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 03:06 pm
Lola, our colleague shows signs of panic ! It is no doubt a great pity the improvement in turnover should not cause a business man to be sad, and certainly not one who professes to be a Freudian Phillosopher. Perhaps this erectile disfunction is playing havoc with his mind, and simply creating stress. Does he really lay evidence to his thoughts? This election boom will do me in if I'm not careful. It could be a Blair/Brown strategy to rake in on the inheritance tax I suppose.

Never trust men in suits !
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 12:37 am
Never trust anyone over thirty either.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 03:14 am
Tricky this.

I'll admit to being over thirty so Lola doesn't trust me.

I never wear a suit so Mathos does.

Bloody hell.Jumping jockstraps!!

I do know that Lola doesn't mean she can trust anyone under thirty or that Mathos doesn't mean he can trust anyone not in a suit but still......

Mathos-get this.Get it good.I'm not a Freudian.Freud read Malleus Malificarum and did not understand it.I did understand it.I'll admit that the key sentence in it is easy to miss but miss it Freud did and I didn't.Once you get it the rest of it just flows.Miss it and you get confused.He may,of course,have missed it on purpose in the service of his vaunting ambition relying on everybody else missing it as well but there you go.It's the way of the world as Auberon Waugh used to say (RIP).
0 Replies